SOX street lights, which areas still have them?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

tipsynurse
Banned

Re: SOX street lights, which areas still have them?

Post by tipsynurse »

I'm in a quandry a the moment, the entrance to the old mostly abandoned WW2 part of my hospital is lit by SOX - not remarkable columns but it gives a certain faded grandeur at night.

A lot of the bulbs have gone but I am loathed to report it to estates in case they just replace them with cheap wall mounted floodlights instead, as I understand SOX bulbs are increasingly expensive.

The newer part of the site is lit by unlovely SON.
TamcourtLewie

Post by TamcourtLewie »

Most main roads in Glasgow now have LED lanterns fitted, but most side streets still have lots of SOX, I live in Glasgow and contacted the council to ask when they will start more residential areas this is the reply i got:

Dear Lewis

At present Glasgow City Council is planning for the next stage of LED lantern installations city-wide and some of these will indeed be installed in residential areas. At present though I am unable to provide a date or location for when the works for these areas will be carried out.

I thank you for your interest and hopefully in the future I will have some news about your area.

Trust this is of assistance.

Yours sincerely
Divine

Post by Divine »

TamcourtLewie wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 16:14 Most main roads in Glasgow now have LED lanterns fitted, but most side streets still have lots of SOX, I live in Glasgow and contacted the council to ask when they will start more residential areas this is the reply i got:

Dear Lewis

At present Glasgow City Council is planning for the next stage of LED lantern installations city-wide and some of these will indeed be installed in residential areas. At present though I am unable to provide a date or location for when the works for these areas will be carried out.

I thank you for your interest and hopefully in the future I will have some news about your area.

Trust this is of assistance.

Yours sincerely
Oh no! This might mark the end of Glasgow's SOX street lights.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Divine wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:38 Oh no! This might mark the end of Glasgow's SOX street lights.
It would be a pity if the SOX lanterns disappeared from Glasgow, in particular the Tamcourt Tamlite lanterns and the last of the top entry SOX.
Little Owl

Post by Little Owl »

tipsynurse wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 20:42 I'm in a quandry a the moment, the entrance to the old mostly abandoned WW2 part of my hospital is lit by SOX - not remarkable columns but it gives a certain faded grandeur at night.

A lot of the bulbs have gone but I am loathed to report it to estates in case they just replace them with cheap wall mounted floodlights instead, as I understand SOX bulbs are increasingly expensive.

The newer part of the site is lit by unlovely SON.
Imagine XE (the currency exchange site) posting currency exchange rates for SOX bulbs (per watt), like what the Fallout series did with bottle caps.

Although I will have to find a lot of quotes from so many places around the internet to get the mid-market rate per watt. :wink:
scott125

Post by scott125 »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 17:38
Divine wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:38 Oh no! This might mark the end of Glasgow's SOX street lights.
It would be a pity if the SOX lanterns disappeared from Glasgow, in particular the Tamcourt Tamlite lanterns and the last of the top entry SOX.
The tamlites are pretty exclusive to Glasgow arent they , seen them in Bulgaria too ! I wonder how long Glasgows SOX will go .
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

scott125 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:09
The tamlites are pretty exclusive to Glasgow arent they , seen them in Bulgaria too ! I wonder how long Glasgows SOX will go .
Tamlites were regularly used in Dumfries and Galloway (there were a lot of them in Dumfries at one stage) and also in South Lanarkshire. You may still find a few on the non-trunk A roads in those counties, where LED has not yet been rolled out.

I remember that Crawford and Abington used to have a glorious mix of GEC Z9454's, Eleco, Thorn Alpha 4's and Tamlites on what was the A74 before the villages were bypassed in the 1960's. I wonder whether they are still there.
scott125

Post by scott125 »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 13:55
scott125 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:09

Tamlites were regularly used in Dumfries and Galloway (there were a lot of them in Dumfries at one stage) and also in South Lanarkshire. You may still find a few on the non-trunk A roads in those counties, where LED has not yet been rolled out.

I remember that Crawford and Abington used to have a glorious mix of GEC Z9454's, Eleco, Thorn Alpha 4's and Tamlites on what was the A74 before the villages were bypassed in the 1960's. I wonder whether they are still there.
Still quite a few Thorn Alpha 4s around . I thought they were installed in the 80s at the earliest . As for Tamlites the early 90s? Seen a few top hung tamlites in Glasgow today .
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

The most modern 'mainstream' SOX lantern would appear to be the Philips Residium series (XGS223-225), presumably launched alongside the Iridium in the early 2000s but primarily targetted PL-L lamps. Having seen a few in Herts, my impression of their performance at night is that of a clearer beam with a sharper cut-off than that of the more traditional XGS103-105 designs. This range was killed off along with the SRS201 in 2014, probably to clear the way for the even newer WRTL Libra which remains part of Signify's catalogue.
TamcourtLewie

Post by TamcourtLewie »

Thorn Beta 2 is probably the most common SOX lantern in Glasgow aswell as the Alpha 4 and Tamcourt.

Infact Tamcourts are still installed as Glasgow City Council's maintenance lantern. :)
Little Owl

Post by Little Owl »

New LED lanterns on the slip roads of Junction 6 of the M1 are now in operation.

The northern third of the surviving section of M1 MA60s (Junction 5 and Junction 6) appear to be switched off.
Divine

Post by Divine »

Calderdale seem to have some left and also Kirklees. Barnsley only have SOX on main roads as around 90% have gone from B roads etc. MA60's still common around Barnsley and Calderdale. Although Kirklees seems to only have a few left. Meltham has some SOX lights remaining and Upper Denby did until now, still a few fittings left. Rural Kirklees was mostly SOX 10 years ago, but times have changed sadly.
scott125

Post by scott125 »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.28556 ... 6656?hl=en

Mini Phillips lanterns i seen when heading out of Scarborough , still pretty much complete. Anyone know how old they are?
scott125

Post by scott125 »

TamcourtLewie wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 19:29 Thorn Beta 2 is probably the most common SOX lantern in Glasgow aswell as the Alpha 4 and Tamcourt.

Infact Tamcourts are still installed as Glasgow City Council's maintenance lantern. :)
How long have Glasgow been using tamcourts ?
Worcestershire Wolf

Post by Worcestershire Wolf »

scott125 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 20:30 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.28556 ... 6656?hl=en

Mini Phillips lanterns i seen when heading out of Scarborough , still pretty much complete. Anyone know how old they are?
Now gone I am afraid if you check out the 2017 images:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.28562 ... 6656?hl=en
scott125

Post by scott125 »

Worcestershire Wolf wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 20:58
scott125 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 20:30 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.28556 ... 6656?hl=en

Now gone I am afraid if you check out the 2017 images:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.28562 ... 6656?hl=en
Strange as i was on that road last Friday and the SOX was mostly there . Must be just this stretch.
scott125

Post by scott125 »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.85028 ... 6656?hl=en

These street still has plenty of SOX , looks original columns and lanterns , early 1980s perhaps?
Also seen a new MA50 that has been installed too.
Divine

Post by Divine »

Coming back from work through Thornhill and to my surprise there was a road full of Alpha 4's in one patch. There are also some random MA50, MA60, Alpha 4, Beta 5, MI36 and a couple of other GEC fittings remaining around Dewsbury/Batley area weirdly.

Alpha 4 road: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.66802 ... 312!8i6656
This patch still has Alpha 4's and they stop before the bend where there was once a building.

This bend still has 3 fittings: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.66635 ... 312!8i6656

The end 2 fittings still remain: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.66079 ... 312!8i6656
Stesee

Post by Stesee »

Holland Still have SOX lighting.
peter1uk

Post by peter1uk »

Quite a lot of Portishead's main roads are still SOX.