Are these the shortest lived streetlamps?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Garsty

Re: Are these the shortest lived streetlamps?

Post by Garsty »

haymansafc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 13:44
Bfivethousand wrote:And here's the opposite situation - a traditional Welsh village which is now illuminated by fugly out-of-place modern street lighting. Which, for some reason, are positioned opposite each other through the centre of the village.
Crikey :shock: . Talk about being 'overkill' with lighting, never mind completely out of character! Those are the sorts of columns you find on recently developed or redeveloped areas. Not in traditional town centres... I always thought what we have here on Whitby Road in Ellesmere Port (the 'traditional high street') was pretty bad, but your example takes it to another level.
I think it was 2004 those were installed, I still remember the disruption it caused as the whole road was one-way for weeks. They also originally had large spikes on the top, which were later removed, you can see the spikes in this picture: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vertigogen/66798111/
Little Owl

Post by Little Owl »

A new column with a pair of SONs recently replaced a damaged column on the M1 recently, south of Bucknalls Lane. I believe they put up the SON column as an interim road safety measure, even though the whole stretch in question is going to be replaced soon.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

In Workngton some of the heritage style street lights that were erected in the noughties have had their lanterns replaced with ugly, flat LED lanterns that resemble the peak of a baseball cap. It really spoils the look of them.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Garsty wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 17:12
haymansafc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 13:44
Bfivethousand wrote:And here's the opposite situation - a traditional Welsh village which is now illuminated by fugly out-of-place modern street lighting. Which, for some reason, are positioned opposite each other through the centre of the village.
Crikey :shock: . Talk about being 'overkill' with lighting, never mind completely out of character! Those are the sorts of columns you find on recently developed or redeveloped areas. Not in traditional town centres... I always thought what we have here on Whitby Road in Ellesmere Port (the 'traditional high street') was pretty bad, but your example takes it to another level.
I think it was 2004 those were installed, I still remember the disruption it caused as the whole road was one-way for weeks. They also originally had large spikes on the top, which were later removed, you can see the spikes in this picture: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vertigogen/66798111/
Of course Blackpool had to get one better for ugly lights.....
www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.8188245,-3.05 ... 312!8i6656
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The Newcastle Coast Rd, before it was turned into D3, had most of its lights replaced in the late fifties and early sixties, yet as the road was being rebuilt and needed taller and brighter lights, these were all ripped out in the late sixties. I'd guess some only lasted six years.
XC70

Post by XC70 »

Truvelo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 19:57 On this new development there are modern streetlamps with heritage columns next to them. I would assume the heritage columns will be retained and the plain ones removed. To replace streetlamps before the road is even finished seems a shocking waste of money or lack of joined up thinking.
I could live with either of the lighting columns, but the worst thing for me is that Sky Co-Ax wrapping the whole house. They even split it round the porch for some unfathomable reason.....