Bristol Post-top Lighting

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FleetlinePhil

Bristol Post-top Lighting

Post by FleetlinePhil »

We had a couple of nights in Bristol at half-term, and in making our way to one of the city's fine hostelries, I spotted this survivor:https://goo.gl/maps/YiZifq92Y2m Most other lamps on the street were LED, but I did spot one similar SOX on a nearby street.

I generally think of post-top lamps in other situations than residential roads - footpaths, shopping precincts, that sort of thing. Were these widespread on Bristol roads, and (just out of curiosity) what model is it? GEC Z8452 looks close, but there seem to be other possibilities.
A4174_Guy

Re: Bristol Post-top Lighting

Post by A4174_Guy »

Yes, having grown up in Bristol I can categorically state that these were commonplace. Not sure of the model, but I believe Newcastle used them quite extensively too. However, the Thorn Gamma 6 was probably more commonly used in side roads around the Bristol City Council area. You'll still find the odd one here and there.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Thanks for the reply, sorry it has taken me a while to acknowledge it. I was going to have a minor rant about the lack of pedestrian crossing facilities on the A38 in Horfield (slightly further out from central Bristol), but now I've investigated GSV to back up my complaint, it turns out it is "only" 0.2 of a mile between the signalised junctions at Ashley Down Road and Filton Avenue. It looks a lot further when the bus stop you have just alighted at is slap in the middle, your destination is on the other side of the road and you are battling evening rush-hour traffic. The cycle lanes on either side narrow the road so much a pedestrian refuge is now impossible, but is there really nowhere a zebra could have been provided in this local shopping area? Fortunately the inbound traffic was stationary, so we could dodge over, but that is hardly satisfactory. Perhaps I have just got used to living somewhere with numerous pedestrian crossings provided?
A4174_Guy

Post by A4174_Guy »

Actually, a bit of a hoo-ha going on in Bristol with regards to streetlights. Apparently, some of the older standards are being removed, refurbished and reinstated in the more salubrious parts of the city! After a campaign by local residents, some are being returned https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... ol-2787857
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

A4174_Guy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 14:23 Actually, a bit of a hoo-ha going on in Bristol with regards to streetlights. Apparently, some of the older standards are being removed, refurbished and reinstated in the more salubrious parts of the city! After a campaign by local residents, some are being returned https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... ol-2787857
Interesting story, thanks. The one I quoted in my OP was on a relatively modern post, but the one on Brynland Avenue I had seen from a distance turns out to be on an old iron standard like those mentioned in the article.

Somewhat further up the A38 (and a bit of the A51), we noticed this week that Lichfield's LED replacement scheme seemed to have missed this one and a few others further along Anson Avenue. These somehow didn't seem as incongruous as the Bristol ones to me, as they presumably date from the development of the housing estate.