Rare SGE traffic light on eBay

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris584

Rare SGE traffic light on eBay

Post by Chris584 »

Traffic lights 043.jpg
Traffic lights 044.jpg
Traffic lights 045.jpg
This traffic light is up for sale if you have £1,000 going spare. What really caught my eye is the green (blue) lens which is of the sort I have mentioned in previous threads which is what the Americans call a smiley lens. I think the idea was that the Fresnel lens was cut differently in the lower area to make the signal more visible when up close and therefore below it. Similar arrangements can be seen on older railway signal lenses with a quadrant so cut to enable the driver to see the aspect when close to it.
It's a shame that this very rare lens is damaged as I haven't seen one since they removed the SGEs from Manor House in north London back in the very early 70s. I can remember that the light when lit always look bluer that normal green lenses. I'm not quite sure if red and amber lenses where also made like this. This light also has the flame on the top which I only ever saw on SGEs in the west end of London.
Chris584

Re: Rare SGE traffic light on eBay

Post by Chris584 »

Well the item didn't sell and has now dropped to £500. Still out of my range but hopefully someone will buy and restore this signal.
Focus 2

Re: Rare SGE traffic light on eBay

Post by Focus 2 »

Yeah, that would be very nice. I wonder if others have survived? They were still plenty about well into the '80s.

I recall talking to a Plessey engineer who mentioned the green light bulb was actually yellow with the blue lens.

The amber light was always a nice golden colour too.

£500 is well outside my price bracket too. Hope an enthusiat does obtain and restore it.

There's plenty of interest in old streetlighting but traffic lights often get overlooked.