Sharston Spur SPECS

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

PeterA5145

Sharston Spur SPECS

Post by PeterA5145 »

A temporary 50mph limit enforced by SPECS cameras has recently been imposed on the M56 Sharston Spur for barrier replacement works, which are scheduled to last until December 2018. At the entrance at each end, there is a short temporary 50 mph limit on the main lines of the M56 and M60 to encompass the camera, but as there is only one camera in these sections the limit is unenforceable. Having said that, the typical numpty speed along the Spur seems to be about 38 mph at present, so falling foul of the cameras would be difficult :roll:

When I first saw the cameras going up, I wondered whether the plan was to convert the advisory 50 limits on the bends to a permanent one along the whole spur, but fortunately not.

In other news, new yellow box speed cameras have appeared in each direction on the section of the A34 Kingsway between Parrswood and the M60. The limit here is currently 40, but knowing Manchester City Council, who knows what the future holds? :scratchchin:
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
avtur

Re: Sharston Spur SPECS

Post by avtur »

PeterA5145 wrote:
..... In other news, new yellow box speed cameras have appeared in each direction on the section of the A34 Kingsway between Parrswood and the M60. The limit here is currently 40, but knowing Manchester City Council, who knows what the future holds? :scratchchin: ...
I noticed those a couple of weeks ago, I wonder if that means the regular site for the mobile unit (on the south bound side) outside the entrance to Barns hospital will be given up?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I'm not aware of any plans to reduce Kingsway to 30. They only did Princess Road as a knee-jerk to a fatal.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
avtur

Post by avtur »

Bryn666 wrote:I'm not aware of any plans to reduce Kingsway to 30. They only did Princess Road as a knee-jerk to a fatal.
The quality of the road surface at many places along Kingsway is sufficiently bad to slow any driver to 30 for fear of damaging their car on the appalling selection of pot holes.
eastmcr

Post by eastmcr »

PeterA5145 wrote:A temporary 50mph limit enforced by SPECS cameras has recently been imposed on the M56 Sharston Spur for barrier replacement works, which are scheduled to last until December 2018. At the entrance at each end, there is a short temporary 50 mph limit on the main lines of the M56 and M60 to encompass the camera, but as there is only one camera in these sections the limit is unenforceable. Having said that, the typical numpty speed along the Spur seems to be about 38 mph at present, so falling foul of the cameras would be difficult :roll:
The whole setup on the eastbound approach to the roadworks from the M56 is a mess.

There is a temp 50 mph speed limit on the main carriageway, then as you mention covered by SPECS only on the slip to the spur - if you carry on the main carriageway there is a "end of roadworks" sign (which AFAIK also legally ends any temporary speed restriction), then 100 yards further up a yellow sign with black writing with "temporary speed limit still applies" on it.

Another 100 yards or so is a 50mph temp speed limit sign only on one side of the road, before it goes to 50mph "proper" further along.
avtur

Post by avtur »

Last night I was on A560 on the roundabout over the Sharston spur (the easterly one where the swimming baths used to be) and I noticed an odd camera set up on the pavement. The camera is mounted on 3-4m high mast on a road trailer with a substantial array of solar panels. The camera body is black and sherical in shape and probably 200mm in diameter, the camera is facing east, it is pretty much above the centre line of the Sharston Spur and obviously pointing down at the spur, no obvious sign of any cables running to it so presumably on some sort of wireless link. I would assume it is there for traffic monitoring purposes. :confused:
eastmcr

Post by eastmcr »

avtur wrote:Last night I was on A560 on the roundabout over the Sharston spur (the easterly one where the swimming baths used to be) and I noticed an odd camera set up on the pavement. The camera is mounted on 3-4m high mast on a road trailer with a substantial array of solar panels. The camera body is black and sherical in shape and probably 200mm in diameter, the camera is facing east, it is pretty much above the centre line of the Sharston Spur and obviously pointing down at the spur, no obvious sign of any cables running to it so presumably on some sort of wireless link. I would assume it is there for traffic monitoring purposes. :confused:
I'ts to check for broken down vehicles in the roadwords as there's not hard shoulder they do free recovery. They are the full length.
avtur

Post by avtur »

eastmcr wrote:
avtur wrote:Last night I was on A560 on the roundabout over the Sharston spur (the easterly one where the swimming baths used to be) and I noticed an odd camera set up on the pavement. The camera is mounted on 3-4m high mast on a road trailer with a substantial array of solar panels. The camera body is black and sherical in shape and probably 200mm in diameter, the camera is facing east, it is pretty much above the centre line of the Sharston Spur and obviously pointing down at the spur, no obvious sign of any cables running to it so presumably on some sort of wireless link. I would assume it is there for traffic monitoring purposes. :confused:
I'ts to check for broken down vehicles in the roadwords as there's not hard shoulder they do free recovery. They are the full length.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The signposting leaves a lot to be desired but then again most TM is utterly tosh.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

The 50 limit and SPECS have now been removed in the westbound direction, which caught me unawares when I joined from the A34 sliproad and wondered why a following driver seemed unhappy with my doing 50(ish) in the outside lane. Still in operation eastbound.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Now back to NSL eastbound as well, although some of the drivers don't seem to have realised it yet :roll:

The cones have all disappeared from the hard shoulders too, so the scheme has to be regarded as complete.