New speed cameras in Lincolnshire

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

TheKeymeister

New speed cameras in Lincolnshire

Post by TheKeymeister »

It seems a number of damaged/otherwise out of action speed cameras across Lincolnshire are being replaced, the first two I noticed were on the A17 between Sleaford and Newark, at Cranwell and Byards Leap I believe. I had just assumed they were average speed cameras, it'd probably make sense along there.

I've since noticed similar cameras installed at sites with no other cameras anywhere near, A153 at Tattershall/Coningsby in the 30mph limit (the Truvelo camera a bit further along in the 50 limit hasn't been changed). There's another one on Cross O'Cliff Hill in Lincoln too.

Any idea what type of camera these are, and the details of what they can and can't do?
FB_IMG_1523915412239.jpg
L.J.D

Re: New speed cameras in Lincolnshire

Post by L.J.D »

If the truvelo cameras nearby haven't been changed then I can only guess that it's some kind of digital upgrade for the gatso with an auxiliary flash unit required for digital gatso upgrades, the other camera may just be an ANPR camera to carry out further checks on vehicles.
James

Post by James »

The look like average speed cameras to me

Compare with these in Nottingam (which loves the damn things)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.98216 ... 312!8i6656
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

They look like them but they're not average speed, they are effectively the digital replacement for the older fixed one originally installed there. The 2 heads on the top cover both lanes (directions on a single carriageway), whereas the older one could only do 1 way at a time.

https://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/news/sp ... 1-8489629/
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Wow that will be a nasty surprise for anyone who thinks that speeding towards a Gatso on the opposite side of the road means you won't get fined because that side isn't enforced. No wonder they are remaining tight lipped about them been upgraded to monitor both directions.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Yup. The Spalding camera is a waste of time heading out of town as you’re straight into a roundabout, into town however it protects a busy pedestrian desire line as the chip shop & mini mart are the opposite side of the road to the housing estate they serve. There’ll be plenty getting caught heading outwards now.
VikingDan92

Post by VikingDan92 »

Apologies for bringing up an old post but do we know if these cameras flash?
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

They do not.
BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

And not only do they not flash, some of them cover a very long stretch of road from one vantage point. The one in Crowland suprised a lot of people when it came in.
Been everywhere... can't remember any of it

Was fun though :laugh: