Rare Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rambo

Re: Rare Roadsigns

Post by Rambo »

The old faded T junction sign that i posted last year near me has a newer give way sign beyond it. My thoughts are that it has been forgotten about as it is partially hidden when trees are in leaf.

I don't seem to see many of the newer style ones but this one i pass regularly. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3701504 ... 384!8i8192
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Here's another of the newer ones, Rambo https://maps.app.goo.gl/eA1NV7zFXub6BUFv6 although it should be a standard 'side road' sign. It was only put in after the mini roundabout was installed (last year, I think).

There's a correct sign for the junction when approaching from the opposite direction https://maps.app.goo.gl/Tf5XjN1bfeAFXsab9
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Talking of rare signs - According to "Know Your Traffic Signs", the "worded warning sign" can, as well as things like "Ford" and "Gate" that we've all seen, read "No smoking". I've never seen one of these. I can't see why it would ever be installed as a permanent sign. I've seen "no smoking" signs around roadworks for gas main works, but never as a red triangle road sign - usually just the crossed out cigarette in a circle. Has anyone seen one of these?
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Just remembered an unusual sign I saw at Christmas. Completely forgot about it as it was a very long stressful journey.

We were coming down the A19/A168 near Thirsk and there was something about an Aviation Control Zone... :-? :?:
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Big Nick wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 18:48 Just remembered an unusual sign I saw at Christmas. Completely forgot about it as it was a very long stressful journey.

We were coming down the A19/A168 near Thirsk and there was something about an Aviation Control Zone... :-? :?:
Avian flu?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Pilgrim Dan

Post by Pilgrim Dan »

Big L wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 18:59
Big Nick wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 18:48 Just remembered an unusual sign I saw at Christmas. Completely forgot about it as it was a very long stressful journey.

Avian flu?
Avian flu sign shown in first picture of this article
Merge posts in turn
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Pilgrim Dan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 20:27
Big L wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 18:59

Avian flu?
Avian flu sign shown in first picture of this article
That looks very similar. Thanks!
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Not a road sign per se, but a rare sign beside the M74: a direction sign to a Lucy Box. I don't recall seeing a sign like it elsewhere. Do others exist?
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

swissferry wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 20:01 Not a road sign per se, but a rare sign beside the M74: a direction sign to a Lucy Box. I don't recall seeing a sign like it elsewhere. Do others exist?
What is a Lucy Box?
swissferry

Post by swissferry »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 21:36
swissferry wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 20:01 Not a road sign per se, but a rare sign beside the M74: a direction sign to a Lucy Box. I don't recall seeing a sign like it elsewhere. Do others exist?
What is a Lucy Box?
I believe its an electricity box.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

swissferry wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 22:00
What is a Lucy Box?
I believe its an electricity box.
I guess it's this box (next to the fence - and probably connected to the transformer on the pole in the field) - the sign is telling you not to try and climb up the bank, but to go to the end of the cutting and walk back along the top. Presumably access is needed rarely enough that it's not worth constructing steps up to it.

It seems a bit odd to specify "walk 200m" - presumably the person needing access arrived in a vehicle, so it would make more sense to move their vehicle 200m along the road then walk back rather than walking 400m there and back.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

What is a Lucy Box?
The biggest makers of roadside electricity boxes and streetlamps in the early days were the Lucy Foundry in Oxford from around 1905. Today Lucy Group Ltd still produce modern versions of these boxes.
https://www.lucyzodion.com/
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

A sign and plate newly-installed on the road out of Bethel as part of the Caernarfon bypass works. The sign probably isnt too uncommon but there can't be many plates with this wording, certainly not brand-new installations:
20220201_132802.jpg
The glider site is background-right in this photo; I tried to get the windsock but couldn't squeeze it in.

There did not used to be any signs for this but the bypass will run under the approach/overshoot, hence the need for warning. I didn't know of this site before seeing this new sign but I believe it's microlights rather than gliders. I would expect there to be similar signs on the main bypass carriageway as well.

Edit: It's Cae Mawr airfield, operated by the Snowdonia Light Flyers Club. A good aerial photo on their site that shows how close the new bypass will be to their site https://www.snowdonialightflyers.club/where-we-are
Last edited by Kevin Roads on Wed Feb 02, 2022 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
TS

Post by TS »

I can't say I've seen too many No Motorcycles sign.
https://goo.gl/maps/TDG8Yycdm8NEUfhB6

Are there many of these about?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Kevin Roads wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 13:52 A sign and plate newly-installed on the road out of Bethel as part of the Caernarfon bypass works. The sign probably isnt too uncommon but there can't be many plates with this wording, certainly not brand-new installations:

20220201_132802.jpg

The glider site is background-right in this photo; I tried to get the windsock but couldn't squeeze it in.

There did not used to be any signs for this but the bypass will run under the approach/overshoot, hence the need for warning. I didn't know of this site before seeing this new sign but I believe it's microlights rather than gliders. I would expect there to be similar signs on the main bypass carriageway as well.
Love the Welsh respelling and pluralisation of the loanword. 🙂. Kind of reminds me of the service station we passed that advertised "Brêcs, Teiars, Siocs, Egsosts". 😂
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Is "Beware of Waves" a unique qualifying plate? If not it must be rare. Shown here at Porthmellon. Qualifying a Diag. 555 rather than a Diag. 562. Allowing of course that there is another one approaching from the other direction. Follow the road down in this time-frame and it's high tide and you can see the beach material deposited on the road.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Found another No motorcyles sign
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

Kevin Roads wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 13:52 A sign and plate newly-installed on the road out of Bethel as part of the Caernarfon bypass works. The sign probably isn't too uncommon but there can't be many plates with this wording, certainly not brand-new installations:

20220201_132802.jpg
There's another one on the A449 southbound between the Raglan junction and the Usk junction.

https://goo.gl/maps/Nd2FWsgtL6jHVJ9DA
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Octaviadriver wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 14:54
Kevin Roads wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 13:52 A sign and plate newly-installed on the road out of Bethel as part of the Caernarfon bypass works. The sign probably isn't too uncommon but there can't be many plates with this wording, certainly not brand-new installations:

20220201_132802.jpg
There's another one on the A449 southbound between the Raglan junction and the Usk junction.

I love the way that the Welsh word for gliders is the English word re-spelled and pluralised in the Welsh way 😊
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 18:29
Octaviadriver wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 14:54

20220201_132802.jpg

I love the way that the Welsh word for gliders is the English word re-spelled and pluralised in the Welsh way 😊
It seems to be common for loan words, a Pwdding sign amused me & my Dad in a Welsh Sainsbury's once.
Beware of the trickster on the roof