Rare Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

Re: Rare Roadsigns

Post by the cheesecake man »

Glen wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 23:26
the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 20:41What am I supposed to do with this information anyway?
If you weren't transporting any poultry, then nothing, since it isn't relevant to you.
Fortunately I wasn't. But if I had been the sign still didn't tell me what it wanted me to do. I'd like to think if I was involved in such activities regularly I'd know about the AICZ but if I just had a few hens in my garden and was taking them to the vet I might have been alarmed.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

TS wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 18:30 Here is a rare genuine use of the Pass Either Side sign, on a bollard in central Swansea.
There's one from time to time here on the A13 at Canning Town, but it's often (as when the Google car passed) smashed off :

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.516186, ... 384!8i8192
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

OliverH wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 23:17
OliverH wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 23:54 A no right turn bollard: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.96639 ... authuser=0

Also, there is a slightly more common no entry bollard.

and here is a speed hump bollard (this one does not light up but instead is reflective): https://www.google.com/maps/@53.8340504 ... 384!8i8192 . Also, I'm sure I have seen a traffic bollard with a give way sign on it.
Other rare ones that I have seen are one with a bike sign and one with a left-right arrow sign.

Do you know of any others?
Recently I saw one with two signs on one on GSV, but they have since been replaced with a signalised crossing; The bollards had a bike and keep left signs on the bollard.
the cheesecake man

No hard shoulder. Not at all rare on a motorway but this is the A42: I don't think I've seen such a sign on an all-purpose road.

And a few miles away an outside lane HGV prohibition on a two lane motorway.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:54 No hard shoulder. Not at all rare on a motorway but this is the A42: I don't think I've seen such a sign on an all-purpose road.

This was one of the trial areas for that sort of prohibition - there's a long uphill gradient, not severe but enough to cause elephant racing issues before the ban. Good that it was made permanent. The blank area at the top of the sign said "Journey time trial" during the trial period.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 14:59
the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:54 No hard shoulder. Not at all rare on a motorway but this is the A42: I don't think I've seen such a sign on an all-purpose road.

This was one of the trial areas for that sort of prohibition - there's a long uphill gradient, not severe but enough to cause elephant racing issues before the ban. Good that it was made permanent. The blank area at the top of the sign said "Journey time trial" during the trial period.
On the odd occasion I pass that way, I see as much compliance as I see enforcement. Zilch.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

I think it had to say "no hard shoulder for 16 miles", because the text "sorry, we were going to build a motorway but then we didn't" is not permitted on a road sign.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Big L wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 19:09
Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 14:59

On the odd occasion I pass that way, I see as much compliance as I see enforcement. Zilch.
As a fairly regular user (I live near Jct 10), my experience is that the M42 HGV restriction is complied with much better than those on the A14 - I too rarely see police patrols anywhere, but last Sunday was "held up" by a marked car travelling at almost exactly 70 mph on the M42/A42 and then passed by two unmarked small hatchbacks on blues & twos on the M1.
Lifelong motorhead
the cheesecake man

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 19:30 I think it had to say "no hard shoulder for 16 miles", because the text "sorry, we were going to build a motorway but then we didn't" is not permitted on a road sign.
:lol: You could argue the no chopsticks already conveys the message: noone would expect hard shoulders on an all-purpose road so why waste paint announcing their absence?
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 13:05
Chris5156 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 19:30 I think it had to say "no hard shoulder for 16 miles", because the text "sorry, we were going to build a motorway but then we didn't" is not permitted on a road sign.
:lol: You could argue the no chopsticks already conveys the message: noone would expect hard shoulders on an all-purpose road so why waste paint announcing their absence?
So maybe there should be a sign when there *are* hard shoulders on all-purpose roads.
Let it snow.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 13:05 :lol: You could argue the no chopsticks already conveys the message: noone would expect hard shoulders on an all-purpose road so why waste paint announcing their absence?
Such signage would be understandable, seeing as the A42 is a continuation of the M42 mainline, if the hard-shoulder were regained further north up the A42 - but they aren't, there's no HS until you've merged onto the M1.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

This must be somewhat of a rarity. A warning sign for toads/frogs crossing on Princes Avenue, beside Llandrindod Lake, Powys.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Osthagen wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 15:05
the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 13:05 :lol: You could argue the no chopsticks already conveys the message: noone would expect hard shoulders on an all-purpose road so why waste paint announcing their absence?
Such signage would be understandable, seeing as the A42 is a continuation of the M42 mainline, if the hard-shoulder were regained further north up the A42 - but they aren't, there's no HS until you've merged onto the M1.
Except the sign is at the other end of the A42, facing either traffic that has just left the M1 to join an A-road, or traffic that has just left the A453 to join another A-road.

I don’t know whether a matching sign exists at the southern end of the A42 facing traffic that’s just come off the motorway.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 15:48
Osthagen wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 15:05
Except the sign is at the other end of the A42, facing either traffic that has just left the M1 to join an A-road, or traffic that has just left the A453 to join another A-road.

I don’t know whether a matching sign exists at the southern end of the A42 facing traffic that’s just come off the motorway.
There is an equivalent sign at the southern end of the A42. I knew of it in advance and, because I didn't check the link, thought that was what The Cheesecake Man was referring to.
- Richard Nixon
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

Does this mean no diggers on the A1 at the displayed times?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

OliverH wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 20:57 Does this mean no diggers on the A1 at the displayed times?
Yes. It's really a ban on large slow vehicles, and on the Western Bypass they could really mess things up during peak times.

There's a worded sign on part of the Northampton ring road banning vehicles unable to go faster than (I think) 30 mph, probably posted earlier in this thread, and that would seem to be an attempt to achieve something similar, but I don't remember there being a time restriction on it.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

OliverH wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 20:57 Does this mean no diggers on the A1 at the displayed times?
Likely based on the authorised Welsh sign which has working drawings available online here and here.
solocle

Post by solocle »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 21:32
Yes. It's really a ban on large slow vehicles, and on the Western Bypass they could really mess things up during peak times.

There's a worded sign on part of the Northampton ring road banning vehicles unable to go faster than (I think) 30 mph, probably posted earlier in this thread, and that would seem to be an attempt to achieve something similar, but I don't remember there being a time restriction on it.
25 mph. Same as motorways, incidentally. Google Maps
Joke's on them, as I am "able to exceed 25 mph" on my bicycle. Not for very long, but I can do it. There is, of course, no minimum speed limit (not that they apply to cyclists anyway), and therefore no requirement to actually do 25 mph. :twisted:

N.b regarding motorways
Highways Act 1980 wrote: Class I:

Heavy and light locomotives, motor tractors, heavy motor cars, motor cars and motor cycles whereof the cylinder capacity of the engine is not less than 50 cubic centimetres, and trailers drawn thereby, which comply with general regulations as to construction and use made, or having effect as if made, under [F1section 41 of the Road Traffic Act 1988] and in the case of which the following conditions are satisfied:—
(i)that the whole weight of the vehicle is transmitted to the road surface by means of wheels;
(ii)that all wheels of the vehicle are equipped with pneumatic tyres;
(iii)that the vehicle is not controlled by a pedestrian;
(iv)that the vehicle is not a vehicle chargeable with duty under paragraph 2 of Part I of Schedule 3 to the M1Vehicles (Excise) Act 1971; and

in the case of a motor vehicle, that it is so constructed as to be capable of attaining a speed of 25 miles per hour on the level under its own power, when unladen and not drawing a trailer.
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

Anyone have any clue what this sign is? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.16982 ... 6656?hl=en
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

danfw194 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 13:55 Anyone have any clue what this sign is? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.16982 ... 6656?hl=en
It's a 19mph speed limit on a private road. Sometimes speed limits with odd numbers are used in the belief that people pay them more attention because they're unusual. It wouldn't be permitted on a public road.