Empty Gatso's

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Duple

Empty Gatso's

Post by Duple »

Has anyone noticed the (extremely) high number of empty Gatso's lying about?

Cheshire East make theirs really obvious by putting some form of metal box against the top window.

There's one just over the county border in Staffs that has been bent 45 degrees off true angle for over 6 months now, and another in the the area that was torched quite recently and is still black.

Does anyone remember the website with all the dead Gatso's on?!
Burns

Re: Empty Gatso's

Post by Burns »

I don't think single position cameras make much money or help improve speed limit compliance as you can just memorise their location. There's no point in repairing them or replacing them when the money is better spent on average speed zones.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The dead Gatso website is mine. It's still there but I've hidden it from view. You can view it here. Username: xfl713j password: bro500t

Regarding Gatsos in general it wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of the first generation cameras are just lying idle these days and are there simply as a deterrent.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Truvelo wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 21:03 The dead Gatso website is mine. It's still there but I've hidden it from view. You can view it here. Username: xfl713j password: bro500t

Regarding Gatsos in general it wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of the first generation cameras are just lying idle these days and are there simply as a deterrent.
IIRC, West Midlands Police have admitted as much concerning their Gatso housings. These days they have a small number of Talivans, plus some Specs average speed camera installations (though probably still nowhere as many as Nottingham city and Nottinghamshire).
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

This one still has a 'Not in Use' hood over it nearly a year after the GSV camera car passed it.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

DavidB wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 09:07 This one still has a 'Not in Use' hood over it nearly a year after the GSV camera car passed it.
This one has been hooded for about 4 years. At least with a hood on it's clearly not functional.

None of the others around Coventry work either, but they aren't covered up so it's not (so) obvious although the lack of road markings rather gives it away.
Let it snow.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Alderpoint wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 09:03
DavidB wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 09:07 This one still has a 'Not in Use' hood over it nearly a year after the GSV camera car passed it.
This one has been hooded for about 4 years. At least with a hood on it's clearly not functional.

None of the others around Coventry work either, but they aren't covered up so it's not (so) obvious although the lack of road markings rather gives it away.
Cov is part of West Midlands Police's area.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

There was a discussion on Sky News earlier this week about these inflatable fake speed cameras (FAKESOs) which residents concerned about local speeding can use (perhaps illegally) to get drivers to slow down:

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motori ... face-jail/

I suspect they are the emptiest speed cameras you can get!
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Duple

Post by Duple »

Truvelo wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 21:03 The dead Gatso website is mine. It's still there but I've hidden it from view. You can view it here. Username: xfl713j password: bro500t

Always great as a kid (some say still am!) growing up with these horrid then grey boxes appearing everywhere and your website followed their destruction :mrgreen:
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Single point enforcement has been proven to be relatively ineffective except in the immediate vicinity so the move now is towards average speed cameras.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:47 Single point enforcement has been proven to be relatively ineffective except in the immediate vicinity so the move now is towards average speed cameras.
Out of interest - and also as there seem to be a set going up on Newport Road B4487 in Cardiff, which is the former A48 and high-quality, hence general ignorance of the long 30mph limit - do these cameras require "average speed camera" specific signposting or is it just the usual camera sign?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

There are specific Average Speed Check signs on the start of the controlled length.

The A465 around Merthyr has them too.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Phew, good to know. I could be wrong about them being averages, but they're two small units on the top of a two storey or so yellow pole with one at the A48(M) end and one near Llanrumney. They've replaced a single very old GATSO in St Mellons. I hate the B4487 with a passion. It seems to have been an experiment of every possible traffic management system to reduce speeds and increase safety on an S4 downgraded to S2. It's gutting to see the wreckage of a perfectly good S4!