Traffic Light Statistics

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Peter_B5470

Traffic Light Statistics

Post by Peter_B5470 »

Do Traffic Light Systems record statistics of length of red and green phases for each route? Is this data accessible? Could it be used to forecast how many stops you could expect on a journey?

( and to tell me why I get so many reds at 9am on a Sunday on A6 through Stockport, mostly to let out one vehicle!!)
Formerly part of London - Inverness Trunk road
Ruperts Trooper

Re: Traffic Light Statistics

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Somehow modern lights don't seem to react with demand - especially given the relatively cheap technology that's available these days.

My pet hate is approaching the roundabouts on the A5/M42 or A5/A38 at 7am on Sunday morning when no-one else is around and having to wait on red for a full cycle to get onto the roundabout and then wait on red a couple of times to allow non-existent traffic to join the roundabout - they should either be demand-based or peak-time only - preferably the latter to use a roundabout for what it's good at.
Lifelong motorhead
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Having done signal setting (very) long ago, as past posts testify, I just cannot understand how old skills were lost. Goodness, we managed demand activation better in the days of pneumatic strips across the carriageway ! Now there's all the expense of slot cutting for detectors, and the things operate on fixed cycle in incompetently-set proportions.
Duple

Post by Duple »

I have to say (slightly off topic?)..

We had a set of lights near me in Congleton replaced with flow control tech (can't quite remember what it was called but believe it was PEEK based).

It is fantastic when it all does it stuff. Adjusts the flow and the sensors genuinely seem to actually do something unlike others in the town!

It is still a bottle neck unfortunately and I think a bit of re-landscaping would solve a lot of problems.

At the other end of the spectrum is the TOTSO at the Flower Pot junction in Macclesfield which generates huge ques each morning due to too long cycle times. I have noticed that 44 tonners do trigger the sensors better than cars so maybe incorrectly set sensors?