Pedestrian Phase on Bridge with no Footway

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Brigham

Re: Pedestrian Phase on Bridge with no Footway

Post by Brigham »

nowster wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 09:12
Brigham wrote:Special signs for cyclists?
Waste of time and money.
Let's blindfold them too. Can't have them looking at the road that they haven't paid for, can we?
...?
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Brigham wrote:
nowster wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 09:12
Brigham wrote:Special signs for cyclists?
Waste of time and money.
Let's blindfold them too. Can't have them looking at the road that they haven't paid for, can we?
...?
It's about as sensible as the comment above it.
Brigham

Post by Brigham »

It makes no sense at all.
Even when cyclists are looking where they are going, they don't make intelligent use of the information they see.
As for separate signs for cyclists... if you are trying to create resentment, that's a good way to do it.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Brigham wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 09:11 As for separate signs for cyclists... if you are trying to create resentment, that's a good way to do it.
How about signs for pedestrians or car users?
Brigham

Post by Brigham »

How about them?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Brigham wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 09:11 Even when cyclists are looking where they are going, they don't make intelligent use of the information they see.
As for separate signs for cyclists... if you are trying to create resentment, that's a good way to do it.
I don't understand the point you're trying to make. What is wrong with signs for cyclists? We have signs for motorists, signs for pedestrians, signs for horse riders... why not signs for cyclists? Who (other than, plainly, you) feels resentment when they see a sign directed at cyclists?
nickoli

Post by nickoli »

Brigham wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 09:11 Even when cyclists are looking where they are going, they don't make intelligent use of the information they see.
There are several jobs, mine included, that exist soley because motorists do not always follow the signs and make intelligent use of the information they see.

Cycling is different to driving, with different challenges, different risks, different hazards. Unless you've spent a decent amount of time cycling, your ability to judge whether the decisions they make are intelligent or not is limited. And yes, you will see cyclists doing stupid things, but we all see motorists doing stupid things every day.
What's this for?
Brigham

Post by Brigham »

I don't feel resentment at seeing signs for cyclists; although I gave it up in '03 and got a motorbike.
It's cyclists who resent being targeted by signs; they see it as some form of 'discrimination', of the Authorities somehow 'singling them out', or 'encroaching' on their inalienable 'rights'.
I LOVE special signs for cyclists; particularly the big round one with a bicycle in the middle of a red circle.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

My complaint was that the A93 arrangement seems to ask cyclists to stop in the road, with no safe refuge, when confronted with a green light. And that worse, this is presented in small, dense text. Hardly a whinge- it's a genuinely nonsense instruction that compliance with poses a danger to life, badly delivered. I'm pretty damn sure that were you driving along there you'd be upset were a cyclist to actually obey the sign. Even riding your motorbike you'd be effing and blinding at the idiot that stopped on the green light in front of you.
nickoli

Post by nickoli »

Al__S wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 07:54 My complaint was that the A93 arrangement seems to ask cyclists to stop in the road, with no safe refuge, when confronted with a green light. And that worse, this is presented in small, dense text. Hardly a whinge- it's a genuinely nonsense instruction that compliance with poses a danger to life, badly delivered.
Absolutely - it's a bad sign, but that a sign for cyclists exists isn't what is wrong with it - the things you point out are.
What's this for?
Euan

Post by Euan »

Al__S wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 07:54 My complaint was that the A93 arrangement seems to ask cyclists to stop in the road, with no safe refuge, when confronted with a green light. And that worse, this is presented in small, dense text. Hardly a whinge- it's a genuinely nonsense instruction that compliance with poses a danger to life, badly delivered.
The least that could be done would be to move the sign in front of the traffic light, but even then there may not be enough time to read the tiny text carefully and accurately before holding up motor vehicles during a green light. That is of course assuming the cyclist does not have ridiculously good eyesight. The text should at least be large enough to be able to read in advance before coming to a stop, just like regular signs for motor traffic. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd be very comfortable cycling that section of the A93 in the first place with all the twists and turns. Something to bear in mind in future though, if I ever decide to do some cycling in the area.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Back to the original topic, there are these in Newton le Willows, where there are nearside indicators and also a single aspect green man (if I recall correctly) facing through the tunnel.
Simon
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Ok so there are footpaths. But driving under this bridge today made me think of this thread. I've been through lots of traffic light controlled bridges before, but never a 2-lane dual carriageway going one direction at a time under a single 2-lane wide overbridge.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Big L wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 21:16Ok so there are footpaths. But driving under this bridge today made me think of this thread. I've been through lots of traffic light controlled bridges before, but never a 2-lane dual carriageway going one direction at a time under a single 2-lane wide overbridge.
I knew where that was before I even clicked the link! The former A63 in east Leeds.

I remember that, up until the early 1990s when the whole junction was remodelled, the A63 (as was) narrowed to a single lane each way and connected to the A64 York Road at a small roundabout. It never worked well and the railway bridge caused almost as much congestion as the inefficient junction. The current layout operates as a single junction, with traffic signals all timed so that traffic flows through the junction and under the bridge without much waiting and without overwhelming the limited stacking space between the two. It's quite ingenious and a very smart bit of engineering.

The bridge is, of course, a leftover from before the dual carriageway section of Selby Road was built in the 1930s, and was supposed to be replaced with a wider one. The width of the road on either side is the same, it's just been waiting nearly 90 years for the second carriageway to be provided under the bridge. I doubt it ever will be now - it's a B-road and the signalised solution works well.
dave55uk

Post by dave55uk »

I think this one is for the use of the occupant of the house, as the driveway comes out right on the road junction.
I used to drive buses regularly past here but never got to see anyone use it.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.75235 ... 312!8i6656

Apologies for the long link, couldn't find the short link