Sabristi-created road signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Patrick Harper

Re: Sabristi-created road signs

Post by Patrick Harper »

So I figured out I can make compliant signs with pdftocairo (for transcoding the PDF working drawings to SVGs) and QCad. The hard part is making the working drawings (including Transport & Motorway glyths) usable when drafting, since they don't have solid borders and every so often there's a stray line that isn't looped, which impedes hatching. All of the spacing has to be done manually as well.

The content is definitely of the 'if the fantasy world were sensible' nature.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7mxbicja5tjl ... S.pdf?dl=0
doc456tor

Post by doc456tor »

Sign design is very easy when using programs like Inkscape, Adobe InDesign or Affinity Designer. Inuse the latter all the time.

Sent from my SM-N980F using Tapatalk

"Would You Like A Jelly Baby?"
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

doc456tor wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 21:50 Sign design is very easy when using programs like Inkscape, Adobe InDesign or Affinity Designer. Inuse the latter all the time.

I don't think Inkscape is quite as accurate as CAD programs for certain things. For example: getting a route arm to two thirds the length of the width of a destination block. With my program I infodist the width of the tiles in the destination block (or panel), do the math and then insert a horizontal line of my worked figure from a point directly above where the block starts, the arrow can be constructed later. Watching this, you don't seem to be able to snap the arrow to the side of a block you arranged and you've resorted to 'eyeballing' it.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

You can snap it, there's lots of snapping settings that can be enabled. Inkscape may be more long-winded than CAD but it'll produce the same results often.
doc456tor

Post by doc456tor »

Also you can use a calculator to calculate the route arms.

"Would You Like A Jelly Baby?"
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

So the new A1170 roundabout post new bridge has made it onto GSV, and although my 2018 designs weren't perfect, what's actually been installed are generally worse.

:(