Unknown traffic light? Repost

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Tom Williams

Unknown traffic light? Repost

Post by Tom Williams »

Theres an unknown light at a pedestrian crossing in hereford at the cross junction between the A49 and walnut tree avenue in hereford and i would like to know what its for as ive not seen anywhere else at all. :?
Here it is: https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.googl ... NGM4VXcQAg
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: Unknown traffic light? Repost

Post by Big L »

Tom Williams wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 19:46 Theres an unknown light at a pedestrian crossing in hereford at the cross junction between the A49 and walnut tree avenue in hereford and i would like to know what its for as ive not seen anywhere else at all. :?
No, here it is.

I'm getting a tremendous sense of deja vu. Hasn't this been discussed already?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

Big L wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 19:51
Tom Williams wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 19:46 Theres an unknown light at a pedestrian crossing in hereford at the cross junction between the A49 and walnut tree avenue in hereford and i would like to know what its for as ive not seen anywhere else at all. :?
No, here it is.

I'm getting a tremendous sense of deja vu. Hasn't this been discussed already?
Yes it has but was removed because id forgotten how many times I'd posted it
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Tom, please don't post Google Earth links. They work for some mobile phone users, but not for desktop or laptop computer users. Google Maps links, however, work for all.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 21:30
Tom, please don't post Google Earth links. They work for some mobile phone users, but not for desktop or laptop computer users. Google Maps links, however, work for all.
The reason why I use earth is because I don't know how to get the link from maps
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

If you can't work it out, please don't. And certainly don't spam the forums with the same query.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Tom Williams wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 21:37 The reason why I use earth is because I don't know how to get the link from maps
Just go to the feature in Google Maps that you want to illustrate - whether in map view, satellite view or street view - and copy the URL in the address bar.

Because such URLs tend to be several miles long, it's best to use the url function. Type an = after the first url and then paste your URL, then write something suitable as a link text:

Code: Select all

[url=YourLinkHere]Something suitable as a link text[/url]
Like this:

My workplace
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

In Google Maps app:

Touch and hold on a location on the map. Near the bottom left will eventually appear a little box with a StreetView thumbnail. Tap on that. Navigate around by dragging.

You'll see the three connected dots at the top right in the GSV images. Tap those. Of the options, tap "Copy to clipboard".

Ta-da! You now have a short URL in the clipboard you can paste here.
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

nowster wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 15:53 In Google Maps app:

Touch and hold on a location on the map. Near the bottom left will eventually appear a little box with a StreetView thumbnail. Tap on that. Navigate around by dragging.

You'll see the three connected dots at the top right in the GSV images. Tap those. Of the options, tap "Copy to clipboard".

Just tried it and it works! Thanks!
[gmap] A465
https://goo.gl/maps/5CQh52ZcwjN2 [/gmap]= a local roundabout
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Tom Williams wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 20:31
nowster wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 15:53 In Google Maps app:

Just tried it and it works! Thanks!
[gmap] A465
https://goo.gl/maps/5CQh52ZcwjN2 [/gmap]= a local roundabout
Just need realise that [gmap] does nothing on this forum now!
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

It’s not a light it’s just an empty traffic light aspect. I think boing_uk once said that they are used to store extra electricals. They usually just have a black mask over the lense it just looks like it’s probly washed off in the rain and exposed the red lense under it or maybe it was damaged and they just stuck a red lense in to improvise.
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

L.J.D wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 03:37 It’s not a light it’s just an empty traffic light aspect. I think boing_uk once said that they are used to store extra electricals. They usually just have a black mask over the lense it just looks like it’s probly washed off in the rain and exposed the red lense under it or maybe it was damaged and they just stuck a red lense in to improvise.
Sounds like Herefordshire council improvising to do a job
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

L.J.D wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 03:37 It’s not a light it’s just an empty traffic light aspect. I think boing_uk once said that they are used to store extra electricals. They usually just have a black mask over the lense it just looks like it’s probly washed off in the rain and exposed the red lense under it or maybe it was damaged and they just stuck a red lense in to improvise.
Seems unusual that they'd waste an entire aspect just for that reason rather than just put a box on the pavement
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Due to the replacement of the traffic lights at this junction these have now gone.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

Beardy5632 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 21:53 Due to the replacement of the traffic lights at this junction these have now gone.
Went through the lights today, there are some temporary ones up at the mo untill the replacements are put in