Mono-lingual direction signs in Wales

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

crazyknightsfan

Mono-lingual direction signs in Wales

Post by crazyknightsfan »

Are there many mono-lingual direction signs left in Wales? From what I have read it seems like bilingual signs were made compulsory decades ago, so I wonder whether there are any or many older signs that haven't yet been updated?
rhyds

Re: Mono-lingual direction signs in Wales

Post by rhyds »

Where there isn't an English translation of a name (e.g. Machynlleth, Dolgellau, Aberystwyth, Llangurig, Llangurig) there are Welsh-only monolingual signs.

As for English monolingual signs, very few survive. The early Worboys type monolingual signs were generally replaced pretty quickly as there was a defacement protest campaign against them, and most of the ones left are the very old pre-Worboys type with the absolutely horrendous anglicised names of towns on them (Aberayron for Aberaeron or Dolgelley for Dolgellau are two that really annoy).
Built for comfort, not speed.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Gwent was a hold out until its abolition in 1996, I would imagine it has a high level of monolingual signs remaining in its successors.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

rhyds wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 08:29 Where there isn't an English translation of a name (e.g. Machynlleth, Dolgellau, Aberystwyth, Llangurig, Llangurig) there are Welsh-only monolingual signs.

As for English monolingual signs, very few survive. The early Worboys type monolingual signs were generally replaced pretty quickly as there was a defacement protest campaign against them, and most of the ones left are the very old pre-Worboys type with the absolutely horrendous anglicised names of towns on them (Aberayron for Aberaeron or Dolgelley for Dolgellau are two that really annoy).
You forgot Caernarvon, Portmadoc and Tremadoc :) There are also some place names which are English-only, particularly in South Pembrokeshire and in a few places around the border. One that's always puzzled me is Bow Street, just north of Aberystwyth. And Crosskeys in Blaenau Gwent is named after the hotel at the junction (the rugby club, however is Cross Keys). I daresay the committee for inventing Welsh place names is on the case now.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 09:15
rhyds wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 08:29 Where there isn't an English translation of a name (e.g. Machynlleth, Dolgellau, Aberystwyth, Llangurig, Llangurig) there are Welsh-only monolingual signs.

You forgot Caernarvon, Portmadoc and Tremadoc :) There are also some place names which are English-only, particularly in South Pembrokeshire and in a few places around the border. One that's always puzzled me is Bow Street, just north of Aberystwyth. And Crosskeys in Blaenau Gwent is named after the hotel at the junction (the rugby club, however is Cross Keys). I daresay the committee for inventing Welsh place names is on the case now.
Well considering Bow Street was obviously invented then I can't see the problem! If it ever does happen then it's probably going to be named Rhyd y Pennau (which is the name of the local school) as that's the name of the hamlet that's been absorbed by Bow Street's rampant urban sprawl...
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

crazyknightsfan wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 07:54 Are there many mono-lingual direction signs left in Wales? From what I have read it seems like bilingual signs were made compulsory decades ago, so I wonder whether there are any or many older signs that haven't yet been updated?
An old relic from the Mold to Wrexham road
wrexham.jpg
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

RichardA35 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 09:37
crazyknightsfan wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 07:54 Are there many mono-lingual direction signs left in Wales? From what I have read it seems like bilingual signs were made compulsory decades ago, so I wonder whether there are any or many older signs that haven't yet been updated?
An old relic from the Mold to Wrexham roadwrexham.jpg
Mmm, that's just wrong in so many ways :hurl:

But I would agree that in the Wrexham area some relics remain, chiefly of the distance/End plate variety.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

ANiceEnglishman

Post by ANiceEnglishman »

exiled wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 08:43 Gwent was a hold out until its abolition in 1996, I would imagine it has a high level of monolingual signs remaining in its successors.
Two which come to mind besides Crosskeys are Pye Corner in Casnewydd and Varteg in Torfaen. The good people of the latter declined to have the name of their village spelt in Welsh as Farteg.
You can find any answers you want on the Internet. Some of them may even be correct.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 09:15 You forgot Caernarvon, Portmadoc and Tremadoc :)
And Conway.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

There are many places called "Four Crosses" but the translation of the one near Pwllheli (Y Ffôr) is odd. Maybe because there are already plenty of places called "Croesffordd" or similar nearby.
trigpoint

Post by trigpoint »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:09
Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 09:15 You forgot Caernarvon, Portmadoc and Tremadoc :)
And Conway.
And Llanelly, they all look so wrong these days.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

rhyds wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 08:29 the very old pre-Worboys type with the absolutely horrendous anglicised names of towns on them (Aberayron for Aberaeron or Dolgelley for Dolgellau are two that really annoy).
Is it not excessive hyperbole to say "absolutely horrendous" for something that is just one character different ?

Around London there is a very common mis-spelling of the airport at Stansted as Stanstead, including no doubt a proportion of those from Wales travelling from there. But I don't scream "absolutely horrendous" when I see it.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

WHBM wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 14:15
rhyds wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 08:29 the very old pre-Worboys type with the absolutely horrendous anglicised names of towns on them (Aberayron for Aberaeron or Dolgelley for Dolgellau are two that really annoy).
Is it not excessive hyperbole to say "absolutely horrendous" for something that is just one character different ?
I'm sorry, but it is horrendous. It was purposefully miss-spelling place names so that lazy monolingual Anglophones wouldn't need to bother themselves with learning even the basics of another language. Aberdovey is another that really grinds, the proper name is Aberdyfi, the only linguistic contortion a non-Welsh speaker has to do is remember that a single F sounds like a V, but no, even that is a bit difficult.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It's only a letter different yet I find being called Bryan to be extremely horrendous... what's your thoughts on that one, WHAM? :wink:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

rhyds wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 15:15
I'm sorry, but it is horrendous. It was purposefully miss-spelling place names so that lazy monolingual Anglophones wouldn't need to bother themselves with learning even the basics of another language. Aberdovey is another that really grinds, the proper name is Aberdyfi, the only linguistic contortion a non-Welsh speaker has to do is remember that a single F sounds like a V, but no, even that is a bit difficult.
Aberdovey sounds like an Aldi own label soap.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

rhyds wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 15:15
It's an exonym - a name for a place that is different in another language. We have loads of them in English - Munich, Rome, Copenhagen, Lisbon, Prague, Warsaw, Moscow, Vienna - none of these are called that in their native language. Hell, even Welsh has them - Briste, Llundain, Caer, Manceinion, Rhydychen to give just a few. It is possible to be just a *bit* oversensitive about these things, you know? Sure, some of them (mainly those that were effectively just respellings of Welsh names) have been dropped, but there's no rule to say that they all must be.

jimboLL

Post by jimboLL »

Hi I'm new.

Anyway, around the Sketty (Sgeti) area of Swansea (Abertawe) are several monolingual signs such as the below (hope the link works). I'm convinced that until recently there used to be some marked in furlongs on Sketty Lane (Lon Sgeti) but I can't seem to find them on Streetview, so maybe they've gone.

[gmap]https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.61814 ... 312!8i6656[/gmap]

(Y) Mwmbwls
(Y) Gwyr
Abertawe
Caerfyrddin
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 16:05 It's an exonym - a name for a place that is different in another language. We have loads of them in English - Munich, Rome, Copenhagen, Lisbon, Prague, Warsaw, Moscow, Vienna - none of these are called that in their native language. Hell, even Welsh has them - Briste, Llundain, Caer, Manceinion, Rhydychen to give just a few. It is possible to be just a *bit* oversensitive about these things, you know? Sure, some of them (mainly those that were effectively just respellings of Welsh names) have been dropped, but there's no rule to say that they all must be.
Though in the case of Aberdovey, Llanelly, Dolgelly, these are not exonyms - both Swansea and Cardiff are established exonyms, they are modern bad respellings of the local name to fit the orthography of the state language. Sure you can say the same for Cardiff and the English names of some places in Scotland like Inverness, but these Anglicisations were well established for centuries before road signs often the ones in Wales are lazy inventions of the 'get me a sign to point to Dolgelly, yon peasant lad.'
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

exiled wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 16:15
Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 16:05 It's an exonym - a name for a place that is different in another language. We have loads of them in English - Munich, Rome, Copenhagen, Lisbon, Prague, Warsaw, Moscow, Vienna - none of these are called that in their native language. Hell, even Welsh has them - Briste, Llundain, Caer, Manceinion, Rhydychen to give just a few. It is possible to be just a *bit* oversensitive about these things, you know? Sure, some of them (mainly those that were effectively just respellings of Welsh names) have been dropped, but there's no rule to say that they all must be.
Though in the case of Aberdovey, Llanelly, Dolgelly, these are not exonyms - both Swansea and Cardiff are established exonyms, they are modern bad respellings of the local name to fit the orthography of the state language. Sure you can say the same for Cardiff and the English names of some places in Scotland like Inverness, but these Anglicisations were well established for centuries before road signs often the ones in Wales are lazy inventions of the 'get me a sign to point to Dolgelly, yon peasant lad.'
Exonyms vary from mere respellings to drastically different names. I must admit I hear no difference to the way people say Kolkata from the way they said Calcutta. OTOH, we spell Buenos Aires the same way as the Argentinians, but say it a very different way, and the same is true of Paris when compared with French pronunciation. The English spelling of Aberdovey achieves the aim of getting people familiar with English (and not *just* the English themselves) to pronounce it the right way, while retaining the Welsh structure of the name. How to pronounce Welsh is not widely understood outside Wales (I am a bit of an exception there), and there is a minuscule chance of anyone from outside the UK knowing the rules. Cutting them a bit of slack seems not unreasonable in those terms.

Oh, and Swansea is not a "bad respelling" of a local Welsh name, it's the modern version of "Sweyn's ey", or Sweyn's Island, a Saxon name. The Welsh name is Abertawe, referring to the city's position at the mouth of a river. Both names exist happily side by side.

exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

I disagree. Kolkata is largely a respelling of the transliteration of the name Culcutta came from, same with the Romanisation of Beijing changing from Peking. Most exonyms are historic, not simple respelling which is what these are. Most exonyms in English are borrowings from French rather than anglicisms themselves, notable there are almost no places we spell in France with a different way to French, to Provencal, Breton, Gascon yes, but not French. We leave French spellings as they are and mangle the pronunciation like it is going out of fashion. The example of Aberdovey or Llanelly was designed to remove Welsh.

It would be closer to the signs going up directing to 'Portsmouse' 'Monshestre' in England to render the names French, whereas a name like Londres, Chateauneuf are either established exonyms or translations, these would be like Dolgelly, attempts to change the name.

As for the example of Swansea, that was an example of an established exonym of a completely different way of developing the name, same with Aachen getting Aix la Chapelle in French. Cardiff is an established 'bad spelling' exonym.