Lantern identification

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

liamf656

Lantern identification

Post by liamf656 »

Hi all, this is my first post in here after some time reading the forums

I was trawling through street view trying to find anything interesting in Nottingham (as I did when I found some Alpha 3s still on Mercury until early 2015!), but also in the same area was this lantern, looking like a WRTL Vectra. Can anyone identify it for me please? I have the link below. It was removed along with the Alpha 3s as part of the City Council's PFI (or Iridium infestation if you will).

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9518617 ... bfov%3D100
Brigham

Re: Lantern identification

Post by Brigham »

There's quite a bit of gas still, in Nottingham, if you know where to look.
liamf656

Post by liamf656 »

Update: It appears I've mistakenly linked the wrong location in my original post. The following should direct to the lantern I am trying to identify.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9705959 ... 312!8i6656
BugsBunny

Post by BugsBunny »

That would be an Urbis Z1. You can see the big sister version the Urbis Z3 on a short section of the M25 between J11 and J12 (flat glass version). I think there used to be more before the widening in 2004-5. *edit/ also on the start of the M6, those are bowled versions* I believe this lantern was always a rare one in the U.K., much more popular in other EU countries. I think there are/were some scattered on the A666 also.
I was 12 when I made this account in 2013, therefor I am not liable for any strange or awkward comments made then :)
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

BugsBunny wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 04:07 That would be an Urbis Z1. You can see the big sister version the Urbis Z3 on a short section of the M25 between J11 and J12 (flat glass version). I think there used to be more before the widening in 2004-5. *edit/ also on the start of the M6, those are bowled versions* I believe this lantern was always a rare one in the U.K., much more popular in other EU countries. I think there are/were some scattered on the A666 also.
Urbis Z3's were also used on the M74 between Junctions 4 and 6. They were installed in the late 1980's on columns with short brackets mounted in the central reservation. The Z3's were replaced by grey canopied Urbis ZX3's but the columns have now all disappeared.