What is this for??

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Tom Williams

What is this for??

Post by Tom Williams »

on the A5 Oswestry bypass at the disused level crossing there is an aspect but I don't know what it's for as got an alarm on it but it's facing away from traffic, if anyone can help me that would be great, I have provided a screenshot below and have also provided a Google maps link.
Google maps: A5 https://goo.gl/maps/YHikDAgcU7H2
Attachments
Screenshot_20181203-121158-1024x640~2-200x167.png
Screenshot_20181203-121158-1024x640~2-200x167.png (70.84 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
Glen
Social Media Admin

Re: What is this for??

Post by Glen »

Probably a flashing red man pedestrian signal.
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

Glen wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 13:01 Probably a flashing red man pedestrian signal.
that would be unusual because it's on a main a road where barely anyone walked over the level crossing ok it may be useful if someone has broken down but still why would it be facing away from traffic and its never even been used anyway because that crossing hasn't been used at all
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

A red light?
If you are walking along that road facing oncoming traffic (as you should do according to the highway code) it's possible you may not notice if the gate at the *far* side of the track is down, but a bright red light in your face might at least suggest you should stop. Of course if you are walking on the other side of the road, you'll come across the closed gate.
Let it snow.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Tom Williams wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 13:06 that would be unusual because it's on a main a road where barely anyone walked over the level crossing ok it may be useful if someone has broken down but still why would it be facing away from traffic and its never even been used anyway because that crossing hasn't been used at all
They are usually used where there is high pedestrian usage in addition to the wig-wag traffic signals. In this case it's because the offside wig-wag is on the centre island, so in the absence of anything else there needs to be a signal to make it mandatory for a pedestrian on that side of the road to stop, irrespective of how infrequently that might be.
Vikaelnorm

Post by Vikaelnorm »

I live very near to this disused level crossing and for a pedestrian it's a pretty dangerous bit of road. There are much more pleasant ways of walking to Gobowen or the hospital from Oswestry than to use the A5.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

As Glen says, the pedestrian signal is present because the wigwags are on the central island. The pedestrian signal isn't required if the wigwags are on the opposite side of the road.

It's all regardless of whether pedestrians would ever realistically be walking along there. If there is any lawful reason for a pedestrian to be there, there needs to be a signal addressed to them - either the wigwag, or the flashing red man signal. The figure is different from the conventional red man.

I imagine the same would hypothetically apply on a Special Road (non-motorway) because there are lawful exceptions for pedestrians, such as emergencies, although the chances that a special road would cross a railway on the level are in the region of nil.

Jordanstown AHB had a flashing red man fitted due to the number of pedestrians ignoring the offside wigwags. As a result it was eventually converted to MCB.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I would be confident in saying that it has probably never seen use except for testing when it was first installed. I've never seen a train use that crossing.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
hmallett

Post by hmallett »

Truvelo wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 00:39 I would be confident in saying that it has probably never seen use except for testing when it was first installed. I've never seen a train use that crossing.
The Oswestry bypass was opened in 1986. Rail traffic from Nantmawr quarry ran until 1989. So I'd guess that it has been used since installation, but not for 29 years.
LeedsKing

Post by LeedsKing »

Then isn't it time that the few rails that intersect the road were removed and the gaps filled?
-------------------------------------------------
Where we're going, we DO need roads

Ford Focus Ghia
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

LeedsKing wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 14:49 Then isn't it time that the few rails that intersect the road were removed and the gaps filled?
The railway is for the present time "disused". It has not been formally abandoned, so I think the tracks will remain for now. Should it be brought back into use, the crossing equipment will be renewed.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
trigpoint

Post by trigpoint »

LeedsKing wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 14:49 Then isn't it time that the few rails that intersect the road were removed and the gaps filled?
Plans to extend the Cambrian Heritage line to connect to National Rail at Gobowen?

There is an unused platform waiting.