No Stopping for 27miles

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jimboLL

No Stopping for 27miles

Post by jimboLL »

On the A6 "Crescent" in Salford is a sign that advises no stopping, with a supplementary board reading "27 miles".

That section of the A6 becomes the A580 (the "East Lancs Road", which only goes to West Lancs, but I suppose that's a different topic), so it kind-of makes sense, but the long distance does seem rather incongruous in such an urban location.

Motorways and the like aside, are there any posted interdictions longer than 27 miles in the UK?
Mark Hewitt

Re: No Stopping for 27miles

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

jimboLL wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 15:09... the A580 (the "East Lancs Road", which only goes to West Lancs, but I suppose that's a different topic) ...
If you start from the other end, it takes you to East Lancs.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 15:23
jimboLL wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 15:09... the A580 (the "East Lancs Road", which only goes to West Lancs, but I suppose that's a different topic) ...
Who on earth would want to go there? :twisted:
jimboLL

Post by jimboLL »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 15:23
Not really. It takes you to Swinton. There's plenty of Lancashire between there and God's own count(r)y.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

jimboLL wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 15:09Motorways and the like aside, are there any posted interdictions longer than 27 miles in the UK?
I'll raise you a 32 miles at Bere Regis facing east on the A31
bere.jpg
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

jimboLL wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 15:09 On the A6 "Crescent" in Salford is a sign that advises no stopping, with a supplementary board reading "27 miles".
To be precise, it is not no stopping, but a Clearway sign, which is no stopping on the main carriageway. There may be plenty of lay-bys and other marked stopping areas etc on a Clearway. It is also a legal definition of Stopping which is a little different to casual usage, and is really no parking of your own volition even for a moment - it doesn't include red traffic signals, traffic stopped in front, breakdowns, etc.
jimboLL

Post by jimboLL »

WHBM wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 16:22
jimboLL wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 15:09 On the A6 "Crescent" in Salford is a sign that advises no stopping, with a supplementary board reading "27 miles".
To be precise, it is not no stopping, but a Clearway sign, which is no stopping on the main carriageway. There may be plenty of lay-bys and other marked stopping areas etc on a Clearway. It is also a legal definition of Stopping which is a little different to casual usage, and is really no parking of your own volition even for a moment - it doesn't include red traffic signals, traffic stopped in front, breakdowns, etc.
Which reminds me of this story, which I know was on private land, but they seem to impose a rather literal definition of stopping.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/m ... ng-6561345

And of the area of private roads around Spinningfields in Manchester
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.48025 ... 384!8i8192
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

These signs at the top end of the Doncaster bypass used to show "68 miles", but have been changed in the last few years following the A1(M) upgrades further north: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.576504, ... 312!8i6656

Used to make me laugh as more often than not you'll come to a crashing stop at the hill before Barnsdale Bar!
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

Euan

Post by Euan »

jimboLL wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 15:09 Motorways and the like aside, are there any posted interdictions longer than 27 miles in the UK?
The A9 on the Cromarty Bridge has a 124 miles no-stopping sign:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.62754 ... 312!8i6656

The sign at the Inveralmond Roundabout outside Perth found by Mark Hewitt upthread is at the opposite end of the 124-mile stretch to this sign. For some reason I have only ever noticed the sign at the north end of the stretch during my journeys on the A9 and have never noticed the one at the southern end. Both signs must surely be incorrect - either way you have to stop at the Longman and Tore roundabouts during the 124 miles and so the non-stop road really only runs between the Inveralmond and Longman roundabouts, a distance of 112 miles.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Euan wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 18:11
jimboLL wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 15:09 Motorways and the like aside, are there any posted interdictions longer than 27 miles in the UK?
The A9 on the Cromarty Bridge has a 124 miles no-stopping sign:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.62754 ... 312!8i6656

The sign at the Inveralmond Roundabout outside Perth found by Mark Hewitt upthread is at the opposite end of the 124-mile stretch to this sign. For some reason I have only ever noticed the sign at the north end of the stretch during my journeys on the A9 and have never noticed the one at the southern end. Both signs must surely be incorrect - either way you have to stop at the Longman and Tore roundabouts during the 124 miles and so the non-stop road really only runs between the Inveralmond and Longman roundabouts, a distance of 112 miles.
Clearways can have roundabouts, or other junctions along their length without diluting the ban on stopping.
Lifelong motorhead
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

jimboLL wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 15:09(the "East Lancs Road", which only goes to West Lancs, but I suppose that's a different topic)
The reason why it is called the East Lancashire Road (or officially Liverpool - East Lancashire Road) is because it is technically only half built. It was planned to go towards East Lancashire, well more like Oldham / Rochdale as what is normally these days referred to as East Lancashire is a bit too far north! From there, it would have gone on into Yorkshire... but that never happened as the M62 was built instead.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck

From the SABRE Wiki: Clearway :
clearway (also known as a No Stopping Order) is a special type of Traffic Regulation Order placed on numerous lengths of road in Great Britain and Northern Ireland to prohibit stopping, loading, parking, and waiting. Their use is granted by the powers given in Section 9 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

Stopping is defined as the act of halting a motor vehicle for any purpose in any situation other than prevailing traffic conditions (e.g. congestion), a genuine

... Read More
Euan

Post by Euan »

Well, the wiki confirms that the A9 between Perth and the Cromarty Firth is the longest clearway at 124 miles. Incidentally it matches up with the entire length of the road where laybys are numbered (south-north) from 1 to 202.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths