A161 LED Catseyes

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

mark3evo

A161 LED Catseyes

Post by mark3evo »

Summer 2018 North Lincs council resurfaced the 5 miles of A161 from Crowle to East Riding boundary as quite a few accidents over the years

Everyone comments they are like landing lights, pitch black and flick your lights off for 1 second
still lit - never seen these before
can i ask the experts are they mini solar panel activated ?

they really are excellent :)

( was not sure if this should belong in street furniture section)
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: A161 LED Catseyes

Post by c2R »

There's a few at different parts of the road network.... some on HE roads like the A12, and others on different LA roads. I think the first time I saw them was near barton le clay. The problem is that they only seem to last a couple of years before they break, and then its years before they're replaced.....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

mark3evo wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 20:07 Summer 2018 North Lincs council resurfaced the 5 miles of A161 from Crowle to East Riding boundary as quite a few accidents over the years

Everyone comments they are like landing lights, pitch black and flick your lights off for 1 second
still lit - never seen these before
can i ask the experts are they mini solar panel activated ?

they really are excellent :)

( was not sure if this should belong in street furniture section)
There are a small number of solar powered LED studs on the UK market. Until the 2016 TSRGD, they all had to have a reflective element to them. Now they don't. If the ones installed don't have such an element, when (not if) the stud fails they might as well not be there.

Short winter days are not good for solar powered batteries trying to recharge themselves. The studs are also very expensive, 3 to 4 times the cost of a normal cats eye. I'm not sure if they have a life of more than a very few years as well, making them not especially cost effective.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

M6 from J17-18 had them before they ripped up the road for the smart motorway and they were very impressive. Sadly they weren't in for long and doubt the smart motorway contract will see them reinstalled (they seem to favour the rubbish glass reflectors on these schemes).

A500 also had some Southbound from the A34 Hanford interchange to the roundabout at J15 but now most have failed and where there was patch resurfacing they got replaced with bog standard ones. These were installed as a response to the death of some people when the old layby was there.
mark3evo

Post by mark3evo »

I’ll monitor them

The actually look flush, I’ll take a picture at the weekend
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Highways England also installed these on the A64 eastbound from Tadcaster to Bilbrough top back in 2016 as it’s quite a bendy dual carriageway, even on short winter days I have never seen them not working, they are pretty impressive and as you say flush with the road surface.

As for the A161 I saw something on the news saying how much improved it was over the last few years safety wise, I know it’s a pretty quiet road thought.
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

The problem with these is whenever I come across lit road studs I can never resist flicking my lights off or, if there’s no one else around, leaving them off as long as I dare. I’ve seen plenty of other people do it too.
Euan

Post by Euan »

There must be a particularly poor safety record on the A161 between Crowie and the local authority boundary given how many extremely tight bends there are along the road. In the dark it would be far more difficult for drivers to see the bends approaching without the LED studs. The rest of the road lacks any incredibly tight bends outwith towns and villages so will have fewer accidents.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
mark3evo

Post by mark3evo »

no other road users i did flick my headlights to dim for a few seconds - impressive
went to work early , they were still bright

nearly all the accidents were due to black ice, in most cases cars end up in the fields no street infrastructure to hit
except for the recently introduced 50 mph repeaters
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

One of the first trials - well over 10 years ago I think - was on the A4091 south of Tamworth. Quite a joy to behold on first encountering them although their frequency flicker back then was a little unsettling.

Don't think they're still in place or functioning unless anyone can tell me any different.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
mark3evo

Post by mark3evo »

The Brand is Astucia

only need 3 hours charge to last 200 hours, there was a thread on here back in 2015
IMG_2980 (1).jpg
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Wow! The installers managed to leave both the solar panel and the LEDs clear of bitumen. It's a miracle!
mark3evo

Post by mark3evo »

already 1 plastic stake broken
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

mark3evo wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 19:39 already 1 plastic stake broken
That's nothing. Come back to me when you get this high standard of workmanship... :shock:
Attachments
LED road stud.jpg
LED road stud.jpg (81.36 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
Euan

Post by Euan »

Debaser wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:46
mark3evo wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 19:39 already 1 plastic stake broken
That's nothing. Come back to me when you get this high standard of workmanship... :shock:
It still looks like around 75% of the LED's light would pass through, which would not be that much duller than usual with around 90% of the solar panel's surface unobstructed. I suppose it could have been worse if more of the solar panel became covered up making the LED light dimmer, but you would certainly have to be trying to make a mess to obstruct anything within the studs at all.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths