Unknown thing with solar panel on the top?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Tom Williams

Unknown thing with solar panel on the top?

Post by Tom Williams »

this is on the "new" bridge in Hereford and I would like to know what it is for as I've often wondered
Thing in question
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0512105 ... _3Nzvw!2e0 Check out A49 Shared via the #StreetView app
Chris Bertram

Re: Unknown thing with solar panel on the top?

Post by Chris Bertram »

Tom Williams wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:38 this is on the "new" bridge in Hereford and I would like to know what it is for as I've often wondered
Thing in question
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0512105 ... _3Nzvw!2e0 Check out A49 Shared via the #StreetView app
It appears to be adjacent to some inductive loops in the road. Anything to do with them?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

Possibly some form of traffic detection because there are lights on both side of this road on this bridge
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

I'd definitely go for the panel providing power for the location cabinet, which, yes, does look as though it's associated with the adjacent loops. Permanent traffic counter by the look of it.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

AndyB wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:06 I'd definitely go for the panel providing power for the location cabinet, which, yes, does look as though it's associated with the adjacent loops. Permanent traffic counter by the look of it.
A delve into Sabre Maps will confirm a traffic count site on the bridge.