Poorly sited nearside indicators

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

traffic-light-man

Poorly sited nearside indicators

Post by traffic-light-man »

I was going to add this to the blunder page, given that it's arguably a blunder, but for the given the growing scale of this 'blunder', I'm starting a new thread. If the SMT wish, please do merge the threads.

Liverpool has been on a large roads improvements project over the last few years. As time goes by and more junction upgrades are completed, I've noticed a few things which are somewhat of an improvement in my mind. These include the discontinued use of double nearside indicators wherever there is a nearside crossing installed (still quite prevalent but not as much as it once was, better overall placement of signals and most of all, reduced clutter.

However, and it's a rathe large however, tell me if you spot the problem with these crossings? And these? and these, to name a few. It seems to be becoming more popular.

I initially thought it was contractor/designer error, but the more sites I note, the more I've noticed it seems to be a way to damage-limit the effects of see-through from crossings on a ninety degree to the crossings in question. I suppose my main issue is that I'm struggling to find that 'LOOK RIGHT ->' being painted on the floor (which is a fairly recent addition) is suitable risk minimisation given the circumstances. If people are looking at the signals, they're automatically looking left, then some paint tells you to do the opposite, so now which way do you look?

Is this situation arising across the country, or is it specific to whomever does the signal designs for Liverpool City Council (I think Amey, though I'm open to correction!) these days?
Simon
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Re: Poorly sited nearside indicators

Post by AndyB »

I just clicked on the first one as I’m on my iPhone, but, no, that looks badly wrong to me. Principle is supposed to be that the nearside indicators should make people look at what traffic is approaching on their side of the road, so on a two way street the pedestrian signal will always to be your left and on a one way street both indicators will be facing against traffic.
scynthius726

Post by scynthius726 »

:bang:

That should be reported to your local authority. There is no excuse for that. If see through is the issue, then narrow-field-of-view indicators should be used.
Member of the out-of-touch, liberal, metropolitan, establishment elite. Apparently.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

This one is a particular favourite and its brother over the way - I'm not sure why it didn't spring to mind initially! As you can see, not only have the indicators have been placed on the incorrect side, the button has been removed from that side entirely, so it's on the opposite side to the indicators.
scynthius726 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:20 :bang:

That should be reported to your local authority. There is no excuse for that. If see through is the issue, then narrow-field-of-view indicators should be used.
I was wondering whether or not narrow field indicators had been discontinued of late given the sudden uprising in these designs. Being out of the road-tech loop for quite some time, I thought I just might have missed something.

I have considered reporting it to the LA, but when I noticed the 'LOOK RIGHT ->' and '<- LOOK LEFT' markings appear, I realised that they're already aware of the error but are clearly in no mind to remedy it correctly. I suppose in the first instance, I could write a concerned email to the LA just to invite a response.
Simon