What are these for??

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Tom Williams

What are these for??

Post by Tom Williams »

I was visiting my grandad today, and I walked past the entrance to a car park, in the entrance of the car park,(through an arch in the building) there are two normal red and green lightships for stop and go, but there is also this wierd yellow thing above them with a red part, if anyone knows what they are please tell me as I have been interested in them since I was a child.

Street view:
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0518968 ... 95XMFQ!2e0 Check out 6 St Martin's St Shared via the #StreetView app
Screenshot:
Attachments
Screenshot_20190119-211035-640x400.png
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: What are these for??

Post by Big L »

Assuming it is private parking for the business to either side of the entrance, maybe you could ask the people there?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

Big L wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 21:23 Assuming it is private parking for the business to either side of the entrance, maybe you could ask the people there?
The business that is there hasn't always been there and probably wouldn't know what they are, also, the barriers have been removed and haven't been replaced
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

Are they some sort of warning if a vehicle is too wide to fit through the entrance, as it certainly narrows at the front if you're coming from the back of the building? Did the red part light up at night as a warning perhaps?
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

Octaviadriver wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 21:55 Are they some sort of warning if a vehicle is too wide to fit through the entrance, as it certainly narrows at the front if you're coming from the back of the building? Did the red part light up at night as a warning perhaps?
I've never seen them light up in all the 18 years of my life, they may have in the past, I don't know :?:
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Octaviadriver wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 21:55 Are they some sort of warning if a vehicle is too wide to fit through the entrance, as it certainly narrows at the front if you're coming from the back of the building? Did the red part light up at night as a warning perhaps?
I was going to suggest height rather than width, if the red ovals had "TOO HIGH" marked on them or something.
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

Looking on the Google Earth imagary shows a building there in 2001, replaced by the car park ( with barriers ) by the time of the 2006 image.

As it appears to have been a barrier controlled car park not visible from the road, I wonder if they were set to light up when the car park was full so that people did not have to reverse out of the opening?
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

Pendlemac wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 23:45 Looking on the Google Earth imagary shows a building there in 2001, replaced by the car park ( with barriers ) by the time of the 2006 image.

As it appears to have been a barrier controlled car park not visible from the road, I wonder if they were set to light up when the car park was full so that people did not have to reverse out of the opening?
Sounds like a logical explanation
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

Pendlemac wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 23:45 Looking on the Google Earth imagary shows a building there in 2001, replaced by the car park ( with barriers ) by the time of the 2006 image.

Where do I get the older imagery?
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

Tom Williams wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 16:05

Where do I get the older imagery?
As usual Google make it difficult as you can only see old StreetView images when in Maps and can only see old overhead shots when in Earth! :bang:

There is a new Google Earth browser plug-in for Chrome but I've not used that so don't know what ( if any ) older images are available.

Google Maps - Bring up StreetView. If you can get access to older images there is an icon that looks like a clockface surrounded by anti-clockwise pointing arrows. Click on this to bring up the date picker.

Google Earth - Click on the clockface with an anti-clockwise green arrow to bring up the date slider.

ps Prepare to lose hours just looking at how places you know have changed. :D
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

Will this method work with an android tablet?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Tom Williams wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 17:44 Will this method work with an android tablet?
You could try it and see?
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:15
Tom Williams wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 17:44 Will this method work with an android tablet?
You could try it and see?
ive tried on an android tablet, and as far as i can see no, however it is aailable on a computer running windows 10