Yield sign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris584

Yield sign

Post by Chris584 »

Here is a scene from the film "I'm alright Jack". Apparently it was on the Slough Industrial Estate. Never seen one before. There was a lamp just above the sign to illuminate it, then a cap to top the post off.
Attachments
IMG_20190303_190846_707.jpg
KeithW

Re: Yield sign

Post by KeithW »

You may want to look at this thread where the matter was discussed.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31360

The conclusion was that it was part of the Slough Experiment:
http://www.sloughhistoryonline.org.uk/i ... Ficz4o5w_3
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

It's a shame we didn't keep YIELD. I've always preferred it because it's just one word and would make a nice compliment to STOP. And like STOP, it could've become a standard in other European countries; lots of fun to be had with how it would be pronounced in the different languages.

It also allows more space for the red border. I find the Yield/Give Way signs with more red in them more aesthetically pleasing; such as the North American one and the French one. The Romanian one is pretty fun too.
Berk

Post by Berk »

That’s pretty much the template for what they have in Ireland. It’s also very similar in shape to the old-style Give Way and Wrong Way signs from NZ (black background with white text and a red outline triangle).

I find the pre-Worboys pictograms are also a lot more similar to the “international” ones you see in Ireland and New Zealand etc.
Lounge Lizard

Post by Lounge Lizard »

I remember seeing YIELD signs in the early 1960s, some time between my father buying a second hand Austin Somerset in 1961 and the introduction of 'continental' GIVE WAY signs from about 1964, when visiting family friends living in Epsom.
I've read here that "the first use in Britain of 'Yield' signs, which eventually became 'Give Way' signs" was part of the Slough Experiment from 1955 but, Epsom being twenty-something miles away, does anyone know over how wide an area the YIELD signs were used and how many of them might have been erected ?
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

It's just a variation on the wording of the pre-Worboys equivalent "SLOW Major Road Ahead", in similar style, first word emphasised in size, same pictogram, same font, etc.
Lounge Lizard

Post by Lounge Lizard »

But a different shape and all four words changed is a considerable "variation" from the "SLOW MAJOR ROAD AHEAD" signs that were very familiar at the time.
Does anyone know over how wide an area the YIELD signs were used and how many of them might have been erected ?