What would you do with this traffic light?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Duncan macknight
Committee Member

What would you do with this traffic light?

Post by Duncan macknight »

For the Third time this year, this traffic signal on the A82 in Inverness has been thumped.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@57.4 ... .96p,3.28z

The signal sits in the inside of the 90* bend the A82 makes from Loch Ness to Friars Bridge. Whenever it goes down, Highland Council (or Bear Scotland) put some nice 4 way temp signals to help things while it’s hastly repaired. Large amounts of HGVs use this junction and generally follow the A82.

Any ideas??
Last edited by Duncan macknight on Sun Mar 17, 2019 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas

Re: What would you do with this traffic light?

Post by Nicholas »

Move it back against the wall.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Bad luck then to any pedestrians standing at the pedestrian light who would get squashed against the wall.

Put a few of these in on the approach at the kerb edge. You can get bigger ones.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4948167 ... 312!8i6656
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

It's the signal on the island which has been damaged.

The previous time it was knocked down, but this time it has been bent towards the inside of the corner and one of the heads facing traffic from Young Street had been pushed round 180°.

I'm guessing it was hit by an HGV turning right, which is utterly stupid as there is no need to cut in anywhere near the island when turning.

Signal.JPG
boliston

Post by boliston »

it seems odd that it does not have a proper central refuge - by refuge i mean bits of curbing that deflect traffic away - here is an example showing a refuge near where i live https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0189871 ... 312!8i6656
rachandsarai

Post by rachandsarai »

I've seen a traffic light well 2 in Thurso knocked down by possibly vehicles.
Rachel Harper, A Scottish Vehicle Spotter and Road enthusiast in Scotland.
boliston

Post by boliston »

this is a crossing i use every day which got taken out by a coach (i think) - (my photo) https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk ... ic-lights/
i remember having to reach inside the barrier to press the button as the road is too busy normally to just dash across
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

boliston wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 20:16 it seems odd that it does not have a proper central refuge - by refuge i mean bits of curbing that deflect traffic away - here is an example showing a refuge near where i live https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0189871 ... 312!8i6656
Normal half-battered kerbs should be sufficient construction of a "proper" traffic island in the vast majority of circumstances.

But high containment kerbs could be an option where they are regularly being over-run causing damage to traffic signals or other furniture.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Why is there any need whatsoever for an island to be placed in the carriageway?? I’m guessing it’s simply because there is no other place to have a light array.

But then again, there are plenty of sets at the junction, including right outside the citadel there. Can drivers really be so short-sighted they NEED a set in that part of the carriageway??

If they are, they shouldn’t really be driving.
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

WHBM wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 14:43 Bad luck then to any pedestrians standing at the pedestrian light who would get squashed against the wall.

Put a few of these in on the approach at the kerb edge. You can get bigger ones.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4948167 ... 312!8i6656
Looks like a great trip hazard for the partially sighted. Straight over into the road.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Berk wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 00:57 Why is there any need whatsoever for an island to be placed in the carriageway?? I’m guessing it’s simply because there is no other place to have a light array.
I think one aspect is probably because the incoming arm has the left turn and straight ahead flows phased separately and there's a general preference in such scenarios to have an island to separate the two flows; presumably to aid pedestrians (although not applicable here) and to reduce the risk of motorists misreading the signals (which is why we need red & amber arrows but the DfT is just too stubborn to countenance it).

It'd probably be better, here, to move the traffic island back and have it on the centre line, rather than between the incoming flows. If there's no space for that, then simply have a mast arm instead. We seem allergic to mast arms in this country. I think it's one of those things that are considered American and anything American is always a no-no.
LeedsKing

Post by LeedsKing »

Otherwise unmarked islands with grey poles that support signals etc should have reflectors on the lower parts of the pole
-------------------------------------------------
Where we're going, we DO need roads

Ford Focus Ghia
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Gareth wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 19:21
Berk wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 00:57 Why is there any need whatsoever for an island to be placed in the carriageway?? I’m guessing it’s simply because there is no other place to have a light array.
I think one aspect is probably because the incoming arm has the left turn and straight ahead flows phased separately and there's a general preference in such scenarios to have an island to separate the two flows; presumably to aid pedestrians (although not applicable here) and to reduce the risk of motorists misreading the signals (which is why we need red & amber arrows but the DfT is just too stubborn to countenance it).

It'd probably be better, here, to move the traffic island back and have it on the centre line, rather than between the incoming flows. If there's no space for that, then simply have a mast arm instead. We seem allergic to mast arms in this country. I think it's one of those things that are considered American and anything American is always a no-no.
Funnily enough just under a mile away there is a mast arm over a signal junction that has much lower flows.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@57.4 ... .71p,1.56z
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Driving past, I’d noticed it’s been hit again 😫 However it’s only bent over and not Anihilated this time. Thinking about writing to Transport Scotland to get an American Gantry put in!
Britain

Post by Britain »

Is the issue only with lorries hitting it with their trailer or are cars simply not seeing the post? Would a bollard in front of the traffic light not be suitable in this case?
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I think, after look at it again, I'd just pull the stop line back a bit and mount the RAGA(<) and RAG-NRT on a new pole on the left, perhaps duplicating the displays on the nearside secondary, removing the island altogether. The opposing secondaries could be mounted on the back of this too, with perhaps a new RAGA(^)-NLT on a nearside secondary for that direction too, if necessary.

I'd go as far as to start mauling about with kerb lines to make it all a bit neater, but this would become quite costly I think...
Simon
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

I personally would have it mounted to the wall so no pole is need and they won't get knocked over.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Tom Williams wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 21:05 I personally would have it mounted to the wall so no pole is need and they won't get knocked over.
I'm not sure what wall you're referring to, without severely compromising sight-lines and any useful viewing of the lanterns from the stop lines.

I've done a little drawing of a rough idea of mine... I got bored fairly quickly putting all the nitty gritty bits in, but I'm sure you get the idea! Red lines are altered kerb lines, and I've just re-done all the signals for the heck of it - peds excluded.
Attachments
Inverness.png
Inverness.png (112.44 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
Simon