Updated Traffic Signs Manual

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Conekicker

Updated Traffic Signs Manual

Post by Conekicker »

Chapters 1, 3, 4, 5 and 7 uploaded today:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... gns-manual
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
yen_powell

Re: Updated Traffic Signs Manual

Post by yen_powell »

They've not rushed have they. Three years after the regs.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Frankly, considering how few people are in post at DfT these days with sufficient signing knowledge, I think they've done very well.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
yen_powell

Post by yen_powell »

Reading time at work tomorrow, if I can get a printer to work for me that is. I seem to get on better with a printed page rather than a PC screen.
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

What about Chapter 2, "Design of Directional and Informatory Signs" and Chapter 6, "Traffic Control?"

Chapter 2 has had nothing but a (very outdated!) list of Primary Destinations for over five years and not a sniff of Chapter 6!

What's taking the DfT so long?

(Mind you, we have got a new Chapter 1 now – we had to make do with a withdrawn one for long enough!)

If the Irish can produce a full set of TSM Documents in one go, (The Irish TSM dates from 2010 and is complete) why can't we?

Chris Williams
Bomag

Post by Bomag »

Chris56000 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 20:13 Hi!

What about Chapter 2, "Design of Directional and Informatory Signs" and Chapter 6, "Traffic Control?"

Chapter 2 has had nothing but a (very outdated!) list of Primary Destinations for over five years and not a sniff of Chapter 6!

(Mind you, we have got a new Chapter 1 now – we had to make do with a withdrawn one for long enough!)

If the Irish can produce a full set of TSM Documents in one go, (The Irish TSM dates from 2010 and is complete) why can't we?

Chris Williams
How many people do you think are actually working on updating the TSM?

As for Chapter 2 go and read IAN 144 and 145, that is the nearest you are going to get in a while.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Bomag wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 23:34

Chris Williams

As for Chapter 2 go and read IAN 144 and 145, that is the nearest you are going to get in a while.
I thought most of IAN 144/145 was now in Chapter 7, making Chapter 2 even less likely. Maybe, in some alternative world where there are more than three people working in traffic signs policy, Chapter 2 could be devoted to things like cycling infrastructure and other 'non-road' features that everyone makes a total dog's dinner of.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 23:48 I thought most of IAN 144/145 was now in Chapter 7, making Chapter 2 even less likely. Maybe, in some alternative world where there are more than three people working in traffic signs policy, Chapter 2 could be devoted to things like cycling infrastructure and other 'non-road' features that everyone makes a total dog's dinner of.
I haven't read it cover to cover, (yet, :cry:), but I'm pretty sure there's nothing from 144/145 in 7. Just a few bits on the new directional sign types and one or two slightly expanded sections to clarify the odd thing here and there.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Chapter 6 published today - Traffic Control (i.e. signals)
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Wasn't expecting that until the new year, "Well done DfT". :D
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 23:48
Bomag wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 23:34

Chris Williams

I thought most of IAN 144/145 was now in Chapter 7, making Chapter 2 even less likely. Maybe, in some alternative world where there are more than three people working in traffic signs policy, Chapter 2 could be devoted to things like cycling infrastructure and other 'non-road' features that everyone makes a total dog's dinner of.
A colleague queried the withdrawal of IAN 144, especially as CD 146 only covers motorways and not all-purpose trunk roads and got this as part of the reply;
III. Highways England are seeking formal transfer of guidance and national best practice contained within IAN 144 to the department, to form the basis of a new Traffic Signs Manual; Chapter 2 ( Directional Informatory Signs on Motorways and All-purpose Trunk Roads)
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

RichardA35 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 09:44 Chapter 6 published today - Traffic Control (i.e. signals)
198 pages! So much for "Simplify and then add lightness".
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Debaser wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 16:06
RichardA35 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 09:44 Chapter 6 published today - Traffic Control (i.e. signals)
Chapter 7 is longer...
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Arcuarius wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 16:11
Debaser wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 16:06
Chapter 7 is longer...
Don't get me started on that. Or any of the others - whoever chose the formatting needs to go on a course in producing readable documents.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Juicy!!!! How long is it gonna take to read cover to cover?
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

jervi wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 19:19
Juicy!!!! How long is it gonna take to read cover to cover?
Why not give it a try then come back if there are any parts that are unclear to you.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Noticed this on Wednesday https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.30580 ... 384!8i8192
I thought it seemed wrong to have a mandatory proceed left and ahead on the same sign. Despite it not seeming right, the chapter doesn't say its wrong? Surely you don't need the left and ahead mandatory roundels and just the arrow aspects?

Also, potentially the last tunnel to get wig-wag signals: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.50242 ... 384!8i8192
They were installed in 2017, and the new manual says
Tunnel sites with existing wig‑wag installations may remain in place until the equipment reaches the end of its life.
yen_powell

Post by yen_powell »

Had a quick look through. When the new Chapter 5 came out I couldn't work out why the zebra crossing stuff had been taken out of it. It's all been chucked into the Chapter 6 is the answer.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

What is going on with the list of Primary Destinations in England that's published as part of that lot?

It has the additions and removals from 2012, so Stone and Northwich are both in, and Tilbury is out. The 2009 changes are all in there; so Manchester Airport is in; Workington is out.

But...

The 2011 changes are missing! So no Birmingham Airport, no East Midlands Airport, no Minehead or Colne.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Steven wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 08:17 What is going on with the list of Primary Destinations in England that's published as part of that lot?

It has the additions and removals from 2012, so Stone and Northwich are both in, and Tilbury is out. The 2009 changes are all in there; so Manchester Airport is in; Workington is out.

But...

The 2011 changes are missing! So no Birmingham Airport, no East Midlands Airport, no Minehead or Colne.
LTN 1/94 is still seen as gospel in that regard. Which is worrying. It probably will work its way into Chapter 2 some time in 2079.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck