Unkown Sign 1395m?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bfivethousand

Re: Unkown Sign 1395m?

Post by Bfivethousand »

It looks like it's something to do with an ineptly implemented u-turn prohibition
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Bfivethousand wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 01:10 It looks like it's something to do with an ineptly implemented u-turn prohibition
Nice thought but the u-turn sign has been there longer than the countdown sign. We have, however, found another one!
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

I'm pretty sure that this can be the only explanation. Travel beyond the 116m sign and you'll find a no U-turn / end combo at the roundabout - without taking a measurement I would say 116 metres looks about right for the distance between the two.

Next, spin around 180 and you'll find a couple of no U-turn / 1 mile combos.

I would happily wager that the 1395m and 1259m plates are, supposedly, complementary distance plates for non-existant no U-turn repeater signs signifying the distance to the end of the mile-long prohibition of u-turning along that stretch of the A316.

Obviously the distances should be imperial. And the plates should be accompanied by no U-turn roundels. And the plates should each include the word "For". Apart from that, a job well done 🤪
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

Bfivethousand wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 18:52 I'm pretty sure that this can be the only explanation. Travel beyond the 116m sign and you'll find a no U-turn / end combo at the roundabout - without taking a measurement I would say 116 metres looks about right for the distance between the two.
Agree that seems to be the obvious explanation.

The distances from the first two signs get you to the juction that is the S4 / D2 transition point and the central barrier means the U-turn ban is no longer required after that.
DEFarnes

Post by DEFarnes »

Bfivethousand wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 01:10 It looks like it's something to do with an ineptly implemented u-turn prohibition
Who put up that sign and thought, you know, that is perfectly visible? Or if the other sign was put up before it, I know, let's move the other sign so it is visible!
DEFarnes

Post by DEFarnes »

Hello, here are the two FOI requests, wasn't sure if the Borough Council or TfL were responsible* for this so I sent one to both.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-890218

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-890216

*Yes I know I am a NOOB for not knowing this and should be publicly humiliated on the forum.
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

"No U-turns for 116 miles" ?!
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
DEFarnes

Post by DEFarnes »

DEFarnes wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 16:47 Hello, here are the two FOI requests, wasn't sure if the Borough Council or TfL were responsible* for this so I sent one to both.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-890218

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-890216

*Yes I know I am a NOOB for not knowing this and should be publicly humiliated on the forum.
Latest: it's a TFL sign.
DEFarnes

Post by DEFarnes »

So the FOI request is back.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ad_sign_on

It looks like no one checked the signs when they were put up so the should be coming down by Autumn 2019. But by TfL standards that is December 2022.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

"It is standard practice for our road signs to be reflected in miles and yards and the quotation of any distances on signage in metres is therefore incorrect."

Nice weasel words TfL. It isn't "standard practice", it's a legal requirement. "Incorrect" should read "unlawful". But they're never going to put that in writing, now are they?
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Euan

Post by Euan »

DEFarnes wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 21:01 So the FOI request is back.

It looks like no one checked the signs when they were put up so the should be coming down by Autumn 2019. But by TfL standards that is December 2022.
Hopefully it would not take as long as that to remove the sign, and ideally whenever the 1395m sign is removed so will the 1259m sign. I have to say they are rather strange distances to describe on a sign even if we actually did use metric.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

These distances quoted in metres aren't a sensible or lawful distance either – TFL might as well remove both of these signs and place a "No U–Turns" prohibition with a "For ¾ mile" plate two lamp–posts after the post the second sign came from, and the same, but plated "For 1 mile" two lamp–posts back from the first one!

TSRGD and the TSM are both well aware that distances can't be accurately specified in dense built–up areas, this is why distances are specified "to the nearest ¼ mile" for distances of 3 miles or less! These documents also allow very short distances to be quoted to the nearest 50 yards, but I'm fairly sure that's only up to ¼ mile (440 yards) or less!

Chris Williams
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Chris56000 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 19:20 Hi!

These distances quoted in metres aren't a sensible or lawful distance either – TFL might as well remove both of these signs and place a "No U–Turns" prohibition with a "For ¾ mile" plate two lamp–posts after the post the second sign came from, and the same, but plated "For 1 mile" two lamp–posts back from the first one!

TSRGD and the TSM are both well aware that distances can't be accurately specified in dense built–up areas, this is why distances are specified "to the nearest ¼ mile" for distances of 3 miles or less! These documents also allow very short distances to be quoted to the nearest 50 yards, but I'm fairly sure that's only up to ¼ mile (440 yards) or less!

Chris Williams
TSRGD Schedule 18:

A distance of less than ½ mile must be expressed—
(a) to the nearest ¼ mile with the fractions ½ and ¼ being used; or
(b) in yards, to the nearest 10 yards
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
DEFarnes

Post by DEFarnes »

DEFarnes wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 21:01 So the FOI request is back.

It and all of the other inefficient signs are still there as of Today (January 2020).
Skermington

Post by Skermington »

2024* update
Still there! :bang:

* Streetview imagery from September 2022, but based on an observation on 3/2/24, you have my assurance that they still are!
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

kawaki wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 16:10
DEFarnes wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 23:11 Hello all, I tried searching the forums first but no avail.

Any idea of the sign saying 1395m on The Avenue section of the A316 in Twickenham? I think it is a distance marker, but where from and why in metres? I don't know what is 1395 miles away!

https://goo.gl/maps/2pB8TV5xZtp

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1u11Z84VY8LrPbxb9
Hi, I saw your post about the sign saying 1395m on the A316 in Twickenham. I did some research and found out that it is a banned U-turn restriction sign, indicating the length of the ban for eastbound traffic. It is 1395m from the start of the restriction near Hospital Bridge Road to the end near Twickenham Bridge. The sign is in metres because it was installed in 2016, when TfL adopted the metric system for new signs. I hope this answers your question. Cheers!
One muses how many more utterly unlawful things TfL might have done.

One would have thought a public body couldn't be that completely clueless to the point of pig-ignorance.

Perhaps someone should have a word in their shell-like, if what kawaki says is actually true.

Just saying like...
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Conekicker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 22:37
DEFarnes wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 23:11 Hello all, I tried searching the forums first but no avail.

Any idea of the sign saying 1395m on The Avenue section of the A316 in Twickenham? I think it is a distance marker, but where from and why in metres? I don't know what is 1395 miles away!

https://goo.gl/maps/2pB8TV5xZtp

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1u11Z84VY8LrPbxb9
Hi, I saw your post about the sign saying 1395m on the A316 in Twickenham. I did some research and found out that it is a banned U-turn restriction sign, indicating the length of the ban for eastbound traffic. It is 1395m from the start of the restriction near Hospital Bridge Road to the end near Twickenham Bridge. The sign is in metres because it was installed in 2016, when TfL adopted the metric system for new signs. I hope this answers your question. Cheers!

One would have thought a public body couldn't be that completely clueless to the point of pig-ignorance.

Perhaps someone should have a word in their shell-like, if what kawaki says is actually true.

Just saying like...
FWIW I don’t think it is true, and I’d be interested to see a source for the claim. All the ULEZ signage installed in the last couple of years, for example, expresses distances to the restriction in either yards or miles.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 08:31
Conekicker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 22:37

Just saying like...
FWIW I don’t think it is true, and I’d be interested to see a source for the claim. All the ULEZ signage installed in the last couple of years, for example, expresses distances to the restriction in either yards or miles.
Apologies, a case of a sarcastic post not coming across online :wink:
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Conekicker wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:26Apologies, a case of a sarcastic post not coming across online :wink:
D’oh!