Out of date road signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Beardy5632

Re: Out of date road signs

Post by Beardy5632 »

There's plenty around the Forest.

I know Owain has mentioned the old A48 in Lydney but we also have Christchurch crossroads which is now unclassified, this one in Lydbrook where the B4234 carries onto Ross and this in Five Acres as the B4432 doesn't go through Berry Hill anymore.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

I went down the Fosse Way on Saturday, and I found this. Yes, it says A3400 to the left and A34 to the right, nearly 30 years after M40 opened and A34 was downgraded and renumbered. The thing is, the numbers don't appear to be patched, so I think we can discount the idea of a patch having dropped off. The sign approaching the roundabout from the other direction is correct, and of course the A3400 signage is consistent.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Although I just submitted this picture, I took it nine years ago.

It wasn't the A2039 then although the exact date it changed into the B243 is unclear. The road was also unclassified between the A and B designations. The sign still exists and indeed the route is still marked from the A212 itself and from the A232.
Viator

Post by Viator »

multiraider2 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 14:52 Although I just submitted this picture, I took it nine years ago.
That sign -- not the graphics but the construction -- looks very French! (Brushed-metal-edged "box" panel, thick post in two parts, shiny at the top.) Are there many others of similar construction in that neck of the woods?
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Viator wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 19:06 That sign -- not the graphics but the construction -- looks very French! (Brushed-metal-edged "box" panel, thick post in two parts, shiny at the top.) Are there many others of similar construction in that neck of the woods?
It does seem to be a South Croydon/A212 thing. There are some more examples in all the roads of a nearby A212 junction here, here and here for example.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

multiraider2 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 23:16
Viator wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 19:06 That sign -- not the graphics but the construction -- looks very French! (Brushed-metal-edged "box" panel, thick post in two parts, shiny at the top.) Are there many others of similar construction in that neck of the woods?
It does seem to be a South Croydon/A212 thing. There are some more examples in all the roads of a nearby A212 junction here, here and here for example.
They're manufactured by JC Decaux, which is the French company who make a lot of street furniture used in France. Croydon evidently went through a phase of using their products, as things like this are all over the borough, but don't any more.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 20:04
They're manufactured by JC Decaux, which is the French company who make a lot of street furniture used in France. Croydon evidently went through a phase of using their products, as things like this are all over the borough, but don't any more.
Presumably they were once backlit too, as that's the whole purpose of these signs in France.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Viator

Post by Viator »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 22:01
Presumably they were once backlit too, as that's the whole purpose of these signs in France.
Ah, the bus shelter people. Thanks, Chris!
Armed with that info, I've dug a little deeper and found that they're referred to in the manufacturer's home language as caissons directionnels. While it's true that those with a very deep box are frequently internally illuminated in France, I don't know that that's necessarily the case for all of JCDecaux's caissons since they market a "shallower" version -- which the South Croydon ones seem to resemble -- as being en aluminium avec film rétroréfléchissant.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Viator wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 23:23
Ah, the bus shelter people. Thanks, Chris!
Armed with that info, I've dug a little deeper and found that they're referred to in the manufacturer's home language as caissons directionnels. While it's true that those with a very deep box are frequently internally illuminated in France, I don't know that that's necessarily the case for all of JCDecaux's caissons since they market a "shallower" version -- which the South Croydon ones seem to resemble -- as being en aluminium avec film rétroréfléchissant.
I think Viator is right - all Croydon’s stock are very shallow. I don’t think they were ever backlit.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 20:04 They're manufactured by JC Decaux, which is the French company who make a lot of street furniture used in France. Croydon evidently went through a phase of using their products, as things like this are all over the borough, but don't any more.
No, although they look like they should be lit internally, they never were. It was some time in the 1990s that Croydon installed them across the borough, although that did seem to be a one off and I'm not aware that any further signs were installed after that batch; all the more recent signs I've seen are of the traditional sheet metal construction.
Lockkeeper

Post by Lockkeeper »

Not sure if this has been covered, but in West London, as you approach the Earls Court one way system from the A4 West Cromwell Road there is a sign advising you that the Congestion charge starts 570 yards ahead and to avoid it you should take the A3220. The congestion Charge used to start here but was moved back to Park Lane several years ago. The strange thing is, the most recent Google Streetview image shows the sign as missing but it has since been replaced, even though it is out of date and misleading.
https://goo.gl/maps/gCFeYVbvaDgodTNV6
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

Are there still signs in Manchester directing drivers to the M63? I think there were still a couple not that long ago although they might have been removed now.
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

The route confirmation sign on A641 leaving Huddersfield town centre is green, despite the fact it's not been primary since the early 1970s. Similarly, several signs in Brighouse town centre give A641 an unwarranted green patch.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The oldest one, and the sign looks like its from the early seventies, is one at the junction of the B6318/ B6528 at Heddon on the Wall still shows A69 Hexham and A69 Newcastle. This sign is now 43 years out of date as Heddon was by passed early in 1976.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

lefthandedspanner wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 21:25 The route confirmation sign on A641 leaving Huddersfield town centre is green, despite the fact it's not been primary since the early 1970s. Similarly, several signs in Brighouse town centre give A641 an unwarranted green patch.
The A644 has the green patch, to denote it becoming primary once it crosses the M62. Having helped with the mass sign replacement a decade ago I remember it well. Prior to that Brighouse was the land that time forgot signage wise.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

There's probably still signs in Derby with City Centre crudely patched over Town Centre in recognition of Derby's promotion to city for the queen's jubilee. That's the silver jubilee.

I haven't been to Rochester but they've probably still got City Centre signs reluctant to admit the demotion to town.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Shoutout to my local Council for never, ever removing a construction site sign. The construction of all the newbuilds in my childhood village can be documented using ancient signs.

I lived on this estate when I was a child, from 1999. Can't recall if this sign has actually been removed as there's been an audit of emergency signposting and sign clutter around Cardiff Airport (I assume a number of out-of-area emergency vehicles got lost during a drill) but the earliest they'd have been moved was Winter 2018-19. 20 years after they were put up presumably without permission.

This development is adjacent to my childhood school. They were built before I remember, so probably 2000-2002 or so. There are a couple of development signs on the approach to the airport terminal roundabout. Small wonder the level of distracted driving around the airport is through the roof - the road signs are too cluttered to be useful and some of them are homemade by the airport, one of which has the circulating direction of the roundabout backwards (remembering now that non-UK drivers frequent the area). The result is a huge number of barely-driving drivers finding themselves going around in circles in Rhoose village on the wrong side of the runway. :roll: I'd have thought the ideal level of signage around an International Airport is minimal, with everything precise and easily readable for anyone including speakers of other languages.

I know developers still put these infernal things up as some have appeared pointing for some reason away from Rhoose towards a development now two years old in St Athan. Totally unnecessary as the road through Rhoose circles back onto the B4265 at either end so nobody driving a builders' vehicle would ever be needing directions from Rhoose to anywhere else. It's madness that the Council has never sent anyone around to cut these things down.
Richard_Fairhurst

Post by Richard_Fairhurst »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:55 I went down the Fosse Way on Saturday, and I found this. Yes, it says A3400 to the left and A34 to the right, nearly 30 years after M40 opened and A34 was downgraded and renumbered. The thing is, the numbers don't appear to be patched, so I think we can discount the idea of a patch having dropped off. The sign approaching the roundabout from the other direction is correct, and of course the A3400 signage is consistent.
The patch has dropped off. I used to commute along that road every week and I remember noticing it happening!

(5ish years ago maybe?)

Correct link: https://goo.gl/maps/4iXGnHuhxzcpfWFx5
Help map the world: openstreetmap.org
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

I thought of this thread earlier as I sat in traffic looking at an advance warning of roadworks sign, the date on which was in March 2019.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Unless this sign has been replaced in the last year (which I would doubt as it is within the MSA), this sign is now 20 years out of date:-

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.21899 ... 6656?hl=en