Out of date road signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

dseagull

Re: Out of date road signs

Post by dseagull »

Although there are still some mental health facilities on site, and some offices, Hellingly Hospital closed in 1994. Judging by the distance, however, this sign refers to Park House, a smaller (for acute cases) hospital on the same site, which actually closed nearly a decade earlier, in 1986 (the hospital proper was a good half a mile further on).

Still there as of this evening.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

As long as a hospital site remains in partial use for patients, especially in-patients, the sign's accurate enough.
mark3evo

Post by mark3evo »

as an aside Hellingly had its own electric tramway earlier in the 20th century, met hellingly station on the Eridge to Polegate line
Worcestershire Wolf

Post by Worcestershire Wolf »

One of these pair of signs is out of date from when the A376 was not primary!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.71240 ... 384!8i8192
alice

Post by alice »

I always notice this one. There hasn't been a "Central" station in Bournemouth since 1967 when Bournemouth West closed and what was Bournemouth Central became simply 'Bournemouth'. But the sign doesn't look that old, so I suspect it's been out of date from the first day it was there...
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Sheffield Ski Village (well we might as well make some use of one of the seven hills) burnt down seven years ago and most of the signs have now been covered up but some haven't.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Still a sign proudly proclaiming Prestwich has a national rail station...

It only changed to Metrolink in 1992...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Worcestershire Wolf wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 21:14 One of these pair of signs is out of date from when the A376 was not primary!

Also the local direction sign still has a blue border.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Actually, this whole thread answers those "Why don't they re-number X, Y or Z road?" questions which occur with some regularity. Even on small, discrete changes to the highway, signs can easily be missed or it's decided they're too expensive to change. Making a wholesale change to a route many kilometres long, even in a rural area, either involves massive logistics to get a change done quickly, or a looooong time with a small dedicated team. Either way it's likely to be prohibitively expensive.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Yep. Apart from junctions with the new road, they tend only to replace signs on the old road if they're life-expired or the destination indicated can no longer be reached that way.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

PhilC wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 17:55
Worcestershire Wolf wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 21:14 One of these pair of signs is out of date from when the A376 was not primary!

Also the local direction sign still has a blue border.
Also has the A376 ever been non-primary since the M5 opened? I know that when the A377 previously went to Exmouth via Topsham that was non-primary, but not so sure about this.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

DavidBrown wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 06:50 Also has the A376 ever been non-primary since the M5 opened? I know that when the A377 previously went to Exmouth via Topsham that was non-primary, but not so sure about this.
Only became primary around 1990, I think...
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

AndyB wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 19:21 Yep. Apart from junctions with the new road, they tend only to replace signs on the old road if they're life-expired or the destination indicated can no longer be reached that way.
They should also replace (or at least patch) the signs if the road is upgraded to motorway, as that might materially affect whether some drivers follow the signs or not.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Stevie D wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:39 They should also replace (or at least patch) the signs if the road is upgraded to motorway, as that might materially affect whether some drivers follow the signs or not.
Head eastbound along the A66, there are so many signs for the A1(M) which haven't been updated from A1. Only when you reach the junction do the signs start being correct.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

jervi wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 15:57
Stevie D wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:39 They should also replace (or at least patch) the signs if the road is upgraded to motorway, as that might materially affect whether some drivers follow the signs or not.
Head eastbound along the A66, there are so many signs for the A1(M) which haven't been updated from A1. Only when you reach the junction do the signs start being correct.
Similarly there are signs all over the likes of Ripon, Thirsk and Northallerton which refer (now incorrectly) to the A1. Highway schemes, even the big ones, have budget limits and changing every sign is impractical and uneconomic.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

There’s a yellow sign in town along the lines of “advanced warning, roadworks in March 2019”, it was still there last week.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Debaser wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 20:36
Similarly there are signs all over the likes of Ripon, Thirsk and Northallerton which refer (now incorrectly) to the A1. Highway schemes, even the big ones, have budget limits and changing every sign is impractical and uneconomic.
While I don't expect every sign to be updated when a route changes, but you would expect that the large ones would be updated. Even regarding budget, how much would it cost to get 100 of the exact same patches to stick on the current signs. Since most of signs on this example the A66 have the same x-height. Its when the entire sign has to change (due to primary route status normally) I wouldn't expect it to change.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Fenlander wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 21:12There’s a yellow sign in town along the lines of “advanced warning, roadworks in March 2019”, it was still there last week.
I see your March 2019 and I raise you August 2013. The sign was still there a couple of weeks ago.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

jervi wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 21:17
Debaser wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 20:36

While I don't expect every sign to be updated when a route changes, but you would expect that the large ones would be updated. Even regarding budget, how much would it cost to get 100 of the exact same patches to stick on the current signs. Since most of signs on this example the A66 have the same x-height. Its when the entire sign has to change (due to primary route status normally) I wouldn't expect it to change.
For the A1(M) NYCC would have liked every sign on their network referring to the A1 to have been patched. It not being their network HE would have preferred to have changed none of the local road signs, in the end there was the compromise of signs within a narrow corridor being altered.

On HE's own roads (e.g. the A66) you have one highway authority but two groups - major projects, responsible for building new roads, and then the maintenance group. One lot only want to pay for new kit and see everything else as being the responsibility of maintenance. Maintenance, meanwhile, see changes forced upon them by MP and want them to pay.

In the end money's involved as part of departmental budgets and so is politics with a small 'p' - more than you'd think for a 'simple' change to some signs.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Debaser wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 21:45 For the A1(M) NYCC would have liked every sign on their network referring to the A1 to have been patched. It not being their network HE would have preferred to have changed none of the local road signs, in the end there was the compromise of signs within a narrow corridor being altered.
I guess another thing to bear in mind is that (A1(M)) on a sign is significantly longer than (A1), and by the time you include the blue panel required that's a lot of extra space required on the sign. So what might start off as a simple patch is now all of a sudden a whole new sign being required. Repeat hundreds, if not thousands of times, and all of a sudden you've got one hell of a big job and one hell of a big bill, irregardless of whether it's HE or NYCC stumping up for it.