Out of date road signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

Re: Out of date road signs

Post by the cheesecake man »

All the Town Centre signs I passed in Doncaster this morning. :coat:
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

I've passed an advance warning of road closure a few times recently but been unable to make out when the closure is as that key piece of information is on the bottom line of text and buried in the long grass. Went past it today and they've cut the grass so I now know when it is, or rather was as it's an overnight in March. :roll:
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

The low bridge was demolished quite some time ago. I'm unsure if it meant the bridge or just a low obstacle over the road because I know they had overhead pipes and cables down there in a gantry too at one point connecting the factories there was definitely a bridge also. This sign looks newish also maybe they just replaced like for like.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

L.J.D wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 15:24 The low bridge was demolished quite some time ago. I'm unsure if it meant the bridge or just a low obstacle over the road because I know they had overhead pipes and cables down there in a gantry too at one point connecting the factories there was definitely a bridge also. This sign looks newish also maybe they just replaced like for like.
I'd say it was the bridge carrying the railway from Castleford up to Garforth. That line was finally closed in 1998 and the bridge removed before 2009 when the Streetview car went by.
vlad

Post by vlad »

I noticed today that this brown sign for Stapeley Water Gardens is still there, despite the fact that said gardens closed over 10 years ago.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

vlad wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 21:49 I noticed today that this brown sign for Stapeley Water Gardens is still there, despite the fact that said gardens closed over 10 years ago.
Wow, is it that long ago? I've driven the A51 on many occasions and got held up by traffic turning right into the water gardens as there isn't a right turn lane. But then again, it's probably been the same amount of time since the southern bypass of Nantwich opened.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

This sign has been patched to change "Scotland TranServ" to "BEAR Scotland". But it's not been changed from "Scottish Executive" to "Transport Scotland", despite that name and logo not having been used since 2007.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

I think it's far to say that many route confirmation signs are out of date given that new roads open all the time. I wonder what the most out of date rcs is.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

There is a roundabout about half a mile from me that shows a turn off for an open cast mine that closed in 1992. The sign must date back to 1982, when the road was upgraded for the open cast mine, and has never been replaced.
the cheesecake man

Why bother patching this? Why not just remove it?
TS

Post by TS »

I think this sign dates back to the realignment of the A3049 Wallisdown Road in about 1986 with the instalment of the A347 Boundary Road and the Boundary Roundabout.

I am just too young to recall, but maps suggest that, before Boundary Road, there was an actual diverging turning here, making the top-right-pointing arrow here meaningful. Today, the road does go in the direction indicated but there is no other option.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

TS wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 18:13 I think this sign dates back to the realignment of the A3049 Wallisdown Road in about 1986 with the instalment of the A347 Boundary Road and the Boundary Roundabout.

I am just too young to recall, but maps suggest that, before Boundary Road, there was an actual diverging turning here, making the top-right-pointing arrow here meaningful. Today, the road does go in the direction indicated but there is no other option.
There is another option - to go straight ahead on the road now called "White Farm Close". The junction has been realigned, but you can see that it was at one time the straight route. And somewhat oddly, it seems that the through route has always jiggled to the right here, passing through what's now the roundabout, before bearing left onto Talbot Road. The straight road ahead made a 90 degree left turn, along what's now Glenmoor road, with no option to continue east. I suspect this has something to do with the borough boundary - which perhaps unsurprisingly ran up Boundary Road!
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Many brown signs for destinations in Manchester still have the Manchester Evening News logos for the Arena, a few years after they stopped sponsoring it.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
vlad

Post by vlad »

RichardA626 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 22:27 Many brown signs for destinations in Manchester still have the Manchester Evening News logos for the Arena, a few years after they stopped sponsoring it.
On that thought, I noticed today that this sign has been patched (rather obviously) and now says "Follow AO Arena".
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

vlad wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 20:47
RichardA626 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 22:27 Many brown signs for destinations in Manchester still have the Manchester Evening News logos for the Arena, a few years after they stopped sponsoring it.
On that thought, I noticed today that this sign has been patched (rather obviously) and now says "Follow AO Arena".
That was one of signs I passed last week.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Was in Weymouth last Thursday week. I noted that the tracks had been completley lifted on the Weymouth Harbour Tramway. Online reports state that work to do this started in October 2020, so just after this streetview shot was taken.. I posted the sign in the Rare Roadsigns thread as a a unique combination of warnings. Sadly the sign now belongs in this thread also.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

multiraider2 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 22:17 Was in Weymouth last Thursday week. I noted that the tracks had been completley lifted on the Weymouth Harbour Tramway. Online reports state that work to do this started in October 2020, so just after this streetview shot was taken.. I posted the sign in the Rare Roadsigns thread as a a unique combination of warnings. Sadly the sign now belongs in this thread also.
End of an era. I know it hadn't been in use for a number of years, but while the tracks remained there was the possiblity of an alternative use for them, and I know that a Parry People Mover was tried out relatively recently, though it was stopped due to (I think) stone debris in the track - but that is an issue that would be absent with regular use. Videos of trains using the Tramway are available on YouTube.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:32
multiraider2 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 22:17 Was in Weymouth last Thursday week. I noted that the tracks had been completley lifted on the Weymouth Harbour Tramway. Online reports state that work to do this started in October 2020, so just after this streetview shot was taken.. I posted the sign in the Rare Roadsigns thread as a a unique combination of warnings. Sadly the sign now belongs in this thread also.
End of an era. I know it hadn't been in use for a number of years, but while the tracks remained there was the possiblity of an alternative use for them, and I know that a Parry People Mover was tried out relatively recently, though it was stopped due to (I think) stone debris in the track - but that is an issue that would be absent with regular use. Videos of trains using the Tramway are available on YouTube.
Here's a video of the Parry People Mover trial in 1996:

When I visited Weymouth about a year ago I spotted a sign still in existence warning drivers to park clear of the railway line, however it was right above a table at a quayside restaurant and I don't think the couple dining there would have been too happy if I leant over and took a photo! It's visible on GSV but it's a 2020 revision with the track still in place and last year the tables came out further along the pavement.
the cheesecake man

Turn left for City Hall disabled parking and servicing. Sadly the road is now one way in the other direction. :ipunch:
jnty

Post by jnty »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 13:11 Turn left for City Hall disabled parking and servicing. Sadly the road is now one way in the other direction. :ipunch:
Think your links are to different years of GSV imagery - there's no year where the sign and the one way restriction coexist. The now-erroneous sign has gone.