Out of date road signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rambo

Re: Out of date road signs

Post by Rambo »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 21:34 A very faded sign that is! Fun fact about that crossing; it was the last in the country to have wig-wags without an amber light.
Here's a lovely view of them. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4584622 ... 312!8i6656
Are these the ones re located from Ellesmere Port as Traffic-light-man suggests?
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

They're the ones. You can clearly make out the original backing board and white border in those images, which is great to see.

It's very possible that they were fobbing me off, however the ones at Vauxhall Motors definitely got removed, and this crossing definitely gained some around the right time!
Simon
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Very interesting story, thank you for sharing it.
traffic-light-man

On the subject of level crossings, here's a brilliant example from Wirral Council of simply replacing what's already there. In this instance, at some point in the recent past, they replaced the metal signs with internally illuminated retro reflective signs. This level crossing has been disused since at least 1993.
Attachments
IMG_20200602_212133.jpg
Simon
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:00 On the subject of level crossings, here's a brilliant example from Wirral Council of simply replacing what's already there. In this instance, at some point in the recent past, they replaced the metal signs with internally illuminated retro reflective signs. This level crossing has been disused since at least 1993.
Yeah a bit of a waste of money. I wonder how many other disused level crossings around the country get sign upgrades as a matter of course?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Rambo wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 14:06
traffic-light-man wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:00 On the subject of level crossings, here's a brilliant example from Wirral Council of simply replacing what's already there. In this instance, at some point in the recent past, they replaced the metal signs with internally illuminated retro reflective signs. This level crossing has been disused since at least 1993.
Yeah a bit of a waste of money. I wonder how many other disused level crossings around the country get sign upgrades as a matter of course?
"Disused" is not the same as "abandoned". A disused railway can be brought back into use as and when someone needs to use it and has it brought back to usability, with little notice. So keeping signage up to scratch makes sense.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Chris Bertram wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 16:39
"Disused" is not the same as "abandoned". A disused railway can be brought back into use as and when someone needs to use it and has it brought back to usability, with little notice. So keeping signage up to scratch makes sense.
Yeah i suppose that is the thinking. But the chance of this being live again are pretty slim and has been disused for 27 years.
At the other crossing seen here https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3983664 ... 384!8i8192 another sign yet the wig wags are no longer visble (only two hidden in the trees facing the wrong way) and it has been tarmacked over so seems a bit silly. It appears they didn't feel the need to sign it from the other direction too. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3980076 ... 384!8i8192
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

I encountered a portable VMS in Chesterfield yesterday warning of long delays on Sheffield Road. I started thinking of an alternative route home , then wondered why I hadn't noticed these delays on the way in. Then I spotted the delays are expected on 18th May. Perhaps they've put the sign up very early!
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Rambo wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 16:58
Chris Bertram wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 16:39
Yeah i suppose that is the thinking. But the chance of this being live again are pretty slim and has been disused for 27 years.
At the other crossing seen here https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3983664 ... 384!8i8192 another sign yet the wig wags are no longer visble (only two hidden in the trees facing the wrong way) and it has been tarmacked over so seems a bit silly. It appears they didn't feel the need to sign it from the other direction too. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3980076 ... 384!8i8192
It might be a good idea to keep signs in place to alert NMUs to the rails, which still seem to be present in the roadway.
jervi

Post by jervi »

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@51.1 ... .82p,1.78z
Signs that were installed as what I'd presume to of been the maidenbower neighbourhood of Crawley mentioned Town Centre (A264), however Maidenbower didn't start construction until 1987 (and took just over 10 years to construct), and the South Eastern bypass was built (or being built) in 1987. So either the sign has been wrong ever since it was erected, or was only right for a matter of months.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Thought i would dredge up this thread as this sign neither belongs in botched or manky threads.

This is by Ellesmere Port docks. The Cawoods container terminal here closed in 1993. And surprisingly the sign had it's original manufacturing sticker on the back clearly showing 1993 ! So it became out of date very quickly !
Attachments
IMG_5853.JPG
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

the cheesecake man wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 19:46 I encountered a portable VMS in Chesterfield yesterday warning of long delays on Sheffield Road. I started thinking of an alternative route home , then wondered why I hadn't noticed these delays on the way in. Then I spotted the delays are expected on 18th May. Perhaps they've put the sign up very early!
Was it paging the message - that's so naughty. Just because imported kit can do something, doesn't mean it's legal to do it in the UK.

TSRGD 2016, S16-1-1(8) refers.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
traffic-light-man

Perhaps also classified as 'manky', this one is from some major works the mid 90s and is still living on.
Attachments
IMG_20201121_120407.jpg
Simon
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:33 Perhaps also classified as 'manky', this one is from some major works the mid 90s and is still living on.
Would this be normal practice to hang 'road works' signs on lamp posts? these days i assume they would just be the portable type.
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

This, on what has been the A299 for about 20 years or so.....
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Runwell wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 00:11 Lots of signs in Essex in East London, mostly on the A13 and nearby roads, but even on the M11 s/b entry to the M25 that still say 'Dartford Tunnel', some 28 years after traffic from the North side of the Thames was switched to the bridge
Just thinking off the top of my head where I've seen the Dartford Tunnel ones on the North side of the River:
M25 RCS clockwise after J23 and J24 - the latter looks an abomination.
A13 junction signs at Stanford-le-Hope (A1014) and Tilbury (A1089) - the latter another one for the manky signs list. The one at Orsett Cock (A128) has at last gone as part of the widening work, whilst the only RCS mentioning Dartford Tunnel after the A1014 was also removed.
B1007 ADS approaching the A13.
A1012 ADS approaching the A13, as well as coming from North Stifford on the opposite side of the junction.
A176 ADS from the Basildon direction approaching the A127.
Miles Gray Road approach to the same A127 junction.
RCS on A176 in Basildon Town Centre. I'm quite sure the sign was replaced in the last 20 years, as the old one I recall was very manky. Yet the updated one still mentions Dartford Tnl, and uses brackets for all destinations!
Many signs around Laindon on the B148 and B1036 plus most approaches, inc an RCS on the B148 approaching the A127, that still state Dartford Tnl/Tunnel.
Flag signs on A13 Lodge Avenue roundabout in Dagenham (this actually looks post-1991), and coming out of Gale Street in Dagenham on to the A13. I'm sure there's a strange RCS somewhere in Dagenham that mentions Dartford Tnl as well.
There's probably others I can't remember.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

There are plenty of signs around The City of London/Canary Wharf warning of "security cordons", which date back to IRA issues which ended around 2000. No security stops since, but the signage continues, and is quite possibly maintained.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5063966 ... 384!8i8192
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Conekicker wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 23:52
the cheesecake man wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 19:46 I encountered a portable VMS in Chesterfield yesterday warning of long delays on Sheffield Road. I started thinking of an alternative route home , then wondered why I hadn't noticed these delays on the way in. Then I spotted the delays are expected on 18th May. Perhaps they've put the sign up very early!
Was it paging the message - that's so naughty. Just because imported kit can do something, doesn't mean it's legal to do it in the UK.

TSRGD 2016, S16-1-1(8) refers.
I think so, but then it was a while go and paging isn't unusual.
traffic-light-man

Rambo wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:18
traffic-light-man wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:33 Perhaps also classified as 'manky', this one is from some major works the mid 90s and is still living on.
Would this be normal practice to hang 'road works' signs on lamp posts? these days i assume they would just be the portable type.
I would say no, but there are currently several incarnations of this elsewhere in the city, like these and these. I certainly remember it being more commonplace back in the 90s when major works would take place at junction complexes.
Simon
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

These signs helpfully direct tourists to follow the B8082. So which way was that again? Ah, there it is... hope you brought your time machine.