Out of date road signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Jonathan24

Re: Out of date road signs

Post by Jonathan24 »

This one isn't very old but still out of date and now very confusing. Want to go to Newcastle and think you can stay in the middle lane? Nope, you'll end up back in the city centre.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.60216 ... 384!8i8192
Last edited by Jonathan24 on Sun Dec 06, 2020 14:57, edited 2 times in total.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

The RC signs on the A48 from Blakeney to Chepstow still have the distance to the M4 signed, even 24 years after it changed bridges.

As for the old route through Lydney, there have been a couple of the green signs now replaced with white ones, but this one and the one the other side of the junction still remains, as does this RCS on the B4231 from the days when it ran to Redbrook.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

There are still signs in Carlisle city centre that advertise the A74, even though this was replaced by the M6 in 2008 and the A74 now starts on the southern edge of Glasgow.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

and are there any remaining on other locations along old A74 route?
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

The road sign isn't out of date per se. It is clearly a reasonably new example. However the nearby airfield RNAS Blackcap closed in 1958 and i don't believe any aircraft have used it since. The airfield remains, but perhaps this is just a case of keeping signage up to date in case it re opens (unlikely) a bit like those posted about the new level crossing signs put up along the disused Birkenhead dock railway.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

It depends whether the runway is maintained as a safe emergency landing strip.

On the general point, if I were replacing worn out signs approaching a level crossing on a disused (but legally open) railway, I would under no circumstances be wasting money on a backlit sign. External illumination if illumination is required by TSRGD.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Rambo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 20:44 The road sign isn't out of date per se. It is clearly a reasonably new example. However the nearby airfield RNAS Blackcap closed in 1958 and i don't believe any aircraft have used it since. The airfield remains, but perhaps this is just a case of keeping signage up to date in case it re opens (unlikely) a bit like those posted about the new level crossing signs put up along the disused Birkenhead dock railway.
Stretton aka RNAS Blackcap has closed to flying. The main runway looks poorly maintained and has white 'no landing' crosses at each end.

Your sign has a counterpart to the south: https://goo.gl/maps/PGNDMVu2k4fFcVYH7
Between these signs is a private grass strip (needs mowing) which lies East from where Arley Road meets New Road and Sandy Lane. https://goo.gl/maps/118hSLLpcPa1kQzL6
The new signs were probably put up as part of the planning permission for said strip.

There is another grass strip used by microlights just to the south of the airfield, which lies behind the sign here: https://goo.gl/maps/w71XKqAtEB2pnt3Z9
Surely this one also needs a low flying sign?
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Big Nick wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 14:51
Rambo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 20:44 The road sign isn't out of date per se. It is clearly a reasonably new example. However the nearby airfield RNAS Blackcap closed in 1958 and i don't believe any aircraft have used it since. The airfield remains, but perhaps this is just a case of keeping signage up to date in case it re opens (unlikely) a bit like those posted about the new level crossing signs put up along the disused Birkenhead dock railway.
Stretton aka RNAS Blackcap has closed to flying. The main runway looks poorly maintained and has white 'no landing' crosses at each end.

Your sign has a counterpart to the south: https://goo.gl/maps/PGNDMVu2k4fFcVYH7
Between these signs is a private grass strip (needs mowing) which lies East from where Arley Road meets New Road and Sandy Lane. https://goo.gl/maps/118hSLLpcPa1kQzL6
The new signs were probably put up as part of the planning permission for said strip.

There is another grass strip used by microlights just to the south of the airfield, which lies behind the sign here: https://goo.gl/maps/w71XKqAtEB2pnt3Z9
Surely this one also needs a low flying sign?
You're spot on i hadn't noticed the grass strip. I did wonder, seeing as these are quite new signs.
SJAP

Post by SJAP »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:00 On the subject of level crossings, here's a brilliant example from Wirral Council of simply replacing what's already there. In this instance, at some point in the recent past, they replaced the metal signs with internally illuminated retro reflective signs. This level crossing has been disused since at least 1993.
In a similar vein, there’s a LC at Porth-Y-Waen on the Welsh Border which has been tarmacced over, yet the signs remain, along with the rails which are now buried underneath a few inches of Shropshire Council’s finest TarMacadam.
Interestingly the railway is technically still operational and has rights to run over the LC and Shropshire Council had no rights to tarmac over it, meaning that should the (preserved) railway so desire they could require SC to reinstate the crossing and pay for any repairs necessary!

The crossing can be seen here on GSV.
https://goo.gl/maps/PDRus2yQDvZupU7J8
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Even if trains could theoretically run on the line again, it's going to left to the local authority to maintain a usable road surface on the crossing in the meantime. It is going to be more economical to surface over the tracks than to maintain plates between the rails for some unknown period until a railway operator is going to take responsibilty for it again.
In the event of the line being returned to use the level crossing is one part that would likely need full reconstruction anyway, so a bit of asphalt covering it will be fairly inconsequential.
Jonathan24

Post by Jonathan24 »

Just noticed this road marking yesterday:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.59717 ... 384!8i8192

But the road to the right has been closed since 2011 and I suspect the markings have been repainted since then.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Glen wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 15:33 Even if trains could theoretically run on the line again, it's going to left to the local authority to maintain a usable road surface on the crossing in the meantime. It is going to be more economical to surface over the tracks than to maintain plates between the rails for some unknown period until a railway operator is going to take responsibilty for it again.
In the event of the line being returned to use the level crossing is one part that would likely need full reconstruction anyway, so a bit of asphalt covering it will be fairly inconsequential.
It's been surfaced over for 12 years at the very least so, yes, a far more economical option than retaining the rails in situ. Much safer for two wheelers too, given the very acute skew of the crossing.

I would imagine that any proposal to recommission the line would require full automatic barriering which, again with the skew in mind, would probably cost a small fortune.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

SJAP wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 01:46
traffic-light-man wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:00 On the subject of level crossings, here's a brilliant example from Wirral Council of simply replacing what's already there. In this instance, at some point in the recent past, they replaced the metal signs with internally illuminated retro reflective signs. This level crossing has been disused since at least 1993.
In a similar vein, there’s a LC at Porth-Y-Waen on the Welsh Border which has been tarmacced over, yet the signs remain, along with the rails which are now buried underneath a few inches of Shropshire Council’s finest TarMacadam.
Interestingly the railway is technically still operational and has rights to run over the LC and Shropshire Council had no rights to tarmac over it, meaning that should the (preserved) railway so desire they could require SC to reinstate the crossing and pay for any repairs necessary!

whilst this is true, the railway question is required (by their T&WA) to create grade separation of the crossings of the A5 and A483 before they can re-open this line
SJAP

Post by SJAP »

Bfivethousand wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 18:59
Glen wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 15:33 Even if trains could theoretically run on the line again, it's going to left to the local authority to maintain a usable road surface on the crossing in the meantime. It is going to be more economical to surface over the tracks than to maintain plates between the rails for some unknown period until a railway operator is going to take responsibilty for it again.
It's been surfaced over for 12 years at the very least so, yes, a far more economical option than retaining the rails in situ. Much safer for two wheelers too, given the very acute skew of the crossing.

I would imagine that any proposal to recommission the line would require full automatic barriering which, again with the skew in mind, would probably cost a small fortune.
It wasn’t surfaced over when I drove buses over it in 2018.
SJAP

Post by SJAP »

Al__S wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 20:11
SJAP wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 01:46

whilst this is true, the railway question is required (by their T&WA) to create grade separation of the crossings of the A5 and A483 before they can re-open this line
I may be mistaken but I believe the brunt of the cost for that is to fall on HE and the LA.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Danger Site Entrance

but the site and the entrance appear to vanished some time ago!
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

This one along Bridges road, Ellesmere Port is partially out of date as the right turn along Oil sites road to the Stanlow complex has been blocked off for through traffic with security barriers mid way. So you are unable to reach Ince this way. I remember still being able to drive straight through this road in the early 2000's but i can't remember when this change. The sign however was put up in 1991 according to the sticker on the back.
Attachments
IMG_7377.JPG
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

I've put this in Out of date though there is an element of botched-ness about it as well as I wouldn't have thought you would want an arrow on an RCS

Anyway there is nothing wrong with what the sign is telling you about South Wootton but since sometime in the 70s when the A1078 was built this is one of the main routes into King's Lynn. The wording (though not the sign itself) dates back to pre-A1078 days when you were directed into the town via the A1076 further south
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:46 Danger Site Entrance

but the site and the entrance appear to vanished some time ago!
Could it be for those new houses by the Co-op, Rosedale Avenue?
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Big Nick wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 22:41
the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:46 Danger Site Entrance

but the site and the entrance appear to have vanished some time ago!
Could it be for those new houses by the Co-op, Rosedale Avenue?
Possibly but the sign looks much older than the houses.