Inkscape road signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

nowster
Treasurer

Re: Inkscape road signs

Post by nowster »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 09:09The extended form of the name (Llanfairpwll ... gogogoch) is only used for touristic purposes.
Indeed. It was an invention of the railway company.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Good news: got a response so I can create that new warning sign
Bad news: that pdf icon is a picture and not a link so I emailed them to send it again
Attachments
Untitled.png
doc456tor

Post by doc456tor »

I also used Inkscape to create some signs, but in the end the grids and the snapping wasn't working so I now use Affinity Designer. The most difficult bit is lining up the arms on the tangent for the roundabouts or if there was a bend, but AD does snap better to that. Also I had to devise a quite tedious template for Flag Type Signs as well.
Attachments
sogn.PNG
00.PNG
01.PNG
"Would You Like A Jelly Baby?"
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

I always wondered where Lamptown and Axtley were. Now I know - on the Isle of Man :roll: :D
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
doc456tor

Post by doc456tor »

Conekicker wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 17:24 I always wondered where Lamptown and Axtley were. Now I know - on the Isle of Man :roll: :D
Yep, Near Sodor.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

doc456tor wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 17:39
Conekicker wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 17:24 I always wondered where Lamptown and Axtley were. Now I know - on the Isle of Man :roll: :D
Yep, Near Sodor.
Every day is a school day...
:wink:
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

doc456tor wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 15:09 ...or if there was a bend...
You've done well with those two that do have bends though. I'm still unsure about what radii to use on some map type direction signs.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

By the way, quick question. Do these accents on the Scottish characters need to be aligned or is the TSRGD 2016 pdf very accurate? The accents also have various widths but the same height.
Attachments
Untitled.png
doc456tor

Post by doc456tor »

I use the Working drawings for all my letters as the TSRGD PDF has Rougher edges on the letters (see Pic). Also what measurements are you using as I use 1mm = 1sw. Then to find the size of the sign using a formula, (sw/4) * x-height = sign height in mm. (Also use purple for a background so it stand out when using grids and making borders for signs.
Attachments
00.png
doc456tor

Post by doc456tor »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 22:41 By the way, quick question. Do these accents on the Scottish characters need to be aligned or is the TSRGD 2016 pdf very accurate? The accents also have various widths but the same height.
They do look alright otherwise. 👍
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

I've decided to redo my transport alphabets to see if I can make them aby smoother now!
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

doc456tor wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 17:55 I use the Working drawings for all my letters as the TSRGD PDF has Rougher edges on the letters (see Pic)
I'm slightly confused now, you say the TSRGD drawing has rougher edges (which it does when using in Inkscape) but in the picture it is the opposite? Can you link to the document you used in case I've got an outdated version or am using an inferior one.
doc456tor

Post by doc456tor »

The TSRGD drawing is from the TSRGD PDF (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016 ... 362_en.pdf). The Working Drawing is from the actual working drawing PDF (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 01-tm2.pdf). When I say it's smoother I mean the letters have a better rounded nodes.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Well it seemed your photo confused me. I am also using said working drawing, so that's good! One other quick question, where did that Isle of Man tourist symbol come from? I noticed it in the svg signs thing in the wiki, but did you make it yourself or get reference from some Isle of Man TSRGD?
doc456tor

Post by doc456tor »

We don't have a TSRGD as such me mainly borrow the UK's and tweak it as needed (which annoys me, but that rant is for another day!), I used an actual photo of a sign incorporating it and estimated the dimensions.
doc456tor

Post by doc456tor »

doc456tor wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 19:18 such me mainly borrow
I meant "we"... oops
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Let's revive this thread. Tried to redo some of the local signs in Southampton, starting with this roundabout: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.9407774,-1.40694,19z
Critiques welcome.
Attachments
Untitledd.jpg
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

A quandary of mine I'm having now is what determines a route of "traffic importance" eligible for the 4sw status when designing a sign? Nothing is mentioned in the subsequent section or in the TSRGD as far as I can make out. For example, is a route to a hospital an important route?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 01:01 Let's revive this thread. Tried to redo some of the local signs in Southampton, starting with this roundabout: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.9407774,-1.40694,19z
Critiques welcome.
On the right hand pair, have you applied TSM7 Fig 5-6 to the various blocks of text (and the dead-end arm)?
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 23:08 A quandary of mine I'm having now is what determines a route of "traffic importance" eligible for the 4sw status when designing a sign? Nothing is mentioned in the subsequent section or in the TSRGD as far as I can make out. For example, is a route to a hospital an important route?
If it was an A&E one, possibly it would be. You might very well want to give it a bit more prominence on a sign than an arm that "just" led to a village. Horses for courses.

No one is going to whine if a designer made an un-numbered route arm 4 or 2.5 s/w. Well OK, they might on this site... :wink: :roll: