Sign I've not seen before

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

skiddaw05

Sign I've not seen before

Post by skiddaw05 »

Spotted here on the A1123 just after the A141 roundabout at Huntingdon. I can't think of why this would be a particular issue at this location. Any thoughts?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Sign I've not seen before

Post by c2R »

The curved alignment of the road means that your indicator may not self cancel from when you turned left at the roundabout.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Berk

Post by Berk »

There’s an identical sign here.

The issue was that people were turning off the parkway (heading straight on David’s Way) without cancelling their signals, and people leaving Staniland Way (which has 2 supermarkets along it) were wrongly pulling into their path.
nodnirG kraM

Post by nodnirG kraM »

Similar sentiment; different wording in West Sussex.

This time because of traffic turning left at a fork junction whose alignment is pretty much a straight line.
FtoE

Post by FtoE »

Conversely there are signs by the Glen Nevis mini-roundabout on the A82 in Ft William saying “Please indicate your direction”. I’m not sure how common these are. None of the other junctions in the town have them (and I’m not sure how effective they are, not much it seems)
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

FtoE wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:32Conversely there are signs by the Glen Nevis mini-roundabout on the A82 in Ft William saying “Please indicate your direction”. I’m not sure how common these are. None of the other junctions in the town have them (and I’m not sure how effective they are, not much it seems)
Which is particularly difficult when you're going straight on!
Very Short Username

Post by Very Short Username »

Got this one after a roundabout just off the M9 that the road doesn't bend enough for indicators to self cancel. People were pulling out of the garden centre on the left into traffic continuing straight on in the belief they were turning.

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.9965268 ... 312!8i6656
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Stevie D wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:36
FtoE wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:32Conversely there are signs by the Glen Nevis mini-roundabout on the A82 in Ft William saying “Please indicate your direction”. I’m not sure how common these are. None of the other junctions in the town have them (and I’m not sure how effective they are, not much it seems)
Not at all! No indicators indicates straight on.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Big L wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 16:26
Stevie D wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:36
Not at all! No indicators indicates straight on.
Cancel left turn indicator unless turning.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
nodnirG kraM

Post by nodnirG kraM »

Very Short Username wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 15:16 Got this one after a roundabout just off the M9 that the road doesn't bend enough for indicators to self cancel. People were pulling out of the garden centre on the left into traffic continuing straight on in the belief they were turning.

Good god "manoeuvre" is a stupid word ....
Berk

Post by Berk »

nodnirG kraM wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 00:30
Very Short Username wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 15:16 Got this one after a roundabout just off the M9 that the road doesn't bend enough for indicators to self cancel. People were pulling out of the garden centre on the left into traffic continuing straight on in the belief they were turning.

Good god "manoeuvre" is a stupid word ....
To be fair, some people do silly things like spend 5 mins doing a turn in the road... :roll:
TS

Post by TS »

FtoE wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:32 Conversely there are signs by the Glen Nevis mini-roundabout on the A82 in Ft William saying “Please indicate your direction”. I’m not sure how common these are. None of the other junctions in the town have them (and I’m not sure how effective they are, not much it seems)
I wish they were used more, at junctions where it's particularly beneficial.

Such as where there is a staggered junction in which people may be in either lane to turn left at the first junction. I hate needlessly waiting for traffic here when the pictured black car is actually turning left and then, behind us, right.