Strange overhead aspects - A55 Holyhead

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DB617

Strange overhead aspects - A55 Holyhead

Post by DB617 »

Apologies if these have been seen before, but I've just noticed these strange overhead aspects on GSV on the North Wales Expressway just before Holyhead.

See here

Looks only large enough to display lane controls, but I can't see why they'd be needed. They appear to be paired with the prismatic signs slightly further up the road - perhaps related to the Ireland ferries?
nowster
Treasurer

Re: Strange overhead aspects - A55 Holyhead

Post by nowster »

Last time I went that way (February), they weren't there any more.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Yes, they were lane control signals, presumably for an Operation Stack-type event such as bad weather causing a prolonged suspension of ferry traffic to Dublin.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

I see, that makes sense. I must have missed that sign when I was searching up and down for a clue. The signals look quite strange compared to the ones I've seen about, but then I suppose most applications of the lane open/closed signs were pretty much bespoke builds as they aren't quite common, with examples I can think of on the A38(M), several highway tunnels and these almost always looking slightly different to each other.

I wonder, then, if those signals ever saw any use, indeed whether they still worked at the time they were removed.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I seem to recall, perhaps as far back as when the 'new' road opened, they were showing green arrows over both lanes as a resting state.
Simon