Legality of incorrect speed limit signs?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Patrick Harper

Re: Legality of incorrect speed limit signs?

Post by Patrick Harper »

This is the pair of signs I have in mind: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.7594214 ... 384!8i8192
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Skye wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 21:01 This is the pair of signs I have in mind: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.7594214 ... 384!8i8192
Borderline, I'd say, the figures look too big and the font is the wrong weight, but they're paired up as per normal.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
jervi

Post by jervi »

nodnirG kraM wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 00:25 Interesting that you should use Brighton as this example
NGL, the worst signage I've seen from a council is Brighton and Hove. They have incorrectly used road signs all over the place, unclear lane destinations, unclear forbidden turns and use ambiguity as a "Safety Measure". Unless you are a local, you will have to be changing lanes and going around one way systems for a while. For example, just look further down the A259 along the centre of the sea front, tell me where it is two lanes, where it is one and where does one merge.
Also half of their signage says Town Centre, and the other half say City Centre, so they don't really know what they are.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Conekicker wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 14:37...and as the allowed limits are in 10s then something with a 5 in it wouldn't be correct
How about 50? :lol:
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I once used the location of these signs to give a family member the evidence to successfully argue a PCN issued not long after it was changed from NSL to 30. Not sure if they've been re-located these days as it's been quite a while since I had need to use this route. I also don't recall the surface roundel or VAS being there at the time. In the interest of full context, the ticket was issued for 39 in a 30. Genuine driver error, however I felt that the LA needed to make a bit more of an attempt at this one...

It's hard to tell from GSV, but their location makes them invisible from the give way line, as one is hidden directly behind the weight limit sign, and the other is actually on the right of you by the time you've assumed the left turn position.

Here's the front-on view.
Simon
Britain

Post by Britain »

traffic-light-man wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:52 I once used the location of these signs to give a family member the evidence to successfully argue a PCN issued not long after it was changed from NSL to 30. Not sure if they've been re-located these days as it's been quite a while since I had need to use this route. I also don't recall the surface roundel or VAS being there at the time. In the interest of full context, the ticket was issued for 39 in a 30. Genuine driver error, however I felt that the LA needed to make a bit more of an attempt at this one...

It's hard to tell from GSV, but their location makes them invisible from the give way line, as one is hidden directly behind the weight limit sign, and the other is actually on the right of you by the time you've assumed the left turn position.

Here's the front-on view.
I've never understood not positioning speed limit signs in line with each other. Surely that makes a gap in the middle that's both 30 and 60 which can't be right. The location of that NSL sign opposite the junction could also be confused as applying to the road it's opposite, since you have to pass the NSL sign in order to turn into the road.

What feedback did the court/authority give your family member in regards to your defence?
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I'm not that up-to-date with signs following the relaxation in the regs, but I believe it used to be that they did indeed have to be directly opposite each other.

Given the speed limit was new (at the time) from NSL, and the issues pointed out, I believe the case was dropped by the road safety partnership. It clearly wasn't enough to make them question the location of the signs, however.
Simon