New Small Mammal (hedgehog) Sign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A303Chris

New Small Mammal (hedgehog) Sign

Post by A303Chris »

It's all on here , a new sign released to warn drivers of small mammals which may cause an accident and to help to reduce the decline in animal numbers.

It says it covers the size of animals not represented by the toad sign or the deer sign.

However I do believe the decline in hedgehogs is not down to them all being hit by vehicles
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Glen
Social Media Admin

Re: New Small Mammal (hedgehog) Sign

Post by Glen »

A symbol for squirrels would be far more useful, as that is a much more frequently needed warning than hedgehogs and is currently done with the other danger sign.

Although, for grey squirrels it should be an instruction to run them over.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Provided that the sign isn't overused, I think that it is a good thing - clearly there are areas where there are higher instances of roadkill, such as rural B roads near primary distributors.

I agree that not all the decline is through roadkill - I suspect lots of housing is built without the same consideration for wildlife and habitats as new road schemes give, for instance - some of the newer developments near me appear to simply level large plots of land, shredding anything that was on the site before (save for the odd tree or hedge that was subject to a preservation order). More care I think needs to be taken to allow sustainable development while at the same time preserving habitat.

It would also be good if road renewal schemes could take into account small mammal (and other wildlife) preservation through the use of more green bridges over major schemes - but also in terms of investment in smaller realignments to improve road safety and inclusion of other animal crossing points.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Oh, yuk! Far too much fine detail in that drawing. Kinnear and Calvert would be most disappointed.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

nowster wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:10 Oh, yuk! Far too much fine detail in that drawing. Kinnear and Calvert would be most disappointed.
I agree on the design itself, yes. Although I suppose that it was to try and stop it looking too much like a rat, which might have the opposite effect to the one intended ;)
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

nowster wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:10 Oh, yuk! Far too much fine detail in that drawing. Kinnear and Calvert would be most disappointed.
Yes, and the result is that from a distance it just looks like a blob.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It's a fiddly symbol, but for me the real answer is to ensure new roads have suitable wildlife mitigation.

Harder for old roads, obviously, but maybe if people stopped bombing down rural roads after dark at 60+ (given that's well out of safe stopping distance due to headlamp coverage) they might see animals sooner thus not hitting them.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Tom H

Post by Tom H »

While any improvement to the safety of endangered wildlife is a good thing, driver behaviour in reaction to these signs could cause other issues.

In my first ever driving lesson, while on a rural side road practicing how to switch between gears, I encountered a pheasant crossing the road. I was in lower gears at the time shifting down, so my instructor told me to stop and allow the pheasant to cross. He then went on to advise me that if this was to occur in a full speed situation, the safest course of action would be to just hit the animal, as suddenly braking or swerving could cause potentially more hazardous situations. Recently, there was a fatality of a young girl from my old sixth form who swerved to avoid a pheasant and lost control of the vehicle, colliding with oncoming traffic. This incident has pretty much now immortalised that advice into my brain.

While pheasants don't particularly fit the criteria of "small mammals" or being particularly endangered, the principles are basically the same. These warning signs may initiate more frequent sharp braking or other unpredictable behaviours in unnecessary situations, especially among the more nervous/die-hard wildlife loving road users.

I suppose with the installation of these warning signs, other road users may be more vigilant of sudden braking etc. if wildlife is encountered, and thus could be more prepared to take avoiding action to prevent collisions. With this considered, the signs are probably a decent way of increasing overall safety of both road users and wildlife.

However, the ultimate safest option is going to be infrastructure such as green bridges or wildlife underpasses. If only money were no object...
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 14:06
Without doing a full "Sonic" job, surely the spines could have been more stylised so as to be obvious at a distance?
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Should have used a squirrel instead of a hedgehog; much more of a distinctive shape on a sign.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 16:16 Should have used a squirrel instead of a hedgehog; much more of a distinctive shape on a sign.
The problem with a squirrel sign is it doesn't convey the need appropriately; the Caution Red Squirrels makes sense as we want to preserve them; where as when it comes to Grey's population decline is welcomed.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 16:16 Should have used a squirrel instead of a hedgehog; much more of a distinctive shape on a sign.
I was thinking the same thing, especially that the sign shows the hedgehog as just a blob with small spikes, which could be lost over time. Something like a squirrel or a rabbit I would say is more appropriate due to its distinctive shape, however the latter may give the indication to the driver that it would be a seasonal warning.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

A fox would be quite distinctive. Mind you, around here, a cat would be the best choice.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 14:06
I second that. We have deer and duck signs so why not hedgehogs but the design could be much better.
rachandsarai

Post by rachandsarai »

Glen wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:58 A symbol for squirrels would be far more useful, as that is a much more frequently needed warning than hedgehogs and is currently done with the other danger sign.

Although, for grey squirrels it should be an instruction to run them over.
That would be like deer, cows and sheep have there animal symbols. Otters have the caution sign as well.
Rachel Harper, A Scottish Vehicle Spotter and Road enthusiast in Scotland.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Two emails to the DfT later...

NP 551.3 Small wild animals likely to be in road ahead

However they didn't send me the associated symbol (S 67) even though I asked for it too.
avtur

Post by avtur »

Is this an official road sign?

I know it's not a small mammal, I'm also intrigued as to what is on the reverse of the sign. :wink:
Attachments
frog sign.JPG
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Yes, although the "f" should be upper case. The other side will be blank, given that the sign is supposed to be seasonal.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

avtur wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 20:05 Is this an official road sign?

I know it's not a small mammal, I'm also intrigued as to what is on the reverse of the sign. :wink:
There's only a seasonal risk of frogs/toads moving/migrating.
Lifelong motorhead
avtur

Post by avtur »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 20:25
avtur wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 20:05 Is this an official road sign?

There's only a seasonal risk of frogs/toads moving/migrating.

The sign is on 'Hundred Acre Lane' I was half wondering if there was a warning about 'Tiggers' on the other side :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: