Pair of solid lines with dashes between them? (A1014)

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

crb11

Pair of solid lines with dashes between them? (A1014)

Post by crb11 »

The A1014 heading east from the A13 has acquired some odd markings since I was last there. It is a D2, and the dividing line between the carriageway has three lines: solid on the two outer ones, and short dashes between them. (It's spaced as three separate lines, or in other words the two solid lines are twice as far apart as they'd be if you just had those two.) It's on the eastbound carriageway for the first mile (to the big roundabout) but not on the westbound here at least.

Does this mean anything, or is it a bodge? I can't see any justification for prohibiting lane changes on this stretch, except perhaps right at the A13 end where there's an immediate junction.
[real name Colin]
skiddaw05

Re: Pair of solid lines with dashes between them? (A1014)

Post by skiddaw05 »

The wider gap between the solid lines could be because whoever put them in didn't bother to remove the existing dashed line, which means bodge is exactly the right word to use. I'm assuming the dashed line wasn't renewed as well and they're just waiting for them to wear away. Out of interest have any road studs been put in - I believe they are required for no overtaking lines even if there are street lights present (I expect not). All in all it sounds like someone should be hanging their head in shame.
(BTW have you got any pictures?)
Britain

Post by Britain »

It sounds like a bodge but the fact that they're spaced to accommodate the dashed middle line would make you think they did it on purpose. I've never seen or heard of lines like this and I can't imagine what they would be for unless they just wanted to keep the two lanes of traffic further apart from each other, but surely they wouldn't used dashed lines in the middle for this effect (perhaps to save money?).

Streetview and Google Maps doesn't seem to show this at all so it must be recent. You could try emailing the authority in charge of that area and asking the question. Do you happen to have any pictures or dashcam footage of the lines for us to see?
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.
crb11

Post by crb11 »

Unfortunately no pictures - I'd have posted one if I had. I don't recall there being any road studs.

I don't know if we have anyone who lives locally who can get some visuals. (I go that way to visit my step-son and his family, but not planning another trip for a couple of months.)
[real name Colin]
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

crb11 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 21:54 The A1014 heading east from the A13 has acquired some odd markings since I was last there. It is a D2, and the dividing line between the carriageway has three lines: solid on the two outer ones, and short dashes between them. (It's spaced as three separate lines, or in other words the two solid lines are twice as far apart as they'd be if you just had those two.) It's on the eastbound carriageway for the first mile (to the big roundabout) but not on the westbound here at least.
Do you mean between the carriageway, as if this is the case I can't see how the westbound and eastbound can be different. GSV shows armco on this stretch. I guess you mean between the lanes.

GSV does show similar markings (on some views) from your big roundabout down towards "London Gateway Port" which looks just like narrow hatching to keep vehicles in the separate lanes. Maybe they've now extended this up to the A13 roundabout if they've had problems with big lorries keeping in lane.
Let it snow.
crb11

Post by crb11 »

Alderpoint wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 23:22 Do you mean between the carriageway, as if this is the case I can't see how the westbound and eastbound can be different. GSV shows armco on this stretch. I guess you mean between the lanes.
Yes - between the lanes on the eastbound carriageway. Apologies for the confusion.
[real name Colin]
Britain

Post by Britain »

crb11 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 21:04
Alderpoint wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 23:22 Do you mean between the carriageway, as if this is the case I can't see how the westbound and eastbound can be different. GSV shows armco on this stretch. I guess you mean between the lanes.
Yes - between the lanes on the eastbound carriageway. Apologies for the confusion.
It looks like they're just lane dividers to me, to keep the traffic further apart.
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.
crb11

Post by crb11 »

I was down there again yesterday, and there are now some explanatory signs up: "use both lanes: the double white lines are there only for contraflow use". It leaves open the question of why this particular stretch of road needs permanent contraflow markings - my guess would that it's something to do with needing to get large and slow loads to the nearby port.
[real name Colin]
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

crb11 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 09:34 I was down there again yesterday, and there are now some explanatory signs up: "use both lanes: the double white lines are there only for contraflow use". It leaves open the question of why this particular stretch of road needs permanent contraflow markings - my guess would that it's something to do with needing to get large and slow loads to the nearby port.
The old section of the Manor Way is due to be resurfaced as part of obligations of the port development. How it is achieved is a logistical headache with the current traffic levels. I guess contraflow is the chosen way forward.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

GSV isn't showing anything any more but it does have the new roads around London Gateway. Can't you tell there's money in that project, look at all the street furniture! It's all in a very smart shade of blue and the streetlighting is actually more than the usual steel post with post-top cheap crap.

It looks remarkably French actually.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Britain

Post by Britain »

crb11 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 09:34 I was down there again yesterday, and there are now some explanatory signs up: "use both lanes: the double white lines are there only for contraflow use". It leaves open the question of why this particular stretch of road needs permanent contraflow markings - my guess would that it's something to do with needing to get large and slow loads to the nearby port.
Nab some pictures for us when you're next there, of the lines and the new signs. I can't see it on GSV so it'd be interesting to see.
crb11

Post by crb11 »

Britain wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 01:29
Nab some pictures for us when you're next there, of the lines and the new signs. I can't see it on GSV so it'd be interesting to see.
I'll see what I can do, but I'd need to get a dashcam. I'm not aware of anywhere you could stop to take photos, and my wife thinks I'm strange enough already...
[real name Colin]