Highways England multilingual roadworks signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Conekicker

Re: Highways England multilingual roadworks signs

Post by Conekicker »

RichardA35 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:36 So getting back to the subject, rather than revealing our prejudices, the non prescribed sign authorisations list has been updated to last Friday with no entry for these messages.
Authorisations tend not to be uploaded as soon as they are made, there's often a gap of a few days. I would strongly advise against holding one's breath for the multi-lingual legends to be uploaded though.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I have seen examples of pVMS being used inappropriately in the past- some of which have been seen here. Nonetheless, I think this is a really positive and original use and I look forward to seeing the success of the trial.

Incidentally, I met Jobert Fermilan (chap pictured in the article) a while back. A really lovely chap.
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Conekicker wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 17:16
RichardA35 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:36 So getting back to the subject, rather than revealing our prejudices, the non prescribed sign authorisations list has been updated to last Friday with no entry for these messages.
Authorisations tend not to be uploaded as soon as they are made, there's often a gap of a few days. I would strongly advise against holding one's breath for the multi-lingual legends to be uploaded though.
My lungs burst, so I emailed HAIL (or HEIL?) earlier today to see what authorisation exists..
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

It's the CCC - Customer Contact Centre.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

I wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 17:24 My lungs burst, so I emailed HAIL (or HEIL?) earlier today to see what authorisation exists..
It would appear from the response I received that:
a) the trial was for a limited time and has ceased
b) there are no further plans to use the signs elsewhere.
c) currently there are no authorisations for the legends.

I reckon someone has had an interview with their boss with no tea and certainly no biscuits.....
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Sometimes our roads get rather over-verbose. A good example is this sign that has its message in both English and Welsh. Surely an alternative would have been to post 12 tonne prohibition sign (which would have been international)?
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Vierwielen wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 22:50 Sometimes our roads get rather over-verbose. A good example is this sign that has its message in both English and Welsh. Surely an alternative would have been to post 12 tonne prohibition sign (which would have been international)?
The blue "unsuitable for..." sign is not a prohibition. You'd be daft to ignore it but you can legally drive an HGV or a coach down that lane.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I'm more concerned with the unnecessary apostrophe.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Matthew wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 08:30 I'm more concerned with the unnecessary apostrophe.
It used to be the convention that all-caps abbreviations were pluralised with 's. That may have changed, of course.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Vierwielen wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 22:50 Sometimes our roads get rather over-verbose. A good example is this sign that has its message in both English and Welsh. Surely an alternative would have been to post 12 tonne prohibition sign (which would have been international)?
The numerals can be altered to whatever you want nowadays, however it would be more appropriate to use a more conventional (for the UK) limit for enforcement purposes.

As what you suggest would be an environmental (non-structural) restriction, there would no doubt be an exception plate underneath it. Bilingual, of course.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 08:44
Matthew wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 08:30 I'm more concerned with the unnecessary apostrophe.
It used to be the convention that all-caps abbreviations were pluralised with 's. That may have changed, of course.
The convention in UK English is pluralisation is 's' alone. So HGVs, PSVs, MPs. To keep the distinction from HGV's etc.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

exiled wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 20:48
Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 08:44
The convention in UK English is pluralisation is 's' alone. So HGVs, PSVs, MPs. To keep the distinction from HGV's etc.
It is for regular words. And now also for abbreviations. But it was not always so for abbreviations, that's all.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

One of the problems with foreign language road signs is that we might end up with smething like this or this!
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Vierwielen wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:31 One of the problems with foreign language road signs is that we might end up with smething like this or this!
They're not foreign languages for the place they were erected, though.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 20:50
exiled wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 20:48
Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 08:44 It used to be the convention that all-caps abbreviations were pluralised with 's. That may have changed, of course.
It is for regular words. And now also for abbreviations. But it was not always so for abbreviations, that's all.
I was certainly taught to use an apostrophe with abbreviations. My son pulled me up on it once in his teens and insisted was no longer the case, which would be at least fifteen years ago, maybe nearer twenty.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

The TSRGD says "Unsuitable for HGVs".

So that's that. :P :lol:
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

nowster wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:37
Vierwielen wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:31 One of the problems with foreign language road signs is that we might end up with smething like this or this!
Had you read the linked artcile, you would have seen that "No entry for heavy goods vehicles. Residential site only" was translated into the Welsh equivalent of "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated".
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Vierwielen wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 18:10
Had you read the linked artcile, you would have seen that "No entry for heavy goods vehicles. Residential site only" was translated into the Welsh equivalent of "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated".
Ond does neb yn gwybod!
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

nowster wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 18:13
Vierwielen wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 18:10
Ond does neb yn gwybod!
Which, for the benefit of those who do not know about Google Translate (or who do not read Welsh), this means "But nobody knows"
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

It's actually a reference to a popular kid's book about a little fat fly which lived behind the clock on a mantlepiece.