Erskine Bridge phone boxes Listed

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

David D Miller

Erskine Bridge phone boxes Listed

Post by David D Miller »

Following on from the Erskine Bridge being listed, the four iconic red K8 phone boxes, two pairs at either end of the bridge, have also now been listed.

North Pair: Streetview - Listing
South Pair: Streetview - Listing
Ronnie

Re: Erskine Bridge phone boxes Listed

Post by Ronnie »

I hate the modern overuse of the word ‘iconic’. In what possible way are four dilapidated phoneboxes iconic?
vlad

Post by vlad »

Do they actually still have working telephones in them?

If not then "icon" is obviously used in the "symbol or representation" meaning: they look like phone boxes but aren't. :stir:
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Phones in them last weekend but didn't pick up the receiver to see, the foot and cycleway set up is diabolical.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

If you read the listing, it describes why they've beemed worthy of this, and also says that they're maintained in special working order for a good reason.
Berk

Post by Berk »

K8’s look damned ugly, always thought so. They could at least spend some money on restoring them properly if they’re deemed to be so essential (for that couple of calls a year).
David D Miller

Post by David D Miller »

Berk wrote:K8’s look damned ugly, always thought so. They could at least spend some money on restoring them properly if they’re deemed to be so essential (for that couple of calls a year).
I live near another bridge, which doesn't have phone boxes. It's seems like it's a couple of times a _week_ that it's closed for "a police incident".

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Listing has nothing to do with function, it's a preservation initiator, open reach will now be legally bound to Maintain them in suitable condition unless they can find a wiggle out.

The reasoning is they're 4 of 8 left in Scotland.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk