In ememrgency (or if you wanna chat) phone signalman.

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A13- Beckton Exit

In ememrgency (or if you wanna chat) phone signalman.

Post by A13- Beckton Exit »

Hi folks, as this is my first post i just want to say sorry if this is in the wrong place or there is a better way/place to post this, (please let me know).

I just wondered if anyone knew anything about this sign, it is the only piece of my collection, I have had it for years, all I know is that it is older than me (over 20 years old), as a kid I always assumed this sign was from a private (most likely farm) crossing, growing up near to an AHB level crossing I was used to the blue backed signs with the 'Risk of Grounding' warning sign and this was long before I had any idea what signs pre 2000 looked like, I just knew it was old from the use of Signalman as opposed to Signaller
ICE.jpg

Anyway to cut a long post short does anybody have any idea where this sign could have been placed (level crossing type), any idea of timescale or rarity of this sign? I've done a tad bit of research but variations on signs like these are common, Has anyone ever driven past one on an actual road or track?

(Ta folks, just wanted to say that this group looks ace :D )
Last edited by A13- Beckton Exit on Mon Sep 16, 2019 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
Redruth, not so nice so the government decided to bypass it twice.
Nathan_A_RF

Re: In ememrgency (or if you wanna chat) phone signalman.

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Looks to be a somewhat rare one as it is quite old. It can be seen here at a pre-Hixon AHB (Hixon itself in this case). Would be interesting to know where it came from. I've got a few signs from bootsales and the biggest happens to be one from Kenardington AHBC in Kent. Do you have any similar in your collection?
A13- Beckton Exit

I was beginning to think it was pre-Hixon, not very reflective at all, no where near modern standards. I'm not sure where it came from but i imagine it was either e-bay or a bootsale but it was a gift from years ago, this is the only actual road sign I have, I have seen images of variations but these look newer and are usually much shorter in style "In emergency telephone signalman" (lots of railway ones and replicas in the loft).
A13- Beckton Exit

Featuring the defuct AHB warning triangle and all! Thanks so much for the link. It's cool to think this was probably part of the first wave of AHBs. (Even if NR has upgraded my local AHB :| ).
OLD GIT

Post by OLD GIT »

In normal circumstances ( from my rail training) ,you get in contact with signalbox( number will be on a lot of places close to any access gate to track) etc and ask if the person is the signaller( not signal man) . If an emergency , you FIRST state that this is an EMERGENCY call. First thing you do is to give signaller your contact number ( in case contact lost). Next ,location( any signal close to you/bridge number, track mile marker). Then problem.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

In the case of an LC phone, the signaller will automatically know which one you are calling from - they might verify back to you.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

OLD GIT wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 00:15 In normal circumstances ( from my rail training) ,you get in contact with signalbox( number will be on a lot of places close to any access gate to track) etc and ask if the person is the signaller( not signal man) . If an emergency , you FIRST state that this is an EMERGENCY call. First thing you do is to give signaller your contact number ( in case contact lost). Next ,location( any signal close to you/bridge number, track mile marker). Then problem.
See example here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.15734 ... authuser=0

They also have CCTV so give them a wave :)
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

KeithW wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 20:08 See example here
Shameless Plug :D
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

The first reference to this sign that I can remember was in the 1968 edition of the Highway Code.

http://normandyhistorians.co.uk/hwc/1968hwc/p17.html
A13- Beckton Exit

PhilC wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 21:52 The first reference to this sign that I can remember was in the 1968 edition of the Highway Code.

http://normandyhistorians.co.uk/hwc/1968hwc/p17.html
Interesting to see the 'another train is coming' sign is worded quite similar now and then, even with the existance of the 'another train' light signal at some crossings inbetween

I find it strange these lights are practically ancient technology in the UK but elsewhere they are being more widely adopted.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I remember an accident at the level crossing in Hixon, Staffordshire in the late 1960s. A low-loader carrying a transformer moved onto the crossing. When it was part of the way across the lights started to flash and the barriers dropped. Before it had a chance to clear the crossing the train arrived and hit the low-loader. I think the signs were changed shortly after this to emphasise the need to telephone the signalman before crossing with abnormal loads.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

PhilC wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:55 I remember an accident at the level crossing in Hixon, Staffordshire in the late 1960s. A low-loader carrying a transformer moved onto the crossing. When it was part of the way across the lights started to flash and the barriers dropped. Before it had a chance to clear the crossing the train arrived and hit the low-loader. I think the signs were changed shortly after this to emphasise the need to telephone the signalman before crossing with abnormal loads.
Correct - it was also decided the "two nails" sign (it never looked like barriers and was never officially in the TSRGD) was rubbish and it was replaced by the standard gate sign. This is when the blue information signs in advance were provided as well.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Together with:
  • the amber light under the wigwags
  • The red balls on the advance sign being replaced by AUTOMATIC BARRIERS
  • The neon "Another Train Coming" sign on double lines
As we know, the neon sign was replaced by a fixed sign, but the ATC signal lived on as a 200mm light at automatic open crossings. What goes around comes around, with the AUTOMATIC BARRIERS legend being replaced by a representation of the red and amber signals, this time on a black backing board so its meaning was more obvious than the 1960s sign.

The Irish sign with wigwags and train passing (see bothar's profile pic) has a lot going for it, but it's a bit too busy.