Weird signal head

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Skipsy

Weird signal head

Post by Skipsy »

First post,
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.52302 ... 384!8i8192
what is up with these 2 unused panels on the signals? And I also noticed the no right turn panel even though there is nothing to turn right into?
Anyone got any ideas? (I already tried the go back in time feature and it looks like them blank panels have been there a while, and the bottom one used to be square)
DavidBrown

Re: Weird signal head

Post by DavidBrown »

I'd hazard the guess that the blank panels are illuminated when the gates into Regent's Park are closed to show a no left turn and supplementary message. Only a guess though, so may be completely wrong!

As for the no right turn, it gets weirder as immediately before the signals there's now an advance sign warning of the Congestion Charge and ULEZ when turning right - except that not only are you not allowed to turn right, but like you say it doesn't even exist! How utterly bizarre.
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

If you move the slider on Google back in time, the signs used to have panels in them which look like they could light up. The top panel was round and the bottom one square, both appear white when not lit, may help someone who know the area what they may have been.

Vince
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Skipsy wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 23:10 First post,
what is up with these 2 unused panels on the signals? And I also noticed the no right turn panel even though there is nothing to turn right into?
Anyone got any ideas? (I already tried the go back in time feature and it looks like them blank panels have been there a while, and the bottom one used to be square)
Welcome to SABRE!

The panels light up a no left turn sign and an exception plate (possibly "except cycles") - in several places in central London, turn restrictions only apply at certain times of day and are indicated by light-up signs like these.

The no right turn restriction is probably for the private access to the Princess Grace Hospital, which people are likely to try to reach from here.
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 13:19
Skipsy wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 23:10 First post,
Welcome to SABRE!

The panels light up a no left turn sign and an exception plate (possibly "except cycles") - in several places in central London, turn restrictions only apply at certain times of day and are indicated by light-up signs like these.

The no right turn restriction is probably for the private access to the Princess Grace Hospital, which people are likely to try to reach from here.
Makes sense thanks for the explanation :)
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

Adding on, these ones light up a no right turn and except buses at 7-10am 4-7pm mon-sat (because the bus lane turning right is enforced at these times): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.41557 ... 384!8i8192
Anyone know of any more examples? Is this the shortest bus lane in the UK?
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

The Bitterne Gating System in Southampton is an elaborate traffic management system created out of a series of traffic lights with part-time turning restrictions.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham

From the SABRE Wiki: Bitterne Gating System :

The Bitterne Gating System is an elaborate traffic signal set-up which was installed over a three-mile section of the A3024 in Southampton in 1974.

The problem it had to tackle was that the two main routes into Southampton from the east: the A3024 Bursledon Road from Windover and the A334 Thornhill Park Road from Hedge End. These would merge in Bitterne and then negotiate two railway bridges and one river crossing.

... Read More
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

DavidBrown wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 06:45 I'd hazard the guess that the blank panels are illuminated when the gates into Regent's Park are closed to show a no left turn and supplementary message. Only a guess though, so may be completely wrong!

As for the no right turn, it gets weirder as immediately before the signals there's now an advance sign warning of the Congestion Charge and ULEZ when turning right - except that not only are you not allowed to turn right, but like you say it doesn't even exist! How utterly bizarre.
You are correct that the message lights up when the road into Regents Park is closed every evening; if you go along Marylebone Road after midnight you will see them working.

I always believed the No Right Turn is to stop people thinking they can turn right there; there is a central reserve gap. The signal has to show Green Ball rather than ahead/left arrows, as the left turn is dependent on whether the park keeper has closed the gates or not; Left Green Arrow when the gates are closed, or Ahead Only when the gates are still open, would be confusing.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Johnathan404 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 19:54 The Bitterne Gating System in Southampton is an elaborate traffic management system created out of a series of traffic lights with part-time turning restrictions.
I note you wrote the article a year ago. If the equipment is (up to) 45 years old, how does it still remain functional??

Surely the signalling systems have been replaced at least once since?? Even if it mirrors the existing set up.

From the SABRE Wiki: Bitterne Gating System :

The Bitterne Gating System is an elaborate traffic signal set-up which was installed over a three-mile section of the A3024 in Southampton in 1974.

The problem it had to tackle was that the two main routes into Southampton from the east: the A3024 Bursledon Road from Windover and the A334 Thornhill Park Road from Hedge End. These would merge in Bitterne and then negotiate two railway bridges and one river crossing.

... Read More