Too many traffic lights here?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Post Reply
User avatar
Big Nick
Member
Posts: 2866
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 08:27
Location: Epping, Essex

Too many traffic lights here?

Post by Big Nick » Sun Oct 06, 2019 23:44

I came down the A414 in Harlow tonight past this new business unit development. All I could see was green traffic lights - 10 of them. It's the same in the other direction. I get the need for the high ones, the road is uphill here but still.... :?
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.7753021 ... 312!8i6656

User avatar
Viator
SABRE Wiki admin
Posts: 1752
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 19:06
Location: Llan-giwg

Re: Too many traffic lights here?

Post by Viator » Mon Oct 07, 2019 03:33

As you get closer you'll notice there are actually 11 signal heads.

User avatar
the cheesecake man
Member
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 13:21
Location: Sheffield

Re: Too many traffic lights here?

Post by the cheesecake man » Mon Oct 07, 2019 13:15

You've never been to Sheffield then? We have far too many as discussed in another thread.

This junction appears at first to be a straight forward junction of two roads but there's still over thirty traffic light heads!

FlyingBolt
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 09:32

Re: Too many traffic lights here?

Post by FlyingBolt » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:01

the cheesecake man wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 13:15
You've never been to Sheffield then? We have far too many as discussed in another thread.

This junction appears at first to be a straight forward junction of two roads but there's still over thirty traffic light heads!
I like the signs on the traffic light poles "If signals off, stop - Proceed with caution". Are these part time signals or just frequent power outages?

User avatar
the cheesecake man
Member
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 13:21
Location: Sheffield

Re: Too many traffic lights here?

Post by the cheesecake man » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:23

FlyingBolt wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:01
the cheesecake man wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 13:15
You've never been to Sheffield then? We have far too many as discussed in another thread.

This junction appears at first to be a straight forward junction of two roads but there's still over thirty traffic light heads!
I like the signs on the traffic light poles "If signals off, stop - Proceed with caution". Are these part time signals or just frequent power outages?
They're just a precaution against power cuts. Fortunately I've never encountered one there; I'd be terrified. Perhaps the council installed these unusual signs because they thought that too.

jervi
Member
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 16:29
Location: Haywards Heath

Re: Too many traffic lights here?

Post by jervi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 15:17

So I was sitting in the drivethu at maccies here
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.99205 ... 312!8i6656
and saw the vast amount of electrical boxes to control the lights at this rather high-throughput crossroads and thought to myself, one of those has to be a backup electricity supply. Then i thought of those signs in Sheffield (as linked to above) and wondered whether they would have a back-up electricity supply too, and if so would they really need to have those stop and processed with caution signs.
Also, it looks like the lights were re-done here in 2015/2016 since the large box isn't there before sep 2015
Anyone want to count the amount of signal heads here? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.99263 ... 312!8i6656

A Challenge
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 08:00

Re: Too many traffic lights here?

Post by A Challenge » Sun Oct 20, 2019 18:53

jervi wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 15:17
Anyone want to count the amount of signal heads here? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.99263 ... 312!8i6656
17! Even if that is controlling three different movements that's excessive!

That sign about the signals not working appears to be unique to that junction, though no doubt I'll be proved wrong.

User avatar
Johnathan404
Member
Posts: 11293
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 16:54
Location: Dublin / Portsmouth
Contact:

Re: Too many traffic lights here?

Post by Johnathan404 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 19:48

The A24 is a fast road with a number of dangerous junctions so I can see why the formula "more = better" was applied, especially with two stoplines for through traffic and separate right turns.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham

fras
Member
Posts: 1837
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 18:34

Re: Too many traffic lights here?

Post by fras » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:54

There is similar lunacy here on the A444 going out of Coventry.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.44836 ... 6656?hl=en

Just count up the number of signal heads on this roundabout !

User avatar
the cheesecake man
Member
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 13:21
Location: Sheffield

Re: Too many traffic lights here?

Post by the cheesecake man » Mon Oct 21, 2019 13:26

jervi wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 15:17
Anyone want to count the amount of signal heads here? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.99263 ... 312!8i6656
You win. :box:

User avatar
Big L
Member
Posts: 4091
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 20:36
Location: B5012

Re: Too many traffic lights here?

Post by Big L » Mon Oct 21, 2019 13:33

fras wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:54
There is similar lunacy here on the A444 going out of Coventry.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.44836 ... 6656?hl=en

Just count up the number of signal heads on this roundabout !
Seems perfectly sensible to me. One at the line and one just beyond, on each side. Couple of far side repeaters. High level repeaters over the middle pair of 4 lanes.

Bear in mind this is a very busy 50mph road, with lots of lorries going in all directions.
Make poetry history.

jervi
Member
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 16:29
Location: Haywards Heath

Re: Too many traffic lights here?

Post by jervi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 15:02

Fortantly, and unfortunately that crossroads is due to be removed as part of plans of a new town in Horsham District. And instead replaced with a GSJ (by the sounds of news article a roundabout interchange). However a lot of the A24 are still at-grade, and i'd like to see those junctions to get some GSJ love as well.

User avatar
traffic-light-man
Member
Posts: 3695
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 18:45
Location: Liverpool, UK

Re: Too many traffic lights here?

Post by traffic-light-man » Tue Oct 22, 2019 14:53

My go to for this question would normally lie at this roundabout in Preston. The duplicated (on the same post) primaries on the main circulatory are of particular interest.
Simon :driving:

Post Reply