End of Carriageway sign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

End of Carriageway sign

Post by c2R »

I've never seen one of these before:

Apparently the bridge is private, and so the publicly maintained carriageway ends at that point.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
jervi

Re: End of Carriageway sign

Post by jervi »

Interesting find.
While it isn't a prescribed plate (obviously), it doesn't have to be since its on a private road, or start of.
Although what actually is a carriageway? surely a driveway or a track is still a carriageway.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Very silly! Clearly the carriageway doesn't end! Why not "Private road beyond this point. Authorised access only." ?
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 13:12 Very silly! Clearly the carriageway doesn't end! Why not "Private road beyond this point. Authorised access only." ?
I would point you very firmly towards the Highways Act 1980 and the legal definition of carriageway which is the only one to matter in this context.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 13:12 Very silly! Clearly the carriageway doesn't end! Why not "Private road beyond this point. Authorised access only." ?
If you want an 'end of' sign, surely 'End of public highway', as obviously the carriageway continues.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

RichardA35 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 13:49
I would point you very firmly towards the Highways Act 1980 and the legal definition of carriageway which is the only one to matter in this context.
Even given that, I think it's a bit of a push to say that an "other hazard" warning triangle with that text is the right way to indicate... well, whatever it is that the designer was trying to convey.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 05:37
Even given that, I think it's a bit of a push to say that an "other hazard" warning triangle with that text is the right way to indicate... well, whatever it is that the designer was trying to convey.
Maybe the (!) is chosen as the other hazard could be that the bridge is open and you drive straight into the river? And that the End of Carriageway plate is entirely separate to convey the additional warning that you've reached the end of the publicly maintained road. I agree though, it's up there with the dreadful signs of this world.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.944201, ... 312!8i6656
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It's East Yorkshire... signing isn't their strong point.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

"Public highway" may be the legal definition of "carriageway" but most road users are not legal experts so would consider "carriageway" to mean "hard road surface" so would share my confusion. Getting the message across clearly must be more important than legal exactitude? Especially in a case like this where no criminal proceedings could be affected as trespass onto a private road is not a crime.
stevenson3529

Post by stevenson3529 »

jgharston wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 00:04 If you want an 'end of' sign, surely 'End of public highway', as obviously the carriageway continues.

Like this one in Dunster, Somerset.
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

c2R wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 Maybe the (!) is chosen as the other hazard could be that the bridge is open and you drive straight into the river? And that the End of Carriageway plate is entirely separate to convey the additional warning that you've reached the end of the publicly maintained road. I agree though, it's up there with the dreadful signs of this world.

The sign in view says "private bridge" but if you pan around you can see the bridge is also signed as a "public bridleway" :confused:
vlad

Post by vlad »

crazyknightsfan wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 01:15
c2R wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 Maybe the (!) is chosen as the other hazard could be that the bridge is open and you drive straight into the river? And that the End of Carriageway plate is entirely separate to convey the additional warning that you've reached the end of the publicly maintained road. I agree though, it's up there with the dreadful signs of this world.

The sign in view says "private bridge" but if you pan around you can see the bridge is also signed as a "public bridleway" :confused:
I don't see any reason why it can't be both.

A public bridleway is a right-of-way open to walkers, cyclists and horse riders. There's nothing saying they can't cross private land - in fact many of them do. It's motor traffic that's prohibited from going beyond the "end of carriageway" sign.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath