How do I contact the council about possibly collecting street lights they have removed?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Divine

How do I contact the council about possibly collecting street lights they have removed?

Post by Divine »

Sounds like a silly question really, but I've seen a few sites show some yards with old street lights dumped in piles etc and a lot of people seem to get them from the council, I am curious as of how. SOX here is almost dead and I'm interested in picking up a few fittings before they all disappear. I don't know who to speak to really. Sorry if the title sounds very silly.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: How do I contact the council about possibly collecting street lights they have removed?

Post by Steven »

Try contacting your local top tier council's Highways Department. Their information will be on the council website.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Divine

Re: How do I contact the council about possibly collecting street lights they have removed?

Post by Divine »

Steven wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 20:05 Try contacting your local top tier council's Highways Department. Their information will be on the council website.
Thanks Steven.
Little Owl

Post by Little Owl »

I find that I have to try many councils, at least here from the point of view of London, because while I know that the WEEE regulations meant well to combat electronic waste, it has caused some councils to flatly reject requests for old street lights, due to the excessive obsession with Health and Safety.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Little Owl wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:26 I find that I have to try many councils, at least here from the point of view of London, because while I know that the WEEE regulations meant well to combat electronic waste, it has caused some councils to flatly reject requests for old street lights, due to the excessive obsession with Health and Safety.
I'd call that legitimate environmental protection rather than a health and safety obsession. The last thing that I'd want to see is someone collecting thousands of old streetlights for free from local authorities, to melt down the valuable parts and discard the bits that they don't want in landfill, without processing it properly. Mercury, SOX, etc. are all pretty nasty things that should be disposed of properly.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps