Could you park here?!

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Re: Could you park here?!

Post by AndyB »

And next time you're out and about, you'll realise that most rural classified roads without a footway have single width solid white lines :)

The double width line used for hard shoulders doesn't have a particular significance beyond visibility. If the road isn't a clearway or a motorway, you can lawfully park on the hard shoulder.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

:twisted: s
AndyB wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:46 And next time you're out and about, you'll realise that most rural classified roads without a footway have single width solid white lines :)
I had noticed that, I just assumed they were clearways. :oops: In future I'll remember I'm allowed to park unless there's double white lines in the centre. I doubt there's many places on such roads it would be sensible to park though.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Yeah, if you're on a rural road it's considerate to get off the carriageway if you can. Saves using parking lights!
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

There are double white lines here, yet cars have always parked along there meaning you almost always have to straddle them. I've never seen tickets on them.
Britain

Post by Britain »

AndyB wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:46 And next time you're out and about, you'll realise that most rural classified roads without a footway have single width solid white lines :)

The double width line used for hard shoulders doesn't have a particular significance beyond visibility. If the road isn't a clearway or a motorway, you can lawfully park on the hard shoulder.
Speaking of hard shoulders, what actually defines a hard shoulder? A road with a hard shoulder that isn't a motorway or a clearway, would you get in trouble for driving in it? I'd assume so but I'm not sure what on.
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Britain wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 02:35

Speaking of hard shoulders, what actually defines a hard shoulder? A road with a hard shoulder that isn't a motorway or a clearway, would you get in trouble for driving in it? I'd assume so but I'm not sure what on.
On an all-purpose road, a solid white line along the edge of the carriageway is simply an edge marker - some roads have their edge marker deliberately away from the kerb to narrow the lane as a form of traffic calming but AFAIK it's quite legal to straddle that line to allow vehicles to overtake more easily - and in the same way, to drive within that line if it's even wider.
Lifelong motorhead
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

AndyB wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:57 For whatever reason, they cancel Clearway restrictions explicitly when a road becomes a motorway, which I agree seems pretty pointless, but they (together with the start of the restriction on the other carriageway) should be co-sited with the chopsticks, and at the end of the sliproads where they meet the B5061. If that's not what the TRO says, the TRO would seem pretty daft...
I did query this situation at M1 J10, where the clearway ended before the roundabout: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.85402 ... 312!8i6656 This appears to have been later remedied: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.85402 ... 312!8i6656
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps