M1 motorway gantries

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

mbeatts

M1 motorway gantries

Post by mbeatts »

Hi all,

Just a quick question. I travel up and down between Newcastle and Loughbrough weekly and noticed something on the M1 Smart Motorway gantries. Does anyone know why on most of the gantries they have all the brackets on for speed camera plus have the lines on the road but no speed cameras attached?

Always wondered why. Cheers!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: M1 moterway gantries

Post by Big L »

mbeatts wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 17:23 Hi all,

Just a quick question. I travel up and down between Newcastle and Loughbrough weekly and noticed something on the M1 Smart Motorway gantries. Does anyone know why on most of the gantries they have all the brackets on for speed camera plus have the lines on the road but no speed cameras attached?

Always wondered why. Cheers!
Easier to move the cameras around.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Are they of the HADECS3 type or older GATSOs mounted above each lane? I would have thought most of the GATSOs are being replaced by the HADECS3 ones as part of smart motorway works.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

c2R wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 23:26 Are they of the HADECS3 type or older GATSOs mounted above each lane? I would have thought most of the GATSOs are being replaced by the HADECS3 ones as part of smart motorway works.
I don’t think there are any GATSO cameras left north of Luton, and not many left south of there either.

Nottingham-Mansfield had GATSOs at intervals, with every gantry equipped with ladder markings and camera mounts, but the GATSOs are all gone now and replaced with HADECS.
darkcape

Re: M1 motorway gantries

Post by darkcape »

Gatos are all gone between Nottingham and Sheffield. M25 to Bedford doesn't have any either, any remaining boxes on 6a-10 are empty. It's HADECS3 all the way!
Markings still remain as a deterrent but aren't being renewed.

Just be aware some of the HADECS3 locations can be changed around, there are two sites at J13 and J26 that come and go.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Off topic but gantry related. Always been curious as to why some gantries on the M1 are painted brown and some aren't it's totally at random too. The sign ones are also painted brown and sometimes the CCTV poles.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

L.J.D wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 07:27Off topic but gantry related. Always been curious as to why some gantries on the M1 are painted brown and some aren't it's totally at random too. The sign ones are also painted brown and sometimes the CCTV poles.
They're only brown on a specific length of the M1 through Derbyshire where they have been painted that colour to blend them in to the landscape better. If I remember rightly, the point is not to blend them in to the landscape from the motorist's point of view (which is good, because it doesn't work) but rather to make them less obvious when viewed from a nearby stately home. The ones that are grey in that area are evidently not visible from there.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 19:15
L.J.D wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 07:27Off topic but gantry related. Always been curious as to why some gantries on the M1 are painted brown and some aren't it's totally at random too. The sign ones are also painted brown and sometimes the CCTV poles.
They're only brown on a specific length of the M1 through Derbyshire where they have been painted that colour to blend them in to the landscape better. If I remember rightly, the point is not to blend them in to the landscape from the motorist's point of view (which is good, because it doesn't work) but rather to make them less obvious when viewed from a nearby stately home. The ones that are grey in that area are evidently not visible from there.
I'd wondered about that too. Why brown? Why not dark green like Tinsley Viaduct or striped blue like some large warehouses?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:44
Chris5156 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 19:15
I'd wondered about that too. Why brown? Why not dark green like Tinsley Viaduct or striped blue like some large warehouses?
Probably because from a distance brown blends in far better. Most street furniture in Paris is brown and you hardly see it intruding on the street scene even when set against the white stone buildings of the city.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck