Lethal Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jervi

Lethal Signs

Post by jervi »

Please share examples of lethal signs you have seen around.
So any sign, where if you carry out what it says, or what it says you can do, could result in a lethal incident.
Hopefully there are not too many examples.
Here are some that I know of
*Instruting drivers to use an oncoming laneAs mentioned on the "Why don't lane indication signs tell you all you need to know? thread"
*Proceed the wrong way up the dual carriageway
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: Lethal Signs

Post by Bryn666 »

jervi wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 15:28 Please share examples of lethal signs you have seen around.
So any sign, where if you carry out what it says, or what it says you can do, could result in a lethal incident.
Hopefully there are not too many examples.
Here are some that I know of
*Instruting drivers to use an oncoming laneAs mentioned on the "Why don't lane indication signs tell you all you need to know? thread"
*Proceed the wrong way up the dual carriageway
It would be better to direct your concerns to the highway authorities - Brighton and Hove Council and Highways England respectively. Ensure you mention 'designer's liability' and costs to the relevant organisations should a fatal incident be attributed to misleading road signs; particularly the turn left arrow which is a S36 traffic sign and thus the police can endorse a licence for failure to comply with the instruction given.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Richard_Fairhurst

Post by Richard_Fairhurst »

I've mentioned it before, but this road marking in Worcester city centre:

"A blue sign with 'ahead only'? And a marking saying 'Bus & Bike Lane'? Excellent, I'll cycle up here."

(sound of bike hitting oncoming bus)

I did report it to Worcestershire County Council and, to their credit, they've since changed it: use the Street View control to go to the present day, and the text is now written in the opposite direction.
Help map the world: openstreetmap.org
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

The one on the A293 would be fine if it just said "200 yds ahead" (or however far it actually is). Better to be told in advance than, as happens so often, the only clue is arrow markings on the road that you can't see until it's too late because other vehicles are already queuing on top of them.
Britain

Post by Britain »

There seems to be a common theme in this country of putting keep left/right/either side bollards instead of the plain white circle bollard. I even saw one in Liverpool directing traffic down a no entry.
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.
jervi

Post by jervi »

The sign in the first link of the original post has now been removed. Think it was removed a month of so ago, but haven't been down that way until yesterday. Got a reply from the Brighton and Hove Highway Signs team a couple of days after my email, they said they would removed it within a week.
yen_powell

Post by yen_powell »

When I knock up a plan showing signs for a scheme I normally just put the diagram numbers for each plate. However if priority signs are being used (you know, give way to oncoming vehicles at a pinch point) I actually show examples in elevation because I have seen quite a few where the circular 615 is upside down so the larger arrow is pointing upwards and on the left hand side. I know most drivers don't even look at them, just aim and accelerate, but I don't want it being flagged up in an accident report after a head on collision.