Most northern sign for LONDON

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bfivethousand

Re: Most northern sign for LONDON

Post by Bfivethousand »

I know, I was merely agreeing with you about SC πŸ˜‰

Harwich and Felixstowe must be good shouts in terms of actual towns though.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
crb11

Post by crb11 »

Bfivethousand wrote: ↑Wed Feb 05, 2020 21:24 For England, Scotch Corner probably wins in terms of population (although... Dartford Crossing?)

But in terms of distance vs population this sign probably wins first and second prize.
If we're going for straight ratios, that's easily beaten. For instance, Lynton is signposted from Barnstaple 20 miles away, and has a population of 1157. Harwich, the better of the two options on that sign is about 17000, 15 times the size, so would need to be about 300 miles away to match. I also found Wells-next-the-Sea 16 3/4 in Hunstanton which is marginally behind Harwich, but well above Felixstowe on this measure.
[real name Colin]
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

DavidB wrote: ↑Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:42 Jedburgh which has a population of about 9,000 gets signed from 56 miles away in Newcastle:
https://goo.gl/maps/NHgsEBKBC5VicKjJ8
After Ponteland, there are hardly any settlements on the A696/68 and Jedburgh is the first significant settlement on this route north of Ponteland. Also it's signposted from Corbridge on the A69.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Alderpoint wrote: ↑Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:37
ajuk wrote: ↑Sun Feb 02, 2020 00:35 What's the smallest place to have a sign for it furthest away relative to its population? I bet it's Cirencester.
Either this one, or this one in the opposite direction.
(Assuming you are meaning in mainland UK.)
There's a sign on the A9 just north of Inverness that warns you: John O'Groats 111

I couldn't believe it was that far!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Owain wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 19:28There's a sign on the A9 just north of Inverness that warns you: John O'Groats 111

Drifting off topic, but in a similar vein I am always surprised, passing Launceston on the A30, to realise I'm still over 70 miles from Penzance. I've just checked and it doesn't even make the route confirmation signs at that point - the furthest signposted at Launceston is Redruth at 50+ miles.

This is the basis of my First Rule of Driving in Cornwall: it's further than you think to Penzance. Same rule applies in the Highlands - simply substitute the name of whatever place you're heading for!
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Owain wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 19:28
ajuk wrote: ↑Sun Feb 02, 2020 00:35 What's the smallest place to have a sign for it furthest away relative to its population? I bet it's Cirencester.
There's a sign on the A9 just north of Inverness that warns you: John O'Groats 111

One of my favourite signs is the one on the A9 somewhere north of Inverness (sorry can't find it on GSV) which says:

THE SOUTH
Inverness XX
Let it snow.
Cian

Post by Cian »

Westport, as the terminal destination of a primary route with ~9500 population has non-distanced signs ~250km away and there's distanced RCSs at ~235km - none on the more urban sections I think.

I believe its the lowest population of a primary route destination that isn't one of the port/airport additions made in the 90s which would make anywhere smaller in Ireland very unlikely to have significant distance signs to it; but I would not be surprised to be proved wrong there.

9500:250 does just need a town of 100 to have a sign 3km away from it to beat it when you drill it down of course!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

This is not a northerly one, but a few years ago I was surprised to discover an old and mildew-covered sign (a green sign that was even more 'green' than it should have been!) on the A40 in Cheltenham saying "London 94". I thought it odd that there was no mention of Oxford!

Viva la Repubblica!
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Cian wrote: ↑Sat Feb 08, 2020 01:48
Westport, as the terminal destination of a primary route with ~9500 population has non-distanced signs ~250km away and there's distanced RCSs at ~235km - none on the more urban sections I think.

I believe its the lowest population of a primary route destination that isn't one of the port/airport additions made in the 90s which would make anywhere smaller in Ireland very unlikely to have significant distance signs to it; but I would not be surprised to be proved wrong there.

9500:250 does just need a town of 100 to have a sign 3km away from it to beat it when you drill it down of course!
On the same vein, Sweden has the border town of Haparanda, population 4856 and signed some 650km away in Sundsvall and possibly further south still. Intermediate towns such as Umea, Skelleftea and Lulea are seldom mentioned, at least not on the main drag.

Sweden's primary destination strategy (*) is a little odd. Sundsvall is heavily signed along E4 from the Stockholm area, however there is little mention of Uppsala - closer to Stockholm (albeit part of the outer metro area) and three times the population - or Gavle, also with a somewhat larger population than Sundsvall.

(*) disclaimer - I'm not entirely sure whether E-route destination strategies are determined at national and / or European levels...
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
R Iason

Post by R Iason »

Braemar in the Cairngorms has a population of only around 800. Yet its the primary destination signed from both ends of the A93 (Aberdeen 58 miles and Perth 49 miles). Though its a popular tourist destination it's still surprising given how there are more populated villages and towns (Banchory, Aboyne, Ballater) along the A93 from Aberdeen that don't end up warranting the primary destination on the road signs. It's even signed from as far away as Grantown on Spey, the A9 near Pitlochry and both the mainline and spur of the M90 near Perth.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Chris5156 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 21:53 Drifting off topic, but in a similar vein I am always surprised, passing Launceston on the A30, to realise I'm still over 70 miles from Penzance. I've just checked and it doesn't even make the route confirmation signs at that point - the furthest signposted at Launceston is Redruth at 50+ miles.

This is the basis of my First Rule of Driving in Cornwall: it's further than you think to Penzance. Same rule applies in the Highlands - simply substitute the name of whatever place you're heading for!
That reminds me of describing Plymouth as "near the end of the country" and being told "We don't think so : there's another two hours of it left."

Of course it would apply the other way too. They'd reach Sheffield and think "We're in The North now. There's not much more of England." Obviously no one here considers Scotland is close.
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Owain wrote: ↑Sat Feb 08, 2020 08:23 This is not a northerly one, but a few years ago I was surprised to discover an old and mildew-covered sign (a green sign that was even more 'green' than it should have been!) on the A40 in Cheltenham saying "London 94". I thought it odd that there was no mention of Oxford!
If it was this one you meant, Oxford is on there too, at 42 miles! :-P
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
Bertiebus

Post by Bertiebus »

Big L wrote: ↑Mon Feb 03, 2020 15:06 Campbeltown population 4850ish is signposted at 99 miles at the start of the A83 by Loch Lomond.
That's because its ladies sing this song... oh, hang on... :)
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Gareth Thomas wrote: ↑Sat Feb 08, 2020 23:49
Owain wrote: ↑Sat Feb 08, 2020 08:23 This is not a northerly one, but a few years ago I was surprised to discover an old and mildew-covered sign (a green sign that was even more 'green' than it should have been!) on the A40 in Cheltenham saying "London 94". I thought it odd that there was no mention of Oxford!
If it was this one you meant, Oxford is on there too, at 42 miles! :-P
You're quite right - I remember the faded zero.

I must have been so surpised to see London on there that my mind blocked out Oxford! :facepalm:

Viva la Repubblica!
Petrichor

Post by Petrichor »

Big L wrote: ↑Mon Feb 03, 2020 15:06 Campbeltown population 4850ish is signposted at 99 miles at the start of the A83 by Loch Lomond.
This one's a bit farther
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.38625 ... 312!8i6656
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Bertiebus wrote: ↑Sun Feb 09, 2020 07:26
That's because its ladies sing this song... oh, hang on... :)
This one's Loch is made of whisky...
Built for comfort, not speed.
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

Chris5156 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 21:53
Owain wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 19:28There's a sign on the A9 just north of Inverness that warns you: John O'Groats 111

Drifting off topic, but in a similar vein I am always surprised, passing Launceston on the A30, to realise I'm still over 70 miles from Penzance. I've just checked and it doesn't even make the route confirmation signs at that point - the furthest signposted at Launceston is Redruth at 50+ miles.

I remember once having to drive from Portsmouth to Penzance withut having really considered the distance. Google maps says about 5 hours, which sounds about right, but it just seemed to go on forever.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Halmyre wrote: ↑Mon Feb 10, 2020 07:16
Chris5156 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 21:53

I remember once having to drive from Portsmouth to Penzance withut having really considered the distance. Google maps says about 5 hours, which sounds about right, but it just seemed to go on forever.
I think some people don't realise how long the south coast of England actually is. I think Penzance is slightly further from Margate than Newcastle-upon-Tyne is.

I've been involved with athletics for a number of years and the sport's South of England area stretches from Cornwall to Norfolk. A few years ago the Southern cross-country Champs were about to be held a few miles east of Exeter. An official I knew from near Portsmouth told me that someone had said that it will be nice for her to have an event more local to her than those held in the London area! As it was, those people who did drove to Devon from London for the event were surprised that it was a quicker journey in January than during the summer holidays. :roll:
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

I should have said, apart from Land's End and John O'Groats.
agc2070

Post by agc2070 »

I remember there being a route confirmation sign for Campbeltown on the A82 near the Erskine Bridge at 125 miles. It amazed me at the time when the furthest mention of London on the A1 was 121 miles at the time.

However in terms of miles per population Brenzett (pop 379) takes some beating with the furthest mention being 13 miles away in Kennington, Ashford. The village is in the process of losing its pseudo-primary status though as all modern signs on the A2070 sign Hastings instead.

Other notable ones from Kent are Swanley signed 36 miles away on the M20 at Ashford, and Hawkhurst signed 21.75 miles away on the B2192 east of Ringmer, East Sussex. I believe that Hawkhurst is classified as a local destination so Kent County Council's policy states 'no signage beyond five miles,' thus it is punching well above its weight.

In terms of miles per population a small village like Bonnington (pop 100) eclipses even Brenzett, with a sign at the maximum 'five miles' away in Dymchurch. It's weird how statistics work!