Non official traffic signs - UK & IRL

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

shanklyone

Non official traffic signs - UK & IRL

Post by shanklyone »

Can any of you point me in the direction of any non legally binding traffic signs that can be used in the UK/IRL to warn drivers of an upcoming hazard? As an example I'm thinking of the Twenty's Plenty signs that can be seen dotted about. I dont think these have any legal meaning but they are simply there to raise awareness. There could also be traffic signs used by authorities around schools and upon entering BUA'S?
Thanks for any help.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: Non official traffic signs - UK & IRL

Post by Big L »

Are any warning signs legally binding? Other signs will be, but not warnings.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
jervi

Post by jervi »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.99007 ... 312!8i6656
There is this one here. Seems to be installed and constructed up to standard, just the sign isn't as prescribed.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Big L wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 14:27 Are any warning signs legally binding? Other signs will be, but not warnings.
Not directly but if you ignored one that could be used against you in court.

Wahey 500th post! I shall award myself a beer* to celebrate reaching a meaningless arbitrary milestone that only looks nice because we have ten fingers digits and didn't realise in time that something with more factors would make a more convenient base for a counting system.

*when I get home. FTAOD I shall not be having one at work.
:coat:
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

shanklyone wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 14:23 Can any of you point me in the direction of any non legally binding traffic signs that can be used in the UK/IRL to warn drivers of an upcoming hazard? As an example I'm thinking of the Twenty's Plenty signs that can be seen dotted about. I dont think these have any legal meaning but they are simply there to raise awareness. There could also be traffic signs used by authorities around schools and upon entering BUA'S?
Thanks for any help.
The non-red bordered speed signs are official signs, they just one of the various ways to advise of "Advisory Speed Limit"
Britain

Post by Britain »

shanklyone wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 14:23 Can any of you point me in the direction of any non legally binding traffic signs that can be used in the UK/IRL to warn drivers of an upcoming hazard? As an example I'm thinking of the Twenty's Plenty signs that can be seen dotted about. I dont think these have any legal meaning but they are simply there to raise awareness. There could also be traffic signs used by authorities around schools and upon entering BUA'S?
Thanks for any help.
What about those signs that advise you that the speed limit is reducing in 300, 200, 100 yards?

There was also one I found on GSV that said do not cross if water is over x feet, it was at a ford.
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.