Longest distance between signs for a place

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

agc2070

Longest distance between signs for a place

Post by agc2070 »

The thread on discontinuous signage made me wonder what the longest gap between consecutive signs for a place is.

The best one I can think of is 'Canterbury 63' on the A272 at Newick and the next mention being 'Canterbury 24' (I think) on a RC sign on the A28 at High Halden. The same post at Newick has 'Winchester 68' so I wondered how long it is until the next sign for Winchester along the A272 route - does it top a gap of 39 miles?

Another long one is 'Folkestone 69' on a RC sign in the South Circular in London, with the next mention being 'Folkestone 45' on a RC sign on the M20 near Ryarsh - a gap of 34 miles. Please correct this if incorrect.
the cheesecake man

Re: Longest distance between signs for a place

Post by the cheesecake man »

There's a sign at John O'Groats pointing to Land's End. Is suspect it's over 800 miles to the next one. :coat:
TS

Post by TS »

At Roundhouse Roundabout on the A31 in Dorset there is this curious sign for "London, Ringwood", correctly in green but without the road number, which I've always thought a bit strange as all nearby signage on that road refers primarily to Ringwood, supplemented by the likes of Wimborne, Poole or Bournemouth.

I'm not sure where the next 'London' sign is but I expect it's well onto the M27 on the mainline (London, for example, signposted on the slip-road onto the M27 at Junction 1, but not on the mainline A31>M27 there.

It's about 32 miles from Roundhouse to Rownhams Services, although there may be further mention of London before Rownhams.
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 13:43 There's a sign at John O'Groats pointing to Land's End. Is suspect it's over 800 miles to the next one. :coat:
There's a sign at Land's End pointing to New York. :P
TS

Post by TS »

TS wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:28 At Roundhouse Roundabout on the A31 in Dorset there is this curious sign for "London, Ringwood", correctly in green but without the road number, which I've always thought a bit strange as all nearby signage on that road refers primarily to Ringwood, supplemented by the likes of Wimborne, Poole or Bournemouth.

I'm not sure where the next 'London' sign is but I expect it's well onto the M27 on the mainline (London, for example, signposted on the slip-road onto the M27 at Junction 1, but not on the mainline A31>M27 there.

It's about 32 miles from Roundhouse to Rownhams Services, although there may be further mention of London before Rownhams.
Actually, having driven along the A31 today, London is signed approaching Ashley Heath and there's a route confirmation sign up Poulner Hill (but not then until Cadnam. London is signed literally just before the off slip at Cadnam rather than on one of the earlier signs.)