Nudge pedestrian crossing trial

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

WHBM

Re: Nudge pedestrian crossing trial

Post by WHBM »

Gareth wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 22:59 What on earth is that all about? It looks hideous.
Similar, though not quite as bad, in Stratford, East London

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5425488 ... 384!8i8192

Has there been some free rein allowed on crossing markings ?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

WHBM wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 15:02
Gareth wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 22:59 What on earth is that all about? It looks hideous.
Has there been some free rein allowed on crossing markings ?
Was there for the "gay" traffic lights that have sprung up in major cities throughout the Western world?

I suspect not and I'd be surprised if the DfT had anything like what Liverpool has done in mind, if an experiment was granted.

Pedestrian crossing facilities are safety critical prices of infrastructure and shouldn't be used to make political or artistic statements.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

rhyds wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 13:18 It truly looks like someone got absolutely out of their skull on hallucinogenics then fired up Mario Kart and thought it was the best template to use to set up a pedestrian crossing
It's what I call Liverpool's Pepperland tendancy. See also the Mersey ferry they've painted in a similar fashion and, thus, looks similarly awful.
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

Apologies if I’ve missed something but what is the supposed intention of these crossings that a normal pelican crossing can’t achieve?

If it’s to stop pedestrians crossing outside the studs (and into stopping traffic), then why not just erect barriers up to the nearside signals and forget about the tacky markings altogether.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I had reason to pass through the Old Swan crossing last night and it prompted me to note that there doesn't seem to have been any news following the trial of these crossings since their removal.

Their fate is that, thankfully, the crossing areas have been painted over in black HFS, all the gold stickers and light boxes have been removed from the signal poles and the signage and stickers have been removed from the guard rails and bollards. The only remnants are the markings on the footway which now just look like a strange collection of dashes and arrow heads.
Simon
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

traffic-light-man wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 09:12 I had reason to pass through the Old Swan crossing last night and it prompted me to note that there doesn't seem to have been any news following the trial of these crossings since their removal.

Their fate is that, thankfully, the crossing areas have been painted over in black HFS, all the gold stickers and light boxes have been removed from the signal poles and the signage and stickers have been removed from the guard rails and bollards. The only remnants are the markings on the footway which now just look like a strange collection of dashes and arrow heads.
Hopefully filed under "WTF were we thinking".
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Seconded.

Is the psychedelic crossing on Hanover Street still there? That was even worse, as it had actual slogans on the crosswalk, which seems like a dangerous distraction.

On a slightly different tack though: I do wonder if the crosswalk area should actually be marked on controlled pedestrian crossings. Obviously, zebra crossings have white stripes between the studs/squares, but at traffic signals it's just blank, like you find at uncontrolled crossing places.

Hong Kong uses yellow stripes where there's pedestrian signals. Uncontrolled have no pattern (like here) and zebras have white stripes (again, like here). I quite like it.
Last edited by Gareth on Fri Mar 25, 2022 19:16, edited 2 times in total.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Gareth wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:58 Hong Kong uses yellow stripes where there's pedestrian signals. Uncontrolled have no pattern (like here) and zebras have white stripes (again, like here). I quite like it.
I quite like that suggestion as well.

One of my main criticisms of Swedish road markings is that zebra markings are used for all pedestrian crossings, whether light-controlled or not.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

The Hanover Street one has met the same fate. Though curiously, they've added a second offside duplicate primary heading W/B, so the right hand side primary pole now has two signal heads on it, one of them angled towards Bold Street which is one way away from the crossing.

I believe the DfT's view on these painted crossings is (or at least, was) that they're not road signs and so they can't have a stand point with regards to the TSRGD. I think the gold signal poles and silly light boxes could've attracted some additional thoughts though, given the appearance of the signals are regulated. But of course this all loops back around to the highways authority being responsible for ensuring compliance also being the same highways authority promoting such things.
Simon
WhiteBlueRed

Post by WhiteBlueRed »

Here in Russia, when a crossing needs to be wider than usual, they just paint two standard 6-meter wide crossings next to each other. They have arrows to direct pedestrians where to walk, but many, myself included, do not obey them because IMO they're pretty ridiculous.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png
This one is a crossing across a residential street in Divnogorsk. Owing to the low traffic volumes, in the UK this would've been simply an informal crossing.